Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Would you support condom dispensers in your local high school?

Posted by   + Show Post

Condom Dispensers Could Be Coming to a High School Near You

Posted by Jeanne Sager on December 27, 2012

condomsReady for a twist in the old "should teenagers have access to birth control" debate? Some 22 high schools in Philadelphia will be welcoming students back in the new year with brand new condom dispensers. So is this a matter of schools overstepping their bounds and infringing on parents rights? Or is this just one way the schools fulfill their role in kids' lives?

After all, Philadelphia's deputy mayor of health was questioned about the condom dispensers, and he explained that schools are partners with parents in raising kids. Put it that way, and schools giving our kids condoms is really the responsible thing to do, right?

Let's just think about this for a minute.

It's ultimately a parent's responsibility to keep kids safe. That's why most parents who really think things through would side with preventing STDs over pretending their precious little snowflake will never ever ever have sex.

But parents have already ceded a significant amount of control over the welfare of our kids to the schools. We more or less have to, considering our kids typically spend more of their waking hours on a school campus than they do with us.

We already expect the schools to help us prepare our kids for the real world, expanding classes beyond mere reading, writing, and 'rithmetic to life skills' training in the likes of driving and often basic parenting skills. In many places, sex ed is even part of the curriculum (and rightly so).

So why not? Why shouldn't schools be as proactive as parents are or at least as parents should be? Why shouldn't they help us prepare kids for safe sex?

Would you support condom dispensers in your local high school?

by on Dec. 27, 2012 at 10:02 AM
Replies (551-560):
Clairwil
by Ruby Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 12:58 PM
Quoting crissysworld:

That doesn't matter. The school should stick to teaching math, writing, reading, history and so on. No worry about putting condom machines in when they are not their kids to be providing contraceptives to.

If someone saw a kid about to get on a skateboard without any protective gear, and they didn't have the power to prevent the kid from doing so (because, for example, the kid would just go elsewhere to do it) despite them thinking it likely that the parents would disapprove of a child that age skateboard whether or not protective gear was used,

which would you prefer the person do?

(A) lend the kid some protective gear

or

(B) not lend the kid the gear

crissysworld
by Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 1:15 AM

My kids will be ready for the real world because they are taught what they need to be taught. But again I will never agree that it is the right thing to do. So might as well agree to disagree.

Quoting Woodbabe:

As I said earlier, if you can't teach your kids to "Just Say No" to drugs and birth control, what will you do when they're out in the real world? 

Quoting crissysworld:

Nope not a win for everyone when some of us are pulling our kids out of school to be home schooled. It just proves the school and government thinks its ok for kids to have sex. Your not going to change my mind and I sure as hell am not going to agree with it. Its a trashy thing to do. You can like it all you want, when your kids are out having sex since the school is giving out condoms. But whatever. 

my name is crista, wife to kevin, stepmom to dillon, Proud Fostermom, i lost my job thanks to Chrysler and am looking for a new one  and go to college part time. ttc our first with pcos since september 2000, fertility is a very sensitive issue for me. i am prolife, believe in cio, vaccinating  . We lost our first baby at 6 weeks along May of 2011. We are Foster Parents hoping to adopt.

crissysworld
by Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 1:18 AM

Quoting Clairwil:

Quoting crissysworld:

It just proves the school and government thinks its ok for kids to have sex.

Does a school stocking bandages and splits 'prove' that the school and government thinks it is ok for kids to go around breaking limbs?

Giving out condoms and giving a kid a bandaid are two different things. A bandaid is if a child gets hurt and when giving out a condom that is not for the school to do.

my name is crista, wife to kevin, stepmom to dillon, Proud Fostermom, i lost my job thanks to Chrysler and am looking for a new one  and go to college part time. ttc our first with pcos since september 2000, fertility is a very sensitive issue for me. i am prolife, believe in cio, vaccinating  . We lost our first baby at 6 weeks along May of 2011. We are Foster Parents hoping to adopt.

crissysworld
by Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 1:20 AM

Quoting Clairwil:

Quoting crissysworld:

That doesn't matter. The school should stick to teaching math, writing, reading, history and so on. No worry about putting condom machines in when they are not their kids to be providing contraceptives to.

If someone saw a kid about to get on a skateboard without any protective gear, and they didn't have the power to prevent the kid from doing so (because, for example, the kid would just go elsewhere to do it) despite them thinking it likely that the parents would disapprove of a child that age skateboard whether or not protective gear was used,

which would you prefer the person do?

(A) lend the kid some protective gear

or

(B) not lend the kid the gear

Well for the fact that we raise kids not to talk to strangers because there are too many freaks in this world. I would prefer you not talk to my kid. Our kids are taught safety and yes they have protective gear for riding bikes and such. I would never go up to some kid skate boarding and say do you want protective gear. Again like I told someone else I won't agree so might as well agree to disagree.

ballerina18
by Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 1:22 AM

yes

Clairwil
by Ruby Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 2:12 AM
Quoting crissysworld:
Quoting Clairwil:
Quoting crissysworld:

Does a school stocking bandages and splits 'prove' that the school and government thinks it is ok for kids to go around breaking limbs?

Giving out condoms and giving a kid a bandaid are two different things. A bandaid is if a child gets hurt and when giving out a condom that is not for the school to do.

Surely whether or not that is for the school to do is what we're debating?

Why are they two different things?   If anything, isn't it more efficient to prevent an infection, than to try to cure it after allowing it to happen?

crissysworld
by Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 2:31 AM

Quoting Clairwil:

Quoting crissysworld:
Quoting Clairwil:
Quoting crissysworld:

Surely whether or not that is for the school to do is what we're debating?

Why are they two different things?   If anything, isn't it more efficient to prevent an infection, than to try to cure it after allowing it to happen?

Why because one is for sex and one is for when a child gets a cut or something else. Again two different things. If we want to bring this up then fine but the school has to call to give a child Tylenol then the school should have to call home to give condoms out.  Even though again I will never agree that the school has any right to give them out to someone else's kid. Another reason to home school. Also it is overstepping the boundaries and infringing on parents rights. Seriously what's next offering to take girls to get abortions.

SilverSterling
by MrsSilverusSnape on Jan. 11, 2013 at 5:40 AM

They can Already get the Morning after pill at little to no cost at almost any Pharmacy and  Nurses office without consent of the parent. Condoms are safer to hand out then the morning after pill.

For the Record my 16yr carries Tylenol on her persons if she needs it.. She has been since 4 wisdom teeth were pulled and I didnt want to needlessly have to fill out paper work so the nurse could give them to her so she just keeps them on her person.

Quoting crissysworld:
Why because one is for sex and one is for when a child gets a cut or something else. Again two different things. If we want to bring this up then fine but the school has to call to give a child Tylenol then the school should have to call home to give condoms out.  Even though again I will never agree that the school has any right to give them out to someone else's kid. Another reason to home school. Also it is overstepping the boundaries and infringing on parents rights. Seriously what's next offering to take girls to get abortions.

crissysworld
by Member on Jan. 13, 2013 at 1:07 AM

I think that's wrong as well. One time my stepson took two ibuprofens to school and another kid saw him take one, yep they raised holy hell. They need to let the parents parent and butt out. Seriously I am never going to agree. Everyone can say what they want. There was a post a few months back I think about handing out birth control in the schools. Seriously these people do not know enough about the kids to do that crap. So lets say a boy gets a condom from the school and he ends up being allergic to latex, then the parents should be able to sue the school. I think that's what it is going to take for the schools to butt out.  

Quoting SilverSterling:

They can Already get the Morning after pill at little to no cost at almost any Pharmacy and  Nurses office without consent of the parent. Condoms are safer to hand out then the morning after pill.

For the Record my 16yr carries Tylenol on her persons if she needs it.. She has been since 4 wisdom teeth were pulled and I didnt want to needlessly have to fill out paper work so the nurse could give them to her so she just keeps them on her person.

Quoting crissysworld:

c_ramirez8606
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 1:35 PM

I would support this 100%. I have 2 boys and when they get older they need to learn they are responsible for having a condom when they want to have sex. I can tell them to wait all I want but I know it will happen and I just hope they will be smart about it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN