Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Does a white guy have any business making a movie about slavery?

Posted by   + Show Post
I was just listening to an interview about Quentin Tarantinos new film Django Unchained. The interviewer mentioned that she was black then asked him why he, a white guy, was the right person to tell this story.

Seemed like kind of a weird question...its not like Peter Jackson is a Hobbit.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 28, 2012 at 7:04 PM
Replies (21-30):
Lizard_Lina
by Silver Member on Dec. 28, 2012 at 9:10 PM
He's the star.
And he said its awesome because he gets to kill all the white people.
I seriously just stared at the tv like Wtf did he just say?

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Quoting Lizard_Lina:

Dude Jamie Fox pissed me off the other night talking about this movie. Idk if I even want to see it.

What did he say?  Has he seen the movie?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
GLWerth
by Gina on Dec. 28, 2012 at 9:10 PM

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Quoting Lizard_Lina:

Dude Jamie Fox pissed me off the other night talking about this movie. Idk if I even want to see it.

He's the star of the movie.

Eh, Tarantino is a bit too needlessly violent for my taste, but he certainly can make any film he wants to.

Too violent for me, but he tends to choose good cinematographers and has a good eye for framing. I can see the artistic merit in his films, they are just not to my taste.

nelliesmommy
by Bronze Member on Dec. 28, 2012 at 9:22 PM

yes...why shouldn't he be able to?

mommajen32
by Platinum Member on Dec. 28, 2012 at 9:25 PM

I see no issue with it, Spike Lee is just pissed ...and there are a couple people they can put a mic in front of that will give a sideways opinion too. I heard that it isn't very good though. I will always think of Reservoir Dogs or Pulp Fiction and Kill Bill or Desperato...not real historical movies ....when it comes to Tarentino

mommajen32
by Platinum Member on Dec. 28, 2012 at 9:32 PM

Quoting Lizard_Lina:

He's the star.

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Quoting Lizard_Lina:

See that would piss me off too ... it doesn't do the rest of us (black folks) any good when people go out and make statements like that. Even though Mr. Foxx is an individual unfortunately in America folks will take his statement and use it as a reflection of "black people" ...ugh. Stupid, stupid, stupid....and really does he think that will bring people to the movie?? He was probably trying to be funny (tongue-n-cheek) ...I can see where that would be an epic fail. 

Lizard_Lina
by Silver Member on Dec. 28, 2012 at 9:44 PM
It was RIGHT after the election, which has obviously caused a huge divide, and goes and makes a comment like that. I was like Wtf dude. If he has said "I get to kill all the slave owners" I wouldn't have even given it a second thought.

Quoting mommajen32:

Quoting Lizard_Lina:

He's the star.

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Quoting Lizard_Lina:

See that would piss me off too ... it doesn't do the rest of us (black folks) any good when people go out and make statements like that. Even though Mr. Foxx is an individual unfortunately in America folks will take his statement and use it as a reflection of "black people" ...ugh. Stupid, stupid, stupid....and really does he think that will bring people to the movie?? He was probably trying to be funny (tongue-n-cheek) ...I can see where that would be an epic fail. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TruthSeeker.
by Milami on Dec. 28, 2012 at 9:46 PM

Seriously? Wow.

TruthSeeker.
by Milami on Dec. 28, 2012 at 9:48 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting mommajen32:

Quoting Lizard_Lina:

He's the star.

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Quoting Lizard_Lina:

It doesn't piss me off in the slightest. He is a comedian!!

Lizard_Lina
by Silver Member on Dec. 28, 2012 at 9:49 PM
That is not funny.

Quoting TruthSeeker.:

Quoting mommajen32:

Quoting Lizard_Lina:

He's the star.

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Quoting Lizard_Lina:

It doesn't piss me off in the slightest. He is a comedian!!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mandi812
by on Dec. 28, 2012 at 9:51 PM

Why does it matter?  It's not like any black person that was to tell the story now has any more experience with slavery than any one else.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)