Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Does a white guy have any business making a movie about slavery?

Posted by   + Show Post
I was just listening to an interview about Quentin Tarantinos new film Django Unchained. The interviewer mentioned that she was black then asked him why he, a white guy, was the right person to tell this story.

Seemed like kind of a weird question...its not like Peter Jackson is a Hobbit.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 28, 2012 at 7:04 PM
Replies (41-50):
FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Dec. 28, 2012 at 10:46 PM

Quoting GLWerth:

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Quoting Lizard_Lina:

Dude Jamie Fox pissed me off the other night talking about this movie. Idk if I even want to see it.

What did he say?  Has he seen the movie?

He's the star of the movie.

Eh, Tarantino is a bit too needlessly violent for my taste, but he certainly can make any film he wants to.

Too violent for me, but he tends to choose good cinematographers and has a good eye for framing. I can see the artistic merit in his films, they are just not to my taste.

See how much attention I pay!  I didn't realize he was the star of the show. lol

~*~Youth is when you're allowed to stay up late on New Year's Eve. Middle age is when you're forced to.~*~

stacymomof2
by Ruby Member on Dec. 28, 2012 at 10:59 PM

I do want to see it.  I don't think there is any problem with Tarantino doing it!

Lizard_Lina
by Silver Member on Dec. 29, 2012 at 12:14 AM
That's fine. It still wasn't funny.

Quoting TruthSeeker.:

I am white and perfectly secure in my whiteness to know what Jamie Foxx said was tongue in cheek. Have you ever watched him do stand up? He's hilarious.

Quoting Lizard_Lina:

It's funny to say you should see the movie that is amazing because he gets to kill all the white people? Mind if I ask what race you are?

Quoting TruthSeeker.:

I'm sure it was funny to many people. Not everyone shares the same humor. Thankfully.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
meka26
by Member on Dec. 29, 2012 at 12:15 AM

I liked the movie, and why not let him make it.

Lizard_Lina
by Silver Member on Dec. 29, 2012 at 12:16 AM
I understand that, so why wouldn't he just say that? Not all white people agreed with slavery

Quoting Citygirlk:

Because if you know what the movie is about you know he's was talking about the bad white people, the salve masters.

Quoting Lizard_Lina:

It's funny to say you should see the movie that is amazing because he gets to kill all the white people? Mind if I ask what race you are?

Quoting TruthSeeker.:

I'm sure it was funny to many people. Not everyone shares the same humor. Thankfully.

Quoting Lizard_Lina:

That is not funny.

Quoting TruthSeeker.:

Quoting mommajen32:

See that would piss me off too ... it doesn't do the rest of us (black folks) any good when people go out and make statements like that. Even though Mr. Foxx is an individual unfortunately in America folks will take his statement and use it as a reflection of "black people" ...ugh. Stupid, stupid, stupid....and really does he think that will bring people to the movie?? He was probably trying to be funny (tongue-n-cheek) ...I can see where that would be an epic fail. 

It doesn't piss me off in the slightest. He is a comedian!!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Dec. 29, 2012 at 12:20 AM
1 mom liked this

So, I looked in to what Jamie Foxx had to say.

My goodness.  Much ado about nothing.  Coming from him, his sense of humor, it makes sense.

If some one chooses to take it out of context, that is on them.

Mommy_of_Riley
by Jes on Dec. 29, 2012 at 1:10 AM
I've seen them all except this one... We own all of his movies except the Kill Bills...

Quoting TruthSeeker.:

Quoting Mommy_of_Riley:

People can make movies about what they like... I don't care.

And I LOVE Tarantino!

Me too!! I think I've seen every Tarantino movie made and own many. Can't wait to see this movie also.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
glitterteaz
by Ruby Member on Dec. 29, 2012 at 1:19 AM
1 mom liked this

not all

Quoting nan00:

Why not?

There were slave masters, and slaves in every family down through history.

Clairwil
by Ruby Member on Dec. 29, 2012 at 3:57 AM
Quoting UpSheRises:

Does a white guy have any business making a movie about slavery?

The interviewer mentioned that she was black then asked him why he, a white guy, was the right person to tell this story.

Your title and the quote don't match.

The title is one question.

But what the interviewer asked is something much more reasonable.   She asked a specific person in front of her why he was the right person to tell a particular story.  That's a good leading interview question.

candlegal
by Judy on Dec. 29, 2012 at 7:42 AM

Spike Lee's  boycotting the movie will probably get more people to see it.

Quoting DropZoneMom:

Spike Lee announced he's "boycotting" the movie -- even though he hasn't seen it.   Apparently, Spike Lee thinks he's still relevant.   Poor little Spike....

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Quoting momtimesx4:

Spike Lee was busy and couldn't be bothered.

*now wonders who listens to NPR and the segment on Django Unchained.

I don't like Spike Lee.  Never have.

He made some comments along the same line as the OP mentioned.  Didn't surprise me.  He seems to always need some thing to be pissed about.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured