Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Would you support condom dispensers in your local high school?

Posted by   + Show Post

Condom Dispensers Could Be Coming to a High School Near You

Posted by Jeanne Sager on December 27, 2012

condomsReady for a twist in the old "should teenagers have access to birth control" debate? Some 22 high schools in Philadelphia will be welcoming students back in the new year with brand new condom dispensers. So is this a matter of schools overstepping their bounds and infringing on parents rights? Or is this just one way the schools fulfill their role in kids' lives?

After all, Philadelphia's deputy mayor of health was questioned about the condom dispensers, and he explained that schools are partners with parents in raising kids. Put it that way, and schools giving our kids condoms is really the responsible thing to do, right?

Let's just think about this for a minute.

It's ultimately a parent's responsibility to keep kids safe. That's why most parents who really think things through would side with preventing STDs over pretending their precious little snowflake will never ever ever have sex.

But parents have already ceded a significant amount of control over the welfare of our kids to the schools. We more or less have to, considering our kids typically spend more of their waking hours on a school campus than they do with us.

We already expect the schools to help us prepare our kids for the real world, expanding classes beyond mere reading, writing, and 'rithmetic to life skills' training in the likes of driving and often basic parenting skills. In many places, sex ed is even part of the curriculum (and rightly so).

So why not? Why shouldn't schools be as proactive as parents are or at least as parents should be? Why shouldn't they help us prepare kids for safe sex?

Would you support condom dispensers in your local high school?

by on Dec. 27, 2012 at 10:02 AM
Replies (541-550):
crissysworld
by Member on Jan. 7, 2013 at 2:14 AM

Oh no I can comprehend but maybe it is hard for you to. It is completely wrong for this to be put in the schools. Maybe they should worry about the kids turning in homework and doing their work in class. In reality the school should butt out of this. They are not the parents of these kids. Again if they put this crap in our schools I will not be quiet about it and if it isn't removed my kids will not be in the school that does this crap. Do I think some teens have sex? Of course but its the parents responsibility.

Quoting Stephanie329:

You seem to be unable to see past your own version of reality? It's not about how YOU raise YOUR children. It's about the kids. This might be hard for you to comprehend: children that are not yours may have different needs.

Quoting crissysworld:

That doesn't matter. The school should stick to teaching math, writing, reading, history and so on. No worry about putting condom machines in when they are not their kids to be providing contraceptives to. Yes so far my 16 year old stepson says no to drugs and comes to us when it comes to girls and asking questions. Plus he already talked to dh about if he feels something may happen that he would go to dh about condoms. Still keep that crap out of the schools. Yes my stepson knows kids in school who do marijuana and he stays away from those kids as well. With them doing this, then kids think oh I don't need to talk to my parents about it. Another reason I have thought about homeschooling our future kids.

Quoting Woodbabe:

If you can teach your kids to "Just say No" to drugs I'm pretty sure you can teach them to "Just say No" to birth control...Just sayin....

They already have easier access to weed than condoms.

Quoting crissysworld:

Hell no. Its not the schools right to give out condoms or anything else along that line to other peoples kids and having that there is. i would be pissed and raising holy hell. Yes some parents don't teach their kids but its not right for the schools to include other peoples kids.

my name is crista, wife to kevin, stepmom to dillon, Proud Fostermom, i lost my job thanks to Chrysler and am looking for a new one  and go to college part time. ttc our first with pcos since september 2000, fertility is a very sensitive issue for me. i am prolife, believe in cio, vaccinating  . We lost our first baby at 6 weeks along May of 2011. We are Foster Parents hoping to adopt.

BuckeyezRule
by Bronze Member on Jan. 7, 2013 at 2:36 AM

Yes.

wickedfiress
by Kellie on Jan. 7, 2013 at 3:32 AM

Quoting crissysworld:

Oh no I can comprehend but maybe it is hard for you to. It is completely wrong for this to be put in the schools. Maybe they should worry about the kids turning in homework and doing their work in class. In reality the school should butt out of this. They are not the parents of these kids. Again if they put this crap in our schools I will not be quiet about it and if it isn't removed my kids will not be in the school that does this crap. Do I think some teens have sex? Of course but its the parents responsibility.

Quoting Stephanie329:

You seem to be unable to see past your own version of reality? It's not about how YOU raise YOUR children. It's about the kids. This might be hard for you to comprehend: children that are not yours may have different needs.

Unfortunately for some kids, the school is the only "parent" they have. That is why this is totally appropriate and especially necessary. 

PS. Not sure if you know this, but your signature has about half a page of blank space at the bottom of it. 

It's amazing how people don't hold themselves to the standards they set for others.

Woodbabe
by Woodie on Jan. 7, 2013 at 7:21 PM

Keeping kids NOT pregnant and in school keeps government money coming into those schools. So yes, its in the school's interests to supply free condoms or put a machine in the bathroom or whatever. Everyone wins.

Quoting crissysworld:

But that fact that its not the school systems place and they are butting in where its not their job. The health department already does this again I don't agree with it. I saw kids back when I was a teen working at a local drug store come in and buy condoms. I had told my husband about this last night and he feels the same way. We are not perfact at parenting but we have always been open and honest with him as we will be with our future kids.

Sexy If its unladylike, fattening or fun, I'm in!

Debmomto2girls
by Platinum Member on Jan. 7, 2013 at 8:53 PM

Yes, I would.  It is a great idea

crissysworld
by Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 1:52 AM

Quoting wickedfiress:

Quoting crissysworld:

Quoting Stephanie329:

Unfortunately for some kids, the school is the only "parent" they have. That is why this is totally appropriate and especially necessary. 

PS. Not sure if you know this, but your signature has about half a page of blank space at the bottom of it. 

Well maybe to you its appropriate and necessary but I totally disagree with you. Sorry your noone is going to change my mind on that one. Thanks I thought I had my signature fixed.

my name is crista, wife to kevin, stepmom to dillon, Proud Fostermom, i lost my job thanks to Chrysler and am looking for a new one  and go to college part time. ttc our first with pcos since september 2000, fertility is a very sensitive issue for me. i am prolife, believe in cio, vaccinating  . We lost our first baby at 6 weeks along May of 2011. We are Foster Parents hoping to adopt.

crissysworld
by Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 1:59 AM

Nope not a win for everyone when some of us are pulling our kids out of school to be home schooled. It just proves the school and government thinks its ok for kids to have sex. Your not going to change my mind and I sure as hell am not going to agree with it. Its a trashy thing to do. You can like it all you want, when your kids are out having sex since the school is giving out condoms. But whatever.

Quoting Woodbabe:

Keeping kids NOT pregnant and in school keeps government money coming into those schools. So yes, its in the school's interests to supply free condoms or put a machine in the bathroom or whatever. Everyone wins.

Quoting crissysworld:

But that fact that its not the school systems place and they are butting in where its not their job. The health department already does this again I don't agree with it. I saw kids back when I was a teen working at a local drug store come in and buy condoms. I had told my husband about this last night and he feels the same way. We are not perfact at parenting but we have always been open and honest with him as we will be with our future kids.

Woodbabe
by Woodie on Jan. 8, 2013 at 2:00 PM

As I said earlier, if you can't teach your kids to "Just Say No" to drugs and birth control, what will you do when they're out in the real world? 

Quoting crissysworld:

Nope not a win for everyone when some of us are pulling our kids out of school to be home schooled. It just proves the school and government thinks its ok for kids to have sex. Your not going to change my mind and I sure as hell am not going to agree with it. Its a trashy thing to do. You can like it all you want, when your kids are out having sex since the school is giving out condoms. But whatever. 

Sexy If its unladylike, fattening or fun, I'm in!

Carmel63
by Bronze Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 2:52 PM

While I would not support putting a condom dispenser in a high school, I would not fight it either.  I am more concerned about teen pregnancy than someone's moral sensitivities.

Clairwil
by Ruby Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 12:55 PM
Quoting crissysworld:

It just proves the school and government thinks its ok for kids to have sex.

Does a school stocking bandages and splits 'prove' that the school and government thinks it is ok for kids to go around breaking limbs?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)