Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Westboro, what you ladies think of this?

Posted by   + Show Post
http://news.yahoo.com/petition-urges-white-house-classify-westboro-church-hate-192906943.html

Can someone make it clicky?
I'm writing from my iPad :)
Jasmine

Mother to three beautiful kids, Faith Milany 5-24-06, Alexander 8-11-07, Khaleb Mobin 3-02-10
by on Dec. 28, 2012 at 9:05 AM
Replies (41-50):
katy_kay08
by on Dec. 28, 2012 at 6:36 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting lga1965:

Quoting katy_kay08:

Quoting lga1965:

Quoting yourspecialkid:

Quoting Jers.:

I am all for free speech, but these people are the most deranged "church" I've ever seen.

Their antics certainly fit the definition of a hate group, so they should be classified as such.

Quoting yourspecialkid:

They can petition what they want it is free speech....just like the folks at WBC can spew what they want.....the SCOTUS has already ruled what they spew as free speech.

So should we classify YOU as a hate group too?  The free speech door has to swing both ways...............unless you really want to give someone the authority to decide what is hate speech.....I am sure the folks at WBC would feel YOU are a hater.

This is WHY the SCOTUS said they are using their right of free speech.

I am not supporting the WBC...I think they are awful..........BUT I will...to my last breath...support their right to free speech.......lest I lose mine.

After reading your replies I think you MUST be a member of the WBC. You are defending  their Free Speech with such passion. And you even suggest that another Mom could be " a hate group". LOL. WHat a dimwit you are. And an ANGRY, arrogant dimwit. As usual.

Oh, and I am exercising MY freedom of speech so you can't censor me or silence me either!

Yes you are using your freedom of speech to show that you missed her point.  

If the government started labeling everyone that ever said something another disliked a "hate group" this country would be nothing but hate groups. 

I think that is a gross exaggeration. I know what her point is . But she is usually abrasive and arrogant and it makes me really resent her message, even though she could be partially correct.She likes to turn things around on others...such as suggesting that another Mom could be a hate group. Its overkill. Always overkill with her.

I don't think it's a gross exaggeration, in fact the only exaggeration I see comes from you as you suggest her support of the constition makes her of like minds with the members of the WBC.   I also support the Constition and believe we don't have to like one's message to recognize their right to voice it.  Does that make me a WBC member as well in your eyes?

GLWerth
by Gina on Dec. 28, 2012 at 6:41 PM

Oh, their free speech does not guarantee them tax exempt status!

They should not have that, then again, I really think that churches in general shouldn't have tax exemptions, since most of them are actually large, profit-taking businesses that produce nothing.

Quoting tambrathegreat:

And yet they still get a tax exemption for their hate group because it's labeled a church.  They certainly do have the ability to spew their hate, and it is protected by the first ammendment, but they should also be paying taxes for that right.

Quoting GLWerth:

They are indeed a hateful group, but unfortunately, their speech is protected.

We have a right to protest it. We have a right to stand between them and the objects of their hate (which seems to include everyone and everything save themselves), but the government doesn't have the right to stop them from speaking.

They are horrible, they are disgusting, but they have the right to speak.

And we have the right and responsibility to speak against them.

tambrathegreat
by on Dec. 28, 2012 at 6:44 PM

I never said their free speech guaranteed their tax exemption.  I said they were tax exempt because they were a church.  IMHO, if a church dabbles in the political, then they don't need to be tax exempt.  Period.

Quoting GLWerth:

They should not have that, then again, I really think that churches in general shouldn't have tax exemptions, since most of them are actually large, profit-taking businesses that produce nothing.

Quoting tambrathegreat:

And yet they still get a tax exemption for their hate group because it's labeled a church.  They certainly do have the ability to spew their hate, and it is protected by the first ammendment, but they should also be paying taxes for that right.

Quoting GLWerth:

We have a right to protest it. We have a right to stand between them and the objects of their hate (which seems to include everyone and everything save themselves), but the government doesn't have the right to stop them from speaking.

GLWerth
by Gina on Dec. 28, 2012 at 6:55 PM

I totally agree with you....sorry if that didn't come across very well, I've come down with the virus the kids have and am not really myself today.

I'm very foggy and crabby.

Quoting tambrathegreat:

I never said their free speech guaranteed their tax exemption.  I said they were tax exempt because they were a church.  IMHO, if a church dabbles in the political, then they don't need to be tax exempt.  Period.

Quoting GLWerth:

Quoting tambrathegreat:

Quoting GLWerth:

ms-superwoman
by Silver Member on Dec. 28, 2012 at 7:34 PM

Free speech is free speech, whether I like their message or not.

cammibear
by Gold Member on Dec. 28, 2012 at 9:00 PM
1 mom liked this
It's about manipulating them through the tax code. There's no way that's not government infringing upon free speech AND freedom of religion.

Quoting Jers.:

It's not about silencing them, it's about removing their tax-exempt status.

Quoting cammibear:

"Hate speech"/ "Hate Group" is nothing more than an attempt to silence those that speak out against moral relativity.

Violence against any person for any reason is already against the law. Labeling groups as hate groups because they speak out against things they consider to be bad for society is just hate from the opposite end. It's a violation of ones freedom of speech just because you don't like or agree with what they are saying.

In my hometown people lined the streets for miles to act as a buffer between Westboro and a fallen soldiers funeral. People traveled for miles to be a part of this out of respect for the family. That I stand behind. Giving government any control over any area of free speech I will stand against because it's unconstitutional.

Quoting Jers.:

hate group is an organized group or movement that advocates and practices hatredhostility, or violence towards members of a race, ethnicity, religion, gender, sexual orientation or other designated sector of society. 

I am not a group (nor do I advocate hatred, hostility or violence toward members of a race, ethnicity, religion, gender or sexual orientation).  

They can say and do whatever they want, but I am against them doing it all as a CHURCH and receiving federal benefits as a religious organization.  They are what the US defines as a hate group and they should be classified as such.  The US government should not financially support hate groups.

Quoting yourspecialkid:

Quoting Jers.:

I am all for free speech, but these people are the most deranged "church" I've ever seen.

Their antics certainly fit the definition of a hate group, so they should be classified as such.

Quoting yourspecialkid:

They can petition what they want it is free speech....just like the folks at WBC can spew what they want.....the SCOTUS has already ruled what they spew as free speech.

So should we classify YOU as a hate group too?  The free speech door has to swing both ways...............unless you really want to give someone the authority to decide what is hate speech.....I am sure the folks at WBC would feel YOU are a hater.

I am not supporting the WBC...I think they are awful..........BUT I will...to my last breath...support their right to free speech.......lest I lose mine.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
-Eilish-
by Gold Member on Dec. 28, 2012 at 9:06 PM

They haven't violated their tax exempt status.

Quoting Jers.:

It's not about silencing them, it's about removing their tax-exempt status.

Quoting cammibear:

"Hate speech"/ "Hate Group" is nothing more than an attempt to silence those that speak out against moral relativity.

Violence against any person for any reason is already against the law. Labeling groups as hate groups because they speak out against things they consider to be bad for society is just hate from the opposite end. It's a violation of ones freedom of speech just because you don't like or agree with what they are saying.

In my hometown people lined the streets for miles to act as a buffer between Westboro and a fallen soldiers funeral. People traveled for miles to be a part of this out of respect for the family. That I stand behind. Giving government any control over any area of free speech I will stand against because it's unconstitutional.

Quoting Jers.:

hate group is an organized group or movement that advocates and practices hatredhostility, or violence towards members of a race, ethnicity, religion, gender, sexual orientation or other designated sector of society. 

I am not a group (nor do I advocate hatred, hostility or violence toward members of a race, ethnicity, religion, gender or sexual orientation).  

They can say and do whatever they want, but I am against them doing it all as a CHURCH and receiving federal benefits as a religious organization.  They are what the US defines as a hate group and they should be classified as such.  The US government should not financially support hate groups.

Quoting yourspecialkid:

Quoting Jers.:

Quoting yourspecialkid:

-Eilish-
by Gold Member on Dec. 28, 2012 at 9:10 PM
1 mom liked this

They aren't political, they are social. I'm on the board of a 501c3 and the only political speech we can't take part in is directly influencing elections (ie, "you should vote for ___") They have the right to speak their mind on social issues, and that's exactly what they are doing. As much I disagree with their comments and tactics, the 1st amendment protects outrageous, contraversial speech.

Quoting LindaClement:

If this were in Canada, their status as a tax-free church would have been revoked long ago.

Their 'activities' are political, not charitable.

Quoting Jers.:

Quoting yourspecialkid:

DropZoneMom
by Bronze Member on Dec. 28, 2012 at 9:13 PM

The only members of this "church" are FAMILY.   Time to cough up their share of taxes.

yourspecialkid
by Platinum Member on Dec. 28, 2012 at 9:17 PM

Quoting Jers.:

Quoting yourspecialkid:

Quoting Jers.:

Quoting yourspecialkid:

Sorry.  Your opinion does not trump the SCOTUS ruling.  Now do you seriously want your own free speech limited?  The Constitution does not give you the right to never be offended.

The government is not financially SUPPORTING this church...its members do.  Where would you get that idea?

You might want to read the 8 to 1 SCOTUS ruling....

http://www.law.cornell.edu/supct/html/09-751.ZS.html

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN