Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Would you support condom dispensers in your local high school?

Posted by   + Show Post

Condom Dispensers Could Be Coming to a High School Near You

Posted by Jeanne Sager on December 27, 2012

condomsReady for a twist in the old "should teenagers have access to birth control" debate? Some 22 high schools in Philadelphia will be welcoming students back in the new year with brand new condom dispensers. So is this a matter of schools overstepping their bounds and infringing on parents rights? Or is this just one way the schools fulfill their role in kids' lives?

After all, Philadelphia's deputy mayor of health was questioned about the condom dispensers, and he explained that schools are partners with parents in raising kids. Put it that way, and schools giving our kids condoms is really the responsible thing to do, right?

Let's just think about this for a minute.

It's ultimately a parent's responsibility to keep kids safe. That's why most parents who really think things through would side with preventing STDs over pretending their precious little snowflake will never ever ever have sex.

But parents have already ceded a significant amount of control over the welfare of our kids to the schools. We more or less have to, considering our kids typically spend more of their waking hours on a school campus than they do with us.

We already expect the schools to help us prepare our kids for the real world, expanding classes beyond mere reading, writing, and 'rithmetic to life skills' training in the likes of driving and often basic parenting skills. In many places, sex ed is even part of the curriculum (and rightly so).

So why not? Why shouldn't schools be as proactive as parents are or at least as parents should be? Why shouldn't they help us prepare kids for safe sex?

Would you support condom dispensers in your local high school?

by on Dec. 27, 2012 at 10:02 AM
Replies (461-470):
Dolcepsle
by on Dec. 30, 2012 at 8:46 AM
You might want to rethink that, those public school kids out number private school kids later in life. How they are educated no doubt will effect your child's life eventually

BTW.....big yes on the condom dispenser. My son is 15 and I have given him condoms and explained proper usage, what they don't protect against and that they are not 100% reliable. He hasn't needed to use them yet but I feel better knowing he's educated and has them should he make that decision.

Quoting Dzyre1115:

My kids go to a private school where that would never be an option, what goes on in the public school system is no concern of mine.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
jhslove
by Bronze Member on Dec. 30, 2012 at 8:47 AM
1 mom liked this

I wouldn't support condom dispensers, but I would support having them available, no questions asked, from the nurse's office.

The groundwork for good decision-making around sexual activity needs to start way before kids are actually making the decisions, so the way I see it, if you've failed to instill good decision-making skills and give your kid all the facts (and yes, I do believe this is the responsibility of the parents), condoms aren't even the main issue and refusing to make condoms available isn't going to keep him or her from having sex. All it's going to do is make it less likely that he/she will use protection and make pregnancy and STDs more likely.

What parents should be doing is laying the groundwork for self-respect and responsibility and making sure their kids have all the facts, so that just because condoms suddenly become available through the school in ninth grade the kids won't leap at the first opportunity to use them, but rather will wait until they're emotionally ready to handle a sexual relationship and recognize that safe sex is part of being a mature, responsible, sexually active adult. Condoms really aren't the big issue here.

dedesky
by on Dec. 30, 2012 at 8:49 AM

Yes, along with better Sex Ed classes.  I also think those babies that cry need to be sent home in Jr High for the one night, and in HS for a week in freshmen year.  Education is important all education.  Even in the 70's a girl at 16 could skip school and go to family planning and be seen.  They would give you a note of school.  They would give her BC or Condoms, or just test her to see if she was PG.  Someone would talk to her and let her watch some movies and have another discussion with her.  Some, teens cannot go to the parents or have never even had the talk.  Because some parents think if they talk about it makes it OK.  Well I believe in keeping the lines of communication open especially about sex.  I feel my son and or my daughter should carry a new condom with them on a date.  If things get to the point of them having sex they are prepared.  Even if I wish my teen to wait, this is not that perfect world.  I'd rather be safe about it then sorry.  Because my child might have to make a hard choice if they were to get PG because of one night of lack of control.  I'm in support of condoms at school along with more sex education.

LoveMyBabies83
by New Member on Dec. 30, 2012 at 8:58 AM
1 mom liked this

Please tell me I'm not the only one who finds all this hilarious..... the preaching about "self respect and teaching children the value of virginity" coming from a woman whose screen name is a misspell of DESIRE lol?!   

Weir06
by New Member on Dec. 30, 2012 at 9:02 AM
1 mom liked this

you are delusional to really believe this!  I went to private school up until my sophomore year and after expierencing both sides of the fence I can honestly ell you that one:  Parents are not more active in private schools than public, just cause you spent money for your kids to go there doesn'tr mean you want to be involved with your kids, in fact most parents have he opposite reaction.  They think that since they are spending that much miney then someone at the school should be taking care of that for them.  Two, The kids at my private school (I did kieep them as friends after I left) were way wilder and sneakier than the ones from public.  They were the ones getting into the more upper class drugs and partier harder than my public school friends.  Oh and as for your "one pregnancy in 60 years thing, my school was the same except it was one pregnancy in 75 years and it was the principals daughter.  But they were all still having sex, they were all doing stuff that would probably send your small mind into a spin for years, and they were the ones getting away with it from the cops

MusicMom823
by on Dec. 30, 2012 at 9:11 AM

I have three teenagers.  The school they go to has these.  Do you know how they get used?   As balloons to fill with water, as a way to embarass another student, as all kinds of mean tricks.  Since most kids are not having sex AT SCHOOL, they really do not need them there.  Does it make a teenager plan ahead?  Most teenage sexual encounters happen in the heat of the moment... and since teenage pregnancy at the high school went up, not down, after the dispensers were installed, I question their effectiveness.

I am a teacher.  I am not naive about teens and sex, but I really think we can use taxpayer dollars more effectively than dispensing condoms in the bathrooms of our schools.  Do I oppose it?  No.  Do I think it is effective?  Absolutely not.

ReginaStar
by Gold Member on Dec. 30, 2012 at 9:12 AM

yes

Howetwins13
by on Dec. 30, 2012 at 9:13 AM

condoms and the Depo-Provera shot should be available in all school teen std or sti are out of control and unplanned/unwanted pregnancies

Dolcepsle
by on Dec. 30, 2012 at 9:15 AM
Ah, clearly you had a private school education with that use of language.

No matter what your financial status is or what school your children attend, kids are kids and they lack good judgement for the most part. I hope your kids go to a religious school so they can pray away pregnancy and stds after not being educated.

Quoting Dzyre1115:

Ha, it's too easy....Bitches come and bitches go, but one thing remains the same and that is me!

Quoting adeber1:

Someone knows how to google....bully for you! You're posts are unenlightened, ignorant, and a waste of time. Either provide some actual facts and stats rather than snippets from random links or shut up and go away you frickin troglodyte!

Quoting Dzyre1115:

The states that cover abortions cover elective abortions in addition to medically necessary abortions all states cover medically necessary abortions under Medicaid and in some cases in the event of rape and incest.  You seem to think you know a lot more than you do.....

Quoting adeber1:

Try taking a closer look at my post. I said Medicaid doesn't cover abortion in general, but will cover under certain circumstances and such limited coverage is by no means an entitlement for all Medicaid recipients. My point is that Medicaid does not equal free abortions as your post suggests.

My DD is quite young and won't be ready for school for several years. That said, all options are available and our first choice is public.

Quoting Dzyre1115:

Actually abortions are covered by Medicaid in fifteen different states in this country, maybe YOU should get your facts straight before spouting off ;)

Did you choose public school or did you have no other option?

Quoting adeber1:

Ouch...your elitism is showing!

Just an fyi...Medicaid recipients are not entitled to free abortions. Abortions are generally not covered under Medicaid; the only time they're covered is under extreme circumstances where its medically necessary for the mother. I know this because I used to manage a state Medicaid program. Please get your facts straight before you spout off about things you clearly know nothing about! I'm personally thankful you've chosen private over public school. This way my child is spared exposure to your particular kind of nasty holier than though elitism!

Quoting Dzyre1115:

Oh I see, so you assume that all private school children come from money and that all public school children are paupers, in which case they would have Medicaid anyway and be entitled to free abortions.  Interesting theory though!

Quoting MockingJay:

By access I mean money. Obviously private school kids are more likely have access to the funds to get an abortion, and birth control as well. Plus, expecting your kids to be perfect will likely make them feel pressured to take care of it this way, so as not to let down mommy.  Did I really have to explain that? 

Quoting Dzyre1115:

Better access?  Is there a school requirement for abortions now, you can only get one provided you go to a private school? You didn't really think that response through did you?

colbys_mom
by Member on Dec. 30, 2012 at 9:35 AM
Yes
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN