Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

England Warns America: Don't let them take your guns

Posted by   + Show Post
England grabbed its citizens guns in 1997. Crime skyrocketed as the law-abiding were disarmed. The English citizens have a message for Americans.
00:09:09
Added on 9/13/12
This is a 9 min video about the ban of guns in England and what has happened since. It is a warning to those in America that cherish their freedom.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9ZvwPmjJu4&feature=player_embedded
by on Dec. 28, 2012 at 1:30 PM
Replies (11-20):
katy_kay08
by on Dec. 28, 2012 at 2:25 PM
4 moms liked this

many of these women would have to jump on board a plane bound for reality before that discussion could start.  

Quoting olivejuice2:

You guys.

No one is trying to take your guns. No one is seriously trying to ban all guns.

Your right to own a gun does not supercede my right, or my kid's right to life.

Can we please have a reality based conversation about guns now?

kailu1835
by Ruby Member on Dec. 28, 2012 at 2:26 PM
3 moms liked this

There are no military grade weapons on the legal market.

Quoting TCgirlatheart:

As a proponent of better gun control, I do not want to see all guns banned outright.
I just do not see why an average citizen needs a military grade gun and ammo. At all. There are other guns out that can be used for personal protection and hunting.

babiesbabybaby development

Clairwil
by Ruby Member on Dec. 28, 2012 at 2:28 PM
Quoting kailu1835:

Violent crime is higher in England than anywhere else in Europe, outranks us at a rate 8 times higher than ours, and they even outrank Africa, where miniwars are going on.

Wrong.

I debunked that claim in a recent thread.   Do a CafeMom search on "England", "Crime" and "Clairwil".

TruthSeeker.
by Milami on Dec. 28, 2012 at 2:29 PM
2 moms liked this

Would you mind further explaining this sentence?

Quoting olivejuice2:

You guys.

katy_kay08
by on Dec. 28, 2012 at 2:30 PM

I would also point out that not all guns were banned in England.  

dustinsmom1
by JENN on Dec. 28, 2012 at 2:30 PM
3 moms liked this

My owning a gun does nothing to your or your kids right to life. How does my owning a gun make you less safe?makes my family much safer) The mentally unstable and criminals put your families life at risk, not honest gun owners.

Criminals and the mentally disturbed will get hold of a gun if they want one, no matter what you do to keep guns out of honest citizens hands.

olivejuice2:

You guys.

TruthSeeker.
by Milami on Dec. 28, 2012 at 2:31 PM
1 mom liked this

Actually there are, but that is an entirely different debate :)

Quoting kailu1835:

There are no military grade weapons on the legal market.

Quoting TCgirlatheart:

As a proponent of better gun control, I do not want to see all guns banned outright.
I just do not see why an average citizen needs a military grade gun and ammo. At all. There are other guns out that can be used for personal protection and hunting.

survivorinohio
by René on Dec. 28, 2012 at 2:31 PM
1 mom liked this

Agreed

Quoting katzmeow726:

Keep in mind, there is a different environment here.  There were not as many illegal guns owned by criminals back then, in England, as there are now in the US today.  To ban guns totally would be a bad move.  There are too many criminals, and too many unregistered, stolen, and illegal weapons on our streets.  IF the US wanted to ban guns, they should have done so a VERY long time ago.  If they try it now, it will only help the criminal element...and harm those who wish to protect themselves and their families.

Quoting Clairwil:

Quoting Natesmom507:

England grabbed its citizens guns in 1997. Crime skyrocketed as the law-abiding were disarmed.

Figures for the last 10 years:

There was a brief increase after 1997, but the trend has been downwards.

How far you go in life depends on your being: tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of both the weak and strong.  Because someday in life you would have been one or all of these.  GeorgeWashingtonCarver

kailu1835
by Ruby Member on Dec. 28, 2012 at 2:32 PM
2 moms liked this

You're focusing on gun crime, but the OP didn't state that gun crime skyrocketed, it stated that crime skyrocketed, and that is factually correct.

Quoting Clairwil:

Quoting katzmeow726:
Quoting Clairwil:
Quoting Natesmom507:

England grabbed its citizens guns in 1997. Crime skyrocketed as the law-abiding were disarmed.

Keep in mind, there is a different environment here..

Not my point.

My point is that the claim being made by the OP is factually incorrect (aka "a lie"); or at least so wildly out of context as to be intentionally deceptive.

babiesbabybaby development

katzmeow726
by Platinum Member on Dec. 28, 2012 at 2:32 PM

I'm aware of that...what I did is called expanding upon an idea.

You know, taking a statement, and building upon it. I quoted your reference to crime statistics because it was a place to start my own opinion and idea regarding the situation.   

In other words, while technically going "off topic" I felt that what I said was pertinent to the discussion as a whole, regarding crime and the ban of weapons.  Perhaps I should have just made a reply and not quoted you...heaven forbid your point get lost because the flow of the conversation had a slight change of direction.

Quoting Clairwil:

Quoting katzmeow726:
Quoting Clairwil:
Quoting Natesmom507:

Keep in mind, there is a different environment here..

Not my point.

My point is that the claim being made by the OP is factually incorrect (aka "a lie"); or at least so wildly out of context as to be intentionally deceptive.

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Third Birthday tickers

Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN