Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Does a white guy have any business making a movie about slavery?

Posted by   + Show Post
I was just listening to an interview about Quentin Tarantinos new film Django Unchained. The interviewer mentioned that she was black then asked him why he, a white guy, was the right person to tell this story.

Seemed like kind of a weird question...its not like Peter Jackson is a Hobbit.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 28, 2012 at 7:04 PM
Replies (11-20):
FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Dec. 28, 2012 at 8:14 PM

Quoting momtimesx4:

Spike Lee was busy and couldn't be bothered.

*now wonders who listens to NPR and the segment on Django Unchained.

I don't like Spike Lee.  Never have.

He made some comments along the same line as the OP mentioned.  Didn't surprise me.  He seems to always need some thing to be pissed about.

~*~Youth is when you're allowed to stay up late on New Year's Eve. Middle age is when you're forced to.~*~

Iconoclast
by on Dec. 28, 2012 at 8:15 PM

Took the words right out of my mouth.

Quoting autodidact:

I don't believe he's jewish, either, but he made a film that addressed their treatment at the hands of the nazis. 

he made kill bill and he's not a woman. 

I doubt he's a "cleaner" or a hitman, or a boxer, or a gangster, or a gimp, etc, but they are all in Pulp Fiction. 

autodidact
by Platinum Member on Dec. 28, 2012 at 8:21 PM
1 mom liked this

it'd be nice if that were true.

regardless, it's not necessary for a director to have personally experienced everything they make films about. 

Quoting Dzyre1115:

Since there are no living slaves, any person, black or white, that has studied the history of slavery, is just as qualified as the next guy!

DropZoneMom
by Bronze Member on Dec. 28, 2012 at 8:54 PM
1 mom liked this

My guess is Tarantino did a tremendous amount of research on the topic before making the movie -- and is probably significantly more knowledgable than the interviewer.  Too bad he didn't turn it around by asking HER some questions.

DropZoneMom
by Bronze Member on Dec. 28, 2012 at 8:55 PM
1 mom liked this

Spike Lee announced he's "boycotting" the movie -- even though he hasn't seen it.   Apparently, Spike Lee thinks he's still relevant.   Poor little Spike....

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Quoting momtimesx4:

He made some comments along the same line as the OP mentioned.  Didn't surprise me.  He seems to always need some thing to be pissed about.

Lizard_Lina
by Silver Member on Dec. 28, 2012 at 8:56 PM
Dude Jamie Fox pissed me off the other night talking about this movie. Idk if I even want to see it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JoshRachelsMAMA
by JRM on Dec. 28, 2012 at 8:57 PM
1 mom liked this
Reporters and their stupid questions.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Dec. 28, 2012 at 9:05 PM

Quoting DropZoneMom:

Spike Lee announced he's "boycotting" the movie -- even though he hasn't seen it.   Apparently, Spike Lee thinks he's still relevant.   Poor little Spike....

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Quoting momtimesx4:

It's funny that you mentioned how he feels he is relevant.  My daughter, not five minutes ago, mentioned how Spike Lee is any thing other than relevant. ;)

~*~Youth is when you're allowed to stay up late on New Year's Eve. Middle age is when you're forced to.~*~

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Dec. 28, 2012 at 9:06 PM

Quoting Lizard_Lina:

Dude Jamie Fox pissed me off the other night talking about this movie. Idk if I even want to see it.

What did he say?  Has he seen the movie?

SandyLaxner
by Bronze Member on Dec. 28, 2012 at 9:09 PM
1 mom liked this

Lol.  Exactly.  Free country,anybody can make a movie if they can afford it!  Any reason or more like no reason to shout racism.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured