Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Would you support condom dispensers in your local high school?

Posted by   + Show Post

Condom Dispensers Could Be Coming to a High School Near You

Posted by Jeanne Sager on December 27, 2012

condomsReady for a twist in the old "should teenagers have access to birth control" debate? Some 22 high schools in Philadelphia will be welcoming students back in the new year with brand new condom dispensers. So is this a matter of schools overstepping their bounds and infringing on parents rights? Or is this just one way the schools fulfill their role in kids' lives?

After all, Philadelphia's deputy mayor of health was questioned about the condom dispensers, and he explained that schools are partners with parents in raising kids. Put it that way, and schools giving our kids condoms is really the responsible thing to do, right?

Let's just think about this for a minute.

It's ultimately a parent's responsibility to keep kids safe. That's why most parents who really think things through would side with preventing STDs over pretending their precious little snowflake will never ever ever have sex.

But parents have already ceded a significant amount of control over the welfare of our kids to the schools. We more or less have to, considering our kids typically spend more of their waking hours on a school campus than they do with us.

We already expect the schools to help us prepare our kids for the real world, expanding classes beyond mere reading, writing, and 'rithmetic to life skills' training in the likes of driving and often basic parenting skills. In many places, sex ed is even part of the curriculum (and rightly so).

So why not? Why shouldn't schools be as proactive as parents are or at least as parents should be? Why shouldn't they help us prepare kids for safe sex?

Would you support condom dispensers in your local high school?

by on Dec. 27, 2012 at 10:02 AM
Replies (451-460):
yinyang6788
by on Dec. 30, 2012 at 2:15 AM
I would support it. My son won't be a priest, I'll say that much.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
DoraAug
by on Dec. 30, 2012 at 2:25 AM

You know I really don't really care who my kids get the protection from anyone. And if they get some kind of edutation on safe sex even better. I mean as a parent you need to be honest to yourself. Our kids are not going to talk to us and in fact the get upset if the subject comes up. My boys are the most important people in my life and it would be a shame that out of petty ignorance God forbid something awful would happened to them. 

GwenGray
by on Dec. 30, 2012 at 2:27 AM

yes

eykelley
by on Dec. 30, 2012 at 2:31 AM
I vote yes.

Only becuz, I graduated high school 6 years ago. I remember what it was like. I would hope my son is comfortable asking me for condoms, which I would GLADLY give him. And I hope that my daughter would also carry condoms in case. I plan for her to be on some sort of BC. But, since she is only 4 months old, we'll discuss that later hahaha
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
keriley1
by Member on Dec. 30, 2012 at 2:33 AM

Yes. Better they get them somewhere then be to nervous to ask and go without. No one can stop a horny teen no matter how much they think their kid wont do it.

Bellarose0212
by Bronze Member on Dec. 30, 2012 at 3:36 AM

I agree. I definitely think they should get proper instructions on use of condoms and care of condoms (don't keep them in your wallet where they can wear, etc.) at the least with the free condoms. And more sex ed. as well so they know to always wear them even if it is their first time, even if she is on her period, even if she plans to rinse herself off/out afterward, etc. Free condoms, absolutely, along with comprehensive sex ed.

Quoting nuclear_sugar:

I'd actually prefer they have to get them FROM someone- nurse, counselor, whatever. So that someone knows they are making these choices and can keep an eye on them. I do support them being available for free though

JTnJT
by on Dec. 30, 2012 at 3:53 AM

Although I have never seen any of these scientific studies, I am not surprised by such an outcome.  Although my mother may have lacked in other areas of parenting....there were some things that were always..."open" in our home....one of which was anything related to sexuality....my mother always said..."There is going to come a time when influences inside your own body are going to help push along your curiosities about sex, so whenever you want to know anything, just ask."  I don't know...although there were times I debated with myself about asking....ultimately I would.   My parents had the same "open" policy about alcohol, smoking and drugs.....I remember having a small glass of wine at the dinner table with my parents at a young age...it wasn't ever made out to be a big thing...as such...I never was interested in going out and getting drunk as a teenager...I always questioned...what's the point?  Needless to say I wasn't very popular with those who thought it was cool to sneak around and drink.  I don't know, it just seems to me that when the stigma is taken away...and replaced with education...ultimately, even teenagers can make smart choices.

Quoting Clairwil:

This is something that's received massive scientific scrutiny, and the results of the studies have been exceptionally clear, and in agreement with each other, no matter where it is tried, or who runs the study.

Anonymous condom machines in schools decrease the rate of teen pregnancy and sexually transmitted diseases.

They do NOT increase the number of pupils deciding to have sex.

Avitar
by Member on Dec. 30, 2012 at 3:56 AM

Yes, along with sex education.

Carmen_CO
by on Dec. 30, 2012 at 4:10 AM
Absolutely! Comprehensive sex education is the first step to preventing teen pregnancy and the spread of STDs. Free or cheap birth control is the second step. Parents also need to have conversations with their kids. Preferably conversations without judgements or ultimatums.
DragonMom25
by on Dec. 30, 2012 at 8:37 AM

ok that is not what you teach your kids, but realize that is what is taught to some kids.  and unless you homeschool and do not socialize your children at all they will run into someone who has had less sex ed than I did.

everyone on here is trying to be a better parent (than they were yesterday, not against each other), it is the other parents who do not care or have the time to care.  I have a friend that morgaged her son to buy a child from another country now that girl calls her momma, but even after 2 years the only time she sees momma is for 5 minutes morning and night.  Momma thinks her AIDS cannot be transfered from new daughter to son (even when he kisses her bloody boo boos while he just lost a baby tooth).  the addition of this very sepcial needs child has caused her to ignore her minor special needs son, and the 75 grand it cost the family to go get her bancrupted the family (twice!).  now the parents hold 5 jobs trying to keep her in a daycare.  when will she speak of sex education to either child?  they higher people to take thier son to scouts because they do not have time.

look these condoms are not for the ones who will talk to their parents, have enough gumption to talk to a nurse or councilor, have access to a store that will not card them for condoms (I have had it happen), it is for kids without the support of a solid family-probably none of the kids from parents on here!  Public school teaches sex education along with STDs-my teen will never have unprotected sex-why because he told me so because of the STDs (apparently they look at them in stark detail-kind of a scare tactic)  Also he has his own box of condoms that he can experiment with-I provided.  Told him I would like him to wait-but that if he did not here was a way to at least protect himself from some STDs and the possibility of becoming a teen father.

Quoting moneysaver6:

Um. No. That's not even CLOSE to what we have taught and will teach our children. I'm sorry that you had crummy parents. I'm also sorry that you made the choice to rebel.

While you are right that some kids have sex, not all of them do. Sex is not something that kids MUST do.

Quoting DragonMom25:

Does that education include: burning in hell for the original sins of Eve?  that was my sex education from my parents.  you have sex and the devil walks between your legs and you burn in hell for eternity.  the blood runs when the devil is hungry and waiting, god is mad with you, he tares at you to remind you to not have sex, you will pay for the original sin...

look sex ed in school was not great (had no idea what to expect or how to do it), but it was a lot better than anything I got from my bible thumping parents.  even learned how to put a condom on a banana.  So terrified of my parents I was never able to ask anyone for condoms (the school Shrink had already broken my confidence and called my mother on me about "private talks" we had had about my schooling issues).  Luckily my mother plied me with lots of junk food, soda, and video games (Atari) so that I was 200 pounds at 14 and no one would have slept with me even if I paid them.  

in college I finally had access to condoms, no access to junk food/soda, plenty of exercise (big campus) and I dropped 60 pounds and found a boyfriend.  I finished college married with 2 kids some 6 years later.  Had I not had such a "perfect god fearing mother" I may have been more likely to have insisted that every time we wear a rain coat, instead of when he remembered.  (coming up on 17 years of marrage...)

Kids have Sex, Teen pregnancy is the head of the pimple to that, there are many who do not get pregnant (have you ever tried to have a kid and have your timing off?) that are the underlying issue of that pimple.  putting on a rain coat (now to get access somehow) is a great way to allow these active kids to be at least a little respectful of themselves and attempt to not spread whatever diseases around like lice in Kindergarten!

Get them everywhere!  even in my teen's private school!  Not every parent will raise a child who will wait, they may pressure the ones whose parent's did tell them to wait-and guess what this is a great way for a teen to rebel (parents can't take it away because the act is already done!)  (look you took my xbox so the only thing I have left to do is have sex...)

Yes, Hell Yes, get those condoms where kids do not have to face a dissaproving adult.  If they have questions they know the health ed teacher, the coaches, and the nurse will help them if their parents will not!

Quoting moneysaver6:

My children have received and will continue to receive age-appropriate sex education...by us (as it should be). 

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Do you allow your children, or would  you, to attend sex ed classes in school?

Quoting moneysaver6:

No.  I don't support my tax dollars that should be going to EDUCATION instead going to condoms.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)