Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Does a white guy have any business making a movie about slavery?

Posted by   + Show Post
I was just listening to an interview about Quentin Tarantinos new film Django Unchained. The interviewer mentioned that she was black then asked him why he, a white guy, was the right person to tell this story.

Seemed like kind of a weird question...its not like Peter Jackson is a Hobbit.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 28, 2012 at 7:04 PM
Replies (31-40):
TruthSeeker.
by Milami on Dec. 28, 2012 at 9:54 PM

I'm sure it was funny to many people. Not everyone shares the same humor. Thankfully.

Quoting Lizard_Lina:

That is not funny.

Quoting TruthSeeker.:

Quoting mommajen32:

See that would piss me off too ... it doesn't do the rest of us (black folks) any good when people go out and make statements like that. Even though Mr. Foxx is an individual unfortunately in America folks will take his statement and use it as a reflection of "black people" ...ugh. Stupid, stupid, stupid....and really does he think that will bring people to the movie?? He was probably trying to be funny (tongue-n-cheek) ...I can see where that would be an epic fail. 

It doesn't piss me off in the slightest. He is a comedian!!

Lizard_Lina
by Silver Member on Dec. 28, 2012 at 9:59 PM
It's funny to say you should see the movie that is amazing because he gets to kill all the white people? Mind if I ask what race you are?

Quoting TruthSeeker.:

I'm sure it was funny to many people. Not everyone shares the same humor. Thankfully.

Quoting Lizard_Lina:

That is not funny.

Quoting TruthSeeker.:

Quoting mommajen32:

See that would piss me off too ... it doesn't do the rest of us (black folks) any good when people go out and make statements like that. Even though Mr. Foxx is an individual unfortunately in America folks will take his statement and use it as a reflection of "black people" ...ugh. Stupid, stupid, stupid....and really does he think that will bring people to the movie?? He was probably trying to be funny (tongue-n-cheek) ...I can see where that would be an epic fail. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TruthSeeker.
by Milami on Dec. 28, 2012 at 10:15 PM
2 moms liked this

I am white and perfectly secure in my whiteness to know what Jamie Foxx said was tongue in cheek. Have you ever watched him do stand up? He's hilarious.

Quoting Lizard_Lina:

It's funny to say you should see the movie that is amazing because he gets to kill all the white people? Mind if I ask what race you are?

Quoting TruthSeeker.:

Mommy_of_Riley
by Jes on Dec. 28, 2012 at 10:23 PM
People can make movies about what they like... I don't care.

And I LOVE Tarantino!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TruthSeeker.
by Milami on Dec. 28, 2012 at 10:24 PM

Quoting Mommy_of_Riley:

People can make movies about what they like... I don't care.

And I LOVE Tarantino!

Me too!! I think I've seen every Tarantino movie made and own many. Can't wait to see this movie also.

MeAndTommyLee
by Gold Member on Dec. 28, 2012 at 10:25 PM

Absolutely.  No black person living today was a slave anyway.  Therefore, they can not lend `personal experience' to the subject.  Having ancestors that were slaves does not make the average black person in todays society any more knowing than the `white guy' that's making the film.  

Quoting dustinsmom1:

Why not? A White guy can do the research as well a Black Guy.

Euphoric
by Bazinga! on Dec. 28, 2012 at 10:28 PM

I see no problem.

Citygirlk
by Gold Member on Dec. 28, 2012 at 10:29 PM

Well since he's not showing the slave master as a hero then yes. Also he got his black pass years ago lol.

Citygirlk
by Gold Member on Dec. 28, 2012 at 10:36 PM

Not trying to defend him but I don't think he meant it to come out that way the movies is about a slave who gets free and get revenge killing all the white people means (at least how I understand it) killing all the slave masters.

Quoting Lizard_Lina:

He's the star.
And he said its awesome because he gets to kill all the white people.
I seriously just stared at the tv like Wtf did he just say?

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Quoting Lizard_Lina:

Dude Jamie Fox pissed me off the other night talking about this movie. Idk if I even want to see it.

What did he say?  Has he seen the movie?

Citygirlk
by Gold Member on Dec. 28, 2012 at 10:38 PM

Because if you know what the movie is about you know he's was talking about the bad white people, the salve masters.

Quoting Lizard_Lina:

Quoting TruthSeeker.:

Quoting Lizard_Lina:

That is not funny.

Quoting TruthSeeker.:

Quoting mommajen32:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)