Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Would you support condom dispensers in your local high school?

Posted by   + Show Post

Condom Dispensers Could Be Coming to a High School Near You

Posted by Jeanne Sager on December 27, 2012

condomsReady for a twist in the old "should teenagers have access to birth control" debate? Some 22 high schools in Philadelphia will be welcoming students back in the new year with brand new condom dispensers. So is this a matter of schools overstepping their bounds and infringing on parents rights? Or is this just one way the schools fulfill their role in kids' lives?

After all, Philadelphia's deputy mayor of health was questioned about the condom dispensers, and he explained that schools are partners with parents in raising kids. Put it that way, and schools giving our kids condoms is really the responsible thing to do, right?

Let's just think about this for a minute.

It's ultimately a parent's responsibility to keep kids safe. That's why most parents who really think things through would side with preventing STDs over pretending their precious little snowflake will never ever ever have sex.

But parents have already ceded a significant amount of control over the welfare of our kids to the schools. We more or less have to, considering our kids typically spend more of their waking hours on a school campus than they do with us.

We already expect the schools to help us prepare our kids for the real world, expanding classes beyond mere reading, writing, and 'rithmetic to life skills' training in the likes of driving and often basic parenting skills. In many places, sex ed is even part of the curriculum (and rightly so).

So why not? Why shouldn't schools be as proactive as parents are or at least as parents should be? Why shouldn't they help us prepare kids for safe sex?

Would you support condom dispensers in your local high school?

by on Dec. 27, 2012 at 10:02 AM
Replies (521-530):
Woodbabe
by Woodie on Dec. 31, 2012 at 8:03 AM

If you can teach your kids to "Just say No" to drugs I'm pretty sure you can teach them to "Just say No" to birth control...Just sayin....

They already have easier access to weed than condoms.

Quoting crissysworld:

Hell no. Its not the schools right to give out condoms or anything else along that line to other peoples kids and having that there is. i would be pissed and raising holy hell. Yes some parents don't teach their kids but its not right for the schools to include other peoples kids.

Sexy If its unladylike, fattening or fun, I'm in!

momma_hambrook
by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 10:42 AM
Yes... But so many boys these days just don't care and don't like using them at all free or not...
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Jessybear87
by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 12:00 PM
Yes.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
ONELOVEMOM
by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 12:56 PM

I have seen that parents have a hard time talking to their kids about sex.. leaving it up to the schools very uninformative abstinence only education to teach kids about sex. So Yes.. if parents are leaving it up to the schools then by all means the schools should be sure their teens are safe.

In my opinion the parents who DON'T talk to their kids about safe sex are the ones who will be offended.. The parents that DO talk to their kids about sex will probably not have a problem with it.. 

tambrathegreat
by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 3:43 PM

Yep.  Kids are going to do what they do anyway, so why not at least make it easier for them to get protection for it?

DDDaysh
by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 3:44 PM

Oh come on, kids can already get condoms in lots of places.  This just makes it easier and thus more likely they'll use them.  I don't think it makes kids any more likely to have sex. 

This is only annecdotal, but I know lots of kids who didn't have sex until marriage, or at least after college.  It wasn't because condoms weren't available, but rather because we either had moral, ethical, health, or ambition concerns that we didn't feel were sufficiently moderated by the presence of a condom. 

However, I also knew lots of people who chose not to wait to have sex, and they were more likely to use a condom if they had easy access to a condom than they were if they had to go out of their way to get them. 

DDDaysh
by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 3:47 PM
1 mom liked this

No kidding.  Giving a child a condom isn't lining them up and telling them, here, you must use this to go have sex now. 

Quoting Woodbabe:

If you can teach your kids to "Just say No" to drugs I'm pretty sure you can teach them to "Just say No" to birth control...Just sayin....

Quoting crissysworld:

Hell no. Its not the schools right to give out condoms or anything else along that line to other peoples kids and having that there is. i would be pissed and raising holy hell. Yes some parents don't teach their kids but its not right for the schools to include other peoples kids.

Mommy2BeAmy
by Silver Member on Dec. 31, 2012 at 3:57 PM

No, if one is sexually active there is no age limit to purchase protection, and they're free in many places and easy to get ahold of. 

CowboysAngel02
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 7:33 PM

Yes I do! I think it is a good thing and that all kids should be advized to teach their kids to carry them with ALL THE TIME!!!!

crissysworld
by Member on Jan. 2, 2013 at 12:41 AM

That doesn't matter. The school should stick to teaching math, writing, reading, history and so on. No worry about putting condom machines in when they are not their kids to be providing contraceptives to. Yes so far my 16 year old stepson says no to drugs and comes to us when it comes to girls and asking questions. Plus he already talked to dh about if he feels something may happen that he would go to dh about condoms. Still keep that crap out of the schools. Yes my stepson knows kids in school who do marijuana and he stays away from those kids as well. With them doing this, then kids think oh I don't need to talk to my parents about it. Another reason I have thought about homeschooling our future kids.

Quoting Woodbabe:

Quoting crissysworld:

my name is crista, wife to kevin, stepmom to dillon, Proud Fostermom, i lost my job thanks to Chrysler and am looking for a new one  and go to college part time. ttc our first with pcos since september 2000, fertility is a very sensitive issue for me. i am prolife, believe in cio, vaccinating  . We lost our first baby at 6 weeks along May of 2011. We are Foster Parents hoping to adopt.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)