Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Westboro, what you ladies think of this?

Posted by   + Show Post
http://news.yahoo.com/petition-urges-white-house-classify-westboro-church-hate-192906943.html

Can someone make it clicky?
I'm writing from my iPad :)
Jasmine

Mother to three beautiful kids, Faith Milany 5-24-06, Alexander 8-11-07, Khaleb Mobin 3-02-10
by on Dec. 28, 2012 at 9:05 AM
Replies (61-68):
Bonita131
by Bronze Member on Dec. 29, 2012 at 7:46 AM

Quoting yourspecialkid:

Quoting Jers.:

I am all for free speech, but these people are the most deranged "church" I've ever seen.

Their antics certainly fit the definition of a hate group, so they should be classified as such.

Quoting yourspecialkid:

They can petition what they want it is free speech....just like the folks at WBC can spew what they want.....the SCOTUS has already ruled what they spew as free speech.

So should we classify YOU as a hate group too?  The free speech door has to swing both ways...............unless you really want to give someone the authority to decide what is hate speech.....I am sure the folks at WBC would feel YOU are a hater.

This is WHY the SCOTUS said they are using their right of free speech.

I am not supporting the WBC...I think they are awful..........BUT I will...to my last breath...support their right to free speech.......lest I lose mine.

The right to free speech has become laughable. It needs an overhaul badly with hate speech being a convictable crime.. 

And please, save your,  but I will to my last breath support the scum bags right to free speech, overly dramatic bull shit for your local drama club.

yourspecialkid
by Platinum Member on Dec. 29, 2012 at 10:34 AM

Quoting Bonita131:

Quoting yourspecialkid:

Quoting Jers.:

I am all for free speech, but these people are the most deranged "church" I've ever seen.

Their antics certainly fit the definition of a hate group, so they should be classified as such.

Quoting yourspecialkid:

They can petition what they want it is free speech....just like the folks at WBC can spew what they want.....the SCOTUS has already ruled what they spew as free speech.

So should we classify YOU as a hate group too?  The free speech door has to swing both ways...............unless you really want to give someone the authority to decide what is hate speech.....I am sure the folks at WBC would feel YOU are a hater.

This is WHY the SCOTUS said they are using their right of free speech.

I am not supporting the WBC...I think they are awful..........BUT I will...to my last breath...support their right to free speech.......lest I lose mine.

The right to free speech has become laughable. It needs an overhaul badly with hate speech being a convictable crime.. 

And please, save your,  but I will to my last breath support the scum bags right to free speech, overly dramatic bull shit for your local drama club.

LOL!  You don't know me very well do you?  I always mean what I say and I never lack the balls to say what needs to be said.  I really don't care if the truth hurts your wittle fweelings.

Until such time as YOU can trump the SCOTUS...and YOU are capable of shredding the Constitution...freedom of speech is just that...free.  And YOU can either ignore what does not please you or you can get glad in the same pants you got mad in.  The Constitution does not give you the right to never be offended.

Claire-Huxtable
by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 10:38 AM

Then let's just rip up that pesky Constitution.

Quoting carterscutie85:

How about we petition to get them shut down instead?

Seriously..anyone who protests a child's funeral is just fucked up and needs to be locked away in a dark corner somewhere.

When the KKK doesn't agree with your shit, you know you did something bad lol.

Jynnifer292
by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 10:49 AM

They are, without a doubt, a hate group. It is bad enough that these scumbags despise homosexuals, but to victimize people during the most tragic times of their lives, during events that have nothing to do with homosexuality, speaks volumes as to how twisted and sick they are.

Jynnifer292
by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 10:54 AM

There is a difference between free speech and harassing people. They harass people, while they bury their children. No, I don't think they should be free to do that. They can broadcast it on the computer, radio, television, in their own twisted f'ing church, but they should not be allowed to harass people at a funeral.

jaxTheMomm
by Platinum Member on Dec. 29, 2012 at 11:00 AM

I am all for supporting free speech, even when it's vile.

I'm also all for hate groups like the WBC being labeled as such and loose their tax exempt status.  Let them travel to protest the funerals of children and soldiers on their own dime.

LindaClement
by Thatwoman on Dec. 29, 2012 at 10:11 PM

Good point, well made.

They're still not a charitable group, and on that basis should lose their tax-free status.

Free speech or not, their activities support and uplift no one.

Quoting -Eilish-:

They aren't political, they are social. I'm on the board of a 501c3 and the only political speech we can't take part in is directly influencing elections (ie, "you should vote for ___") They have the right to speak their mind on social issues, and that's exactly what they are doing. As much I disagree with their comments and tactics, the 1st amendment protects outrageous, contraversial speech.

Quoting LindaClement:

If this were in Canada, their status as a tax-free church would have been revoked long ago.

Their 'activities' are political, not charitable.

Quoting Jers.:

Quoting yourspecialkid:

SRUsarahSC
by Bronze Member on Dec. 29, 2012 at 10:56 PM

Military husband would like to see them classified as a terrorist organization.  Best way to get rid of them is find out how they are funded and cut the money off.  No money, no ability to travel all over the country spewing their insanity. They protested at a few high schools in my area (for God only knows what) so I took the day off work and protested them. Felt good, I was at a military funeral they showed up to.  They are all insane.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN