Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Would you support condom dispensers in your local high school?

Posted by   + Show Post

Condom Dispensers Could Be Coming to a High School Near You

Posted by Jeanne Sager on December 27, 2012

condomsReady for a twist in the old "should teenagers have access to birth control" debate? Some 22 high schools in Philadelphia will be welcoming students back in the new year with brand new condom dispensers. So is this a matter of schools overstepping their bounds and infringing on parents rights? Or is this just one way the schools fulfill their role in kids' lives?

After all, Philadelphia's deputy mayor of health was questioned about the condom dispensers, and he explained that schools are partners with parents in raising kids. Put it that way, and schools giving our kids condoms is really the responsible thing to do, right?

Let's just think about this for a minute.

It's ultimately a parent's responsibility to keep kids safe. That's why most parents who really think things through would side with preventing STDs over pretending their precious little snowflake will never ever ever have sex.

But parents have already ceded a significant amount of control over the welfare of our kids to the schools. We more or less have to, considering our kids typically spend more of their waking hours on a school campus than they do with us.

We already expect the schools to help us prepare our kids for the real world, expanding classes beyond mere reading, writing, and 'rithmetic to life skills' training in the likes of driving and often basic parenting skills. In many places, sex ed is even part of the curriculum (and rightly so).

So why not? Why shouldn't schools be as proactive as parents are or at least as parents should be? Why shouldn't they help us prepare kids for safe sex?

Would you support condom dispensers in your local high school?

by on Dec. 27, 2012 at 10:02 AM
Replies (511-520):
Voiceforkids
by on Dec. 30, 2012 at 10:47 PM
Sorry n thanks for that...

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Quoting Voiceforkids:

It's funny how you act as if you "really " know what your kids are doing at all times.... Of course it all depends how old are we talking about. Don't take it so personal it's not about you. You do what you gotta do as a parent to your kids. If my child is 15 or younger and are practicing sex of course I am there to put a stop but really? Eventually they will have sex no matter how much we do as a parent to take away their fun things... Or whatever punishments we try to submit. Also, protecting my children by putting an ok to condoms doesn't mean that I am or I am not educating my children of what sex is and when it is proper to act on it. Our comments are not to be judge... Our comments are our opinion that we as an individual we own. I have an awesome relationship with all my children: they talk to me with whatever and that is sometimes hard to accomplish or earn. I would rather know what they are doing or I would rather that they came to me with whatever instead of living in secrets or should I say " I'm the last to know?". It is unfortunate that you have not learned being that you are a mother about how to expresss our feeling without " bold letters" and overkill. Take the first step : learn to express like a woman is your first example to your kids. Best wishes ( this is for the woman who changed my fonts to address her personal feelings about my comment).

You do not know how to quote others, do you?

It isn't that hard, once you get the hang of it.

When reading some one's reply and you wish to address that person, you hit 'quote'.  Their words will appear in blue, like above, where you words are now.

You type your reply to them underneath the quote.  Or above, as many do.

It may help clear up confusion in the future.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Dec. 30, 2012 at 10:47 PM

Quoting Voiceforkids:

Sorry n thanks for that...

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Quoting Voiceforkids:

It's funny how you act as if you "really " know what your kids are doing at all times.... Of course it all depends how old are we talking about. Don't take it so personal it's not about you. You do what you gotta do as a parent to your kids. If my child is 15 or younger and are practicing sex of course I am there to put a stop but really? Eventually they will have sex no matter how much we do as a parent to take away their fun things... Or whatever punishments we try to submit. Also, protecting my children by putting an ok to condoms doesn't mean that I am or I am not educating my children of what sex is and when it is proper to act on it. Our comments are not to be judge... Our comments are our opinion that we as an individual we own. I have an awesome relationship with all my children: they talk to me with whatever and that is sometimes hard to accomplish or earn. I would rather know what they are doing or I would rather that they came to me with whatever instead of living in secrets or should I say " I'm the last to know?". It is unfortunate that you have not learned being that you are a mother about how to expresss our feeling without " bold letters" and overkill. Take the first step : learn to express like a woman is your first example to your kids. Best wishes ( this is for the woman who changed my fonts to address her personal feelings about my comment).

You do not know how to quote others, do you?

It isn't that hard, once you get the hang of it.

When reading some one's reply and you wish to address that person, you hit 'quote'.  Their words will appear in blue, like above, where you words are now.

You type your reply to them underneath the quote.  Or above, as many do.

It may help clear up confusion in the future.

You are welcome. ;)

~*~Youth is when you're allowed to stay up late on New Year's Eve. Middle age is when you're forced to.~*~

Voiceforkids
by on Dec. 30, 2012 at 10:50 PM
Java ladybug2? She changed my fonts and was talking loud lol

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Quoting Voiceforkids:

It's funny how you act aa if you "really " know what your kids are doing at all times.... Of course it all depends how old are we talking about. Don't take it so personal it's not about you. You do what you gotta do as a parent to your kids. If my child is 15 or younger and are practicing sex of course I am there to put a stop but really? Eventually they will have sex no matter how much we do as a parent to take away their fun things... Or whatever punishments we try to submit. Also, protecting my children by pitying an ok to condoms doesn't mean that I am or I am not educating my children of what sex is and when it is proper to act on it. Our comments are not to be judge... Our comments are our opinion that we as an individual we own. I have an awesome relationship with all my children: they talk to me with whatever and that is sometimes hard to accomplish or earn. I would rather know what they are doing or I would rather that they came to me with whatever instead of living in secrets or should I say " I'm the last to know?". It is unfortunate that you have not learned bring that you are a mother about how to expresss our feeling without " bold letters" and overkill. Take the first step : learn to express like a woman is your first example to your kids. Best wishes

Who, exactly, are you talking to?

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Dec. 30, 2012 at 10:51 PM

Quoting Voiceforkids:

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Quoting Voiceforkids:

It's funny how you act aa if you "really " know what your kids are doing at all times.... Of course it all depends how old are we talking about. Don't take it so personal it's not about you. You do what you gotta do as a parent to your kids. If my child is 15 or younger and are practicing sex of course I am there to put a stop but really? Eventually they will have sex no matter how much we do as a parent to take away their fun things... Or whatever punishments we try to submit. Also, protecting my children by pitying an ok to condoms doesn't mean that I am or I am not educating my children of what sex is and when it is proper to act on it. Our comments are not to be judge... Our comments are our opinion that we as an individual we own. I have an awesome relationship with all my children: they talk to me with whatever and that is sometimes hard to accomplish or earn. I would rather know what they are doing or I would rather that they came to me with whatever instead of living in secrets or should I say " I'm the last to know?". It is unfortunate that you have not learned bring that you are a mother about how to expresss our feeling without " bold letters" and overkill. Take the first step : learn to express like a woman is your first example to your kids. Best wishes

I see.  She is trying to get her point across and it seems the only way she knows how is to throw a hissy fit.

When one types in all caps, it is as if they are screaming.  

Meh, she can't see past her own issues so don't let her get to you.

~*~Youth is when you're allowed to stay up late on New Year's Eve. Middle age is when you're forced to.~*~

Voiceforkids
by on Dec. 30, 2012 at 10:54 PM
I know lol ok I'm not worried but she needs to b put in check... Thanks tho happy new year!

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Quoting Voiceforkids:

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Quoting Voiceforkids:

I see.  She is trying to get her point across and it seems the only way she knows how is to throw a hissy fit.

When one types in all caps, it is as if they are screaming.  

Meh, she can't see past her own issues so don't let her get to you.

Voiceforkids
by on Dec. 30, 2012 at 11:02 PM

It's funny how you act as if you "really " know what your kids are doing at all times.... Of course it all depends how old are we talking about. Don't take it so personal it's not about you. You do what you gotta do as a parent to your kids. If my child is 15 or younger and are practicing sex of course I am there to put a stop but really? Eventually they will have sex no matter how much we do as a parent to take away their fun things... Or whatever punishments we try to submit. Also, protecting my children by putting an ok to condoms doesn't mean that I am or I am not educating my children of what sex is and when it is proper to act on it. Our comments are not to be judge... Our comments are our opinion that we as an individual we own. I have an awesome relationship with all my children: they talk to me with whatever and that is sometimes hard to accomplish or earn. I would rather know what they are doing or I would rather that they came to me with whatever instead of living in secrets or should I say " I'm the last to know?". It is unfortunate that you have not learned being that you are a mother about how to expresss our feeling without " bold letters" and overkill. Take the first step : learn to express like a woman is your first example to your kids. Best wishes

Quoting JavaLadybug2:

Quoting Voiceforkids:

I would and that I am a mother of 4 oldest is 26 n youngest 14 years old. I don't condom sex or young people becoming parents at a young age n with all that is going on in our world whether diseases or babies having babies... The least I can do is help protect my children at least then the fingers are not pointed at me if something unfortunate happens. As a parent I have no control over my children and what they do when I'm not around and even when I am... So I do absolutely support the idea of having condoms or any preventive ideas to help protect the young minds in today's society.

What a bunch of JUNK!

As a parent you have as much control over your children as you wish to have.. You can educate, you can teach you can model good choices and then if need be.. DISCIPLINE bad behavior. Ground them to their room if they disobey.. 1 Day for minor issues.. All the way up to 1 year if god forbid the problem is big enough.. Remove all their possessions and make them earn them back if that is what it takes.. YOU HAVE ALOT OF CONTROL.. Unless you give up and just pretend your parenting them but really letting them just run rampant!

Your letting yourself off the hook.. Being a parent isn't about them liking you.. Being a parent isn't about them thinking what your doing is fun, exciting or popular.. It is about teaching them right from wrong. And if you need to STANDING IN THE DOOR WAY AND BLOCKING THEM FROM MAKING LIFE ALTERING AND LIFE DESTRUCTIVE CHOICES..

Voiceforkids
by on Dec. 30, 2012 at 11:07 PM
To the women that want to change the fonts on the comment: don't get bent out of shape ... I'm not including children who are young. My opinion is my own. My children are now 26,25,18 & 14. Whatever n how I raise my children it has worked by far. So watch your temp you don't know me. I am 46 years old and have been married 19 years... And sober for 12 .... I might be doing something right. Best wishes to all n have a happy new year... Make the best of it

Quoting JavaLadybug2:

Quoting Voiceforkids:

I would and that I am a mother of 4 oldest is 26 n youngest 14 years old. I don't condom sex or young people becoming parents at a young age n with all that is going on in our world whether diseases or babies having babies... The least I can do is help protect my children at least then the fingers are not pointed at me if something unfortunate happens. As a parent I have no control over my children and what they do when I'm not around and even when I am... So I do absolutely support the idea of having condoms or any preventive ideas to help protect the young minds in today's society.

What a bunch of JUNK!

As a parent you have as much control over your children as you wish to have.. You can educate, you can teach you can model good choices and then if need be.. DISCIPLINE bad behavior. Ground them to their room if they disobey.. 1 Day for minor issues.. All the way up to 1 year if god forbid the problem is big enough.. Remove all their possessions and make them earn them back if that is what it takes.. YOU HAVE ALOT OF CONTROL.. Unless you give up and just pretend your parenting them but really letting them just run rampant!

Your letting yourself off the hook.. Being a parent isn't about them liking you.. Being a parent isn't about them thinking what your doing is fun, exciting or popular.. It is about teaching them right from wrong. And if you need to STANDING IN THE DOOR WAY AND BLOCKING THEM FROM MAKING LIFE ALTERING AND LIFE DESTRUCTIVE CHOICES..

crissysworld
by Member on Dec. 30, 2012 at 11:57 PM

Hell no. Its not the schools right to give out condoms or anything else along that line to other peoples kids and having that there is. i would be pissed and raising holy hell. Yes some parents don't teach their kids but its not right for the schools to include other peoples kids.

disneyrose
by Member on Dec. 31, 2012 at 3:06 AM

Yes, but I would probably buy them for him too

DragonMom25
by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 7:54 AM

For those of you that think that there should be  no condoms, or only condoms when a lecture goes with it (even seeing the nurse can be a lecture with the eyes, a call to the parent, an impossible walk) who refuse to believe their precious darlings would ever have sex, here is my question:

when your child of 16 comes home pregnant or sick with an STD who will you blame?  And will you support your child and grandchild or throw them on the street for not abiding by your wishes and not keeping thier legs closed?  Why is condoms such a big deal, unless it is a catholic only school, when if you are catholic you need to stay pure so they would never need them.

will you blame the school for not watching them? (in my school there were orgies in certain stairwells that teachers never looked to, bathrooms were locked and once the key was out you were guaranteed to have privacy) after school activities with locker rooms (even band has a locker room).

Are you that crazy mom that picks up your kid at the last bell drives them home and watches their every move from the 2 PM bell till the 7AM drop off bell?  or do you let them be their own person, have friends, drive before 18, take the bus (my 16 year old is sick of the bus, kids have sex on it all the time, so we pick him up).  Unless you are the cast iron parent who never lets your kid out of sight (you would have to homeschool with no socialization) if you kids want to have sex they will have sex.  unless you are the most easy to talk to they will not ask for birth control, they will want to "practice abstinence in your eyes" so never ask and only tell when the last curtain falls (IE too pregnant to do anything about it)

With this show 16 and Pregnant on a lot of girls are trying to "audition" for the show by getting knocked up, why is everyone not upset about that?  why not call Cable, dish, direct TV and have them remove the show or station so that young girls are not trying to be famous by having a child.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN