Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Would you support condom dispensers in your local high school?

Posted by   + Show Post

Condom Dispensers Could Be Coming to a High School Near You

Posted by Jeanne Sager on December 27, 2012

condomsReady for a twist in the old "should teenagers have access to birth control" debate? Some 22 high schools in Philadelphia will be welcoming students back in the new year with brand new condom dispensers. So is this a matter of schools overstepping their bounds and infringing on parents rights? Or is this just one way the schools fulfill their role in kids' lives?

After all, Philadelphia's deputy mayor of health was questioned about the condom dispensers, and he explained that schools are partners with parents in raising kids. Put it that way, and schools giving our kids condoms is really the responsible thing to do, right?

Let's just think about this for a minute.

It's ultimately a parent's responsibility to keep kids safe. That's why most parents who really think things through would side with preventing STDs over pretending their precious little snowflake will never ever ever have sex.

But parents have already ceded a significant amount of control over the welfare of our kids to the schools. We more or less have to, considering our kids typically spend more of their waking hours on a school campus than they do with us.

We already expect the schools to help us prepare our kids for the real world, expanding classes beyond mere reading, writing, and 'rithmetic to life skills' training in the likes of driving and often basic parenting skills. In many places, sex ed is even part of the curriculum (and rightly so).

So why not? Why shouldn't schools be as proactive as parents are or at least as parents should be? Why shouldn't they help us prepare kids for safe sex?

Would you support condom dispensers in your local high school?

by on Dec. 27, 2012 at 10:02 AM
Replies (471-480):
Mistygirl
by Member on Dec. 30, 2012 at 9:40 AM

Yes, you have to now days.

La_Vie_en_R0se
by Member on Dec. 30, 2012 at 9:46 AM

Yes.  

GOBryan
by Silver Member on Dec. 30, 2012 at 9:51 AM

If a teen plans to have sex, they are going to. Better safe than pregnant or diseased. 

Dzyre1115
by Silver Member on Dec. 30, 2012 at 9:53 AM

How sad that you are raising kids that you know will lack good judgement! 

Quoting Dolcepsle:

Ah, clearly you had a private school education with that use of language.

No matter what your financial status is or what school your children attend, kids are kids and they lack good judgement for the most part. I hope your kids go to a religious school so they can pray away pregnancy and stds after not being educated.

Quoting Dzyre1115:

Ha, it's too easy....Bitches come and bitches go, but one thing remains the same and that is me!

Quoting adeber1:

Someone knows how to google....bully for you! You're posts are unenlightened, ignorant, and a waste of time. Either provide some actual facts and stats rather than snippets from random links or shut up and go away you frickin troglodyte!

Quoting Dzyre1115:

The states that cover abortions cover elective abortions in addition to medically necessary abortions all states cover medically necessary abortions under Medicaid and in some cases in the event of rape and incest.  You seem to think you know a lot more than you do.....

Quoting adeber1:

Try taking a closer look at my post. I said Medicaid doesn't cover abortion in general, but will cover under certain circumstances and such limited coverage is by no means an entitlement for all Medicaid recipients. My point is that Medicaid does not equal free abortions as your post suggests.

My DD is quite young and won't be ready for school for several years. That said, all options are available and our first choice is public.

Quoting Dzyre1115:

Actually abortions are covered by Medicaid in fifteen different states in this country, maybe YOU should get your facts straight before spouting off ;)

Did you choose public school or did you have no other option?

Quoting adeber1:

Ouch...your elitism is showing!

Just an fyi...Medicaid recipients are not entitled to free abortions. Abortions are generally not covered under Medicaid; the only time they're covered is under extreme circumstances where its medically necessary for the mother. I know this because I used to manage a state Medicaid program. Please get your facts straight before you spout off about things you clearly know nothing about! I'm personally thankful you've chosen private over public school. This way my child is spared exposure to your particular kind of nasty holier than though elitism!

Quoting Dzyre1115:

Oh I see, so you assume that all private school children come from money and that all public school children are paupers, in which case they would have Medicaid anyway and be entitled to free abortions.  Interesting theory though!

Quoting MockingJay:

By access I mean money. Obviously private school kids are more likely have access to the funds to get an abortion, and birth control as well. Plus, expecting your kids to be perfect will likely make them feel pressured to take care of it this way, so as not to let down mommy.  Did I really have to explain that? 

Quoting Dzyre1115:

Better access?  Is there a school requirement for abortions now, you can only get one provided you go to a private school? You didn't really think that response through did you?

Amandatoo
by on Dec. 30, 2012 at 10:10 AM
Quoting Dzyre1115:

So?

Quoting mehamil1:

I'm a product of Catholic school and that kind of upbringing.

Got pregnant anyway at 17.

Quoting Dzyre1115: Private school parents in general take a more active approach to their children's education, after all they cared enough to put them there, paid out of their own pocket, in the first place. In addition when you send a child to a small, private school, the parents are usually pretty like minded and have the same goals and moral code. So you have more of a chance that all of the children are being raised to think the same way, which was the case for my son's school. As I stated, only one student has gotten pregnant in the sixty year history of the school, while an active student, and they were married after graduation and have a beautiful eight year old little girl together. Like minded parents, raise like minded children. The mosh that is the public school system, it's the luck of the draw. So it's not that we think that our kids are safer from the trials and tribulations of having sex as a teen, it's that the majority of us have raised our kids with the same core values and it generally works in our favor.

Quoting glitterteaz: The laugh comes in when the private school parents think that private schools make their kids above all the "riff raft" of public schools.

Quoting lga1965:

Quoting glitterteaz: LOL the kids in private school thing is a joke. We had kids come in from private schools so they could get a real diploma instead of a GED. They were more active than the public school kids ever thought about and their parents were completely in the dark. LOL at that argument. They are the best skilled liars and sneak the condoms from every where you could ever imagine.

It is how the kids are raised, not the school, that determines if kids will have sex (and get pregnant) or NOT have sex ...and live responsibly. Parents need to step up. Kids need to know that sex is much more meaningful and important than "just a roll in the hay".And they need self respect. Private school won't teach them that and public school won't either.

Seriously, she's telling you she was raised in a private school and grew up with parents of your menatailty and when she says she got PG at 17 all your gonna say is So......what happen to private school kids don't have sex?! Just because YOUR kid didn't have sex.....which he prolly did bit he's just not going to tell you because he doesnt want to disappoint you or get his Ass reamed. To sit here and act like all kids who went to a private school are above having sex as a teen is a freaking Joke. It all matters how the child is RAISED not the school they go to. I went to a Public School and yes all my Girlfriends were having Sex. Guess what THIS Public School Kid did......I waited until I found the Man I wanted to Marry.....I was the only one who was a Virgin at our Graduation out of all the Girls I knew. I personally had to much respect for myself then to go around sleeping with people.....and I was a PUBLIC High School Student....goes to show its not the school but the way u were raised.
cherylam
by on Dec. 30, 2012 at 10:10 AM

absolutely! I was 15, stupid and incredibly lucky.  Trying to 'tell' your kids they can't have sex until they are older is a waste of breath... threats don't work in this day and age.  Better to teach heavy duty sex ed, and make sure at 15 they have some kind of clue about consequences.

Phillymama123
by Member on Dec. 30, 2012 at 11:13 AM
Yes. Mainly because I'm in Philly so they are in some of the local high schools
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Dec. 30, 2012 at 12:00 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Dzyre1115:

I don't have to, the only proof I need is that the school I have chosen for my children fits my requirements.  If you need answers Google can be your friend too.  Get on it, I have all of the answers I need!

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Ah yes, you remain but you cannot back up what you say.

The typical answer when some one makes claims they cannot back up.  

For some one who is so self assured it is a shame you cannot admit when you are wrong.  That goes a long way in life.

All of your assumptions and otherwise towards others......you might want to take a long look in the mirror.  You are making a fool of yourself.  

~*~Youth is when you're allowed to stay up late on New Year's Eve. Middle age is when you're forced to.~*~

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Dec. 30, 2012 at 12:22 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting LoveMyBabies83:

Please tell me I'm not the only one who finds all this hilarious..... the preaching about "self respect and teaching children the value of virginity" coming from a woman whose screen name is a misspell of DESIRE lol?!   

Spot on.

~*~Youth is when you're allowed to stay up late on New Year's Eve. Middle age is when you're forced to.~*~

elkmomma
by Member on Dec. 30, 2012 at 12:28 PM

Well if I have to choose between free condoms or a child care center in our high schools......I think it would be cheaper and wiser to pick up a condom.   Although both are a scary thought.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured