Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Does a white guy have any business making a movie about slavery?

Posted by   + Show Post
I was just listening to an interview about Quentin Tarantinos new film Django Unchained. The interviewer mentioned that she was black then asked him why he, a white guy, was the right person to tell this story.

Seemed like kind of a weird question...its not like Peter Jackson is a Hobbit.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 28, 2012 at 7:04 PM
Replies (61-70):
Rhiannon92
by Member on Dec. 29, 2012 at 9:46 AM

That's all "history" ever really is anyways (revisionist) lol.

This movie isn't meant to be "historically accurate" so much as a fictional story, told in a historical setting.. It's not like it's supposed to be a documentary or anything, haha.

Quoting UpSheRises:

Quoting mommajen32:

I see no issue with it, Spike Lee is just pissed ...and there are a couple people they can put a mic in front of that will give a sideways opinion too. I heard that it isn't very good though. I will always think of Reservoir Dogs or Pulp Fiction and Kill Bill or Desperato...not real historical movies ....when it comes to Tarentino

During the interview he referred to his films as "revisionist history".

UpSheRises
by Platinum Member on Dec. 29, 2012 at 9:46 AM

Quoting Clairwil:

Quoting UpSheRises:
Quoting Clairwil:
Quoting UpSheRises:

Does a white guy have any business making a movie about slavery?

The interviewer mentioned that she was black then asked him why he, a white guy, was the right person to tell this story.

Your title and the quote don't match.

The title is one question.

But what the interviewer asked is something much more reasonable.   She asked a specific person in front of her why he was the right person to tell a particular story.  That's a good leading interview question.

Since i heard the interview and you did not i can, without a doubt, ensure you that she was asking specifically about race.

Sure, but was she saying "You don't have a right to tell this story, because you are white" ?

Or was she saying "Persuade me.  Given your background X, Y & Z, what makes you the right person to tell this particular story" ?

No, she was asking him if he thought he had the right to tell a slave story because he was white or if he had gotten any blow back because of it.

Mommy2BeAmy
by Silver Member on Dec. 29, 2012 at 9:48 AM
1 mom liked this

If we are passed slavery and ended segregation why is she segregating who should write the story based on color? I thought we got passed this, and that's what the move is about how one nation was treated just because of skin pigmentation. And she's curious if a white man should write it? Lol....oooook

Emilytrademark
by Bronze Member on Dec. 29, 2012 at 10:01 AM

He has as much right as any other person.

BabyFruit Ticker
TruthSeeker.
by Milami on Dec. 29, 2012 at 11:37 AM

Kill Bills are ok. My absolute favorite is Reservoir Dogs.

Quoting Mommy_of_Riley:

I've seen them all except this one... We own all of his movies except the Kill Bills...

Quoting TruthSeeker.:

Quoting Mommy_of_Riley:

People can make movies about what they like... I don't care.

And I LOVE Tarantino!

Me too!! I think I've seen every Tarantino movie made and own many. Can't wait to see this movie also.

thecoffeefairy
by Bronze Member on Dec. 29, 2012 at 11:41 AM
As long as he makes the film as authentically as possible, I don't see why it matters where the lesson comes from as long as its taught.
Mommy_of_Riley
by Jes on Dec. 29, 2012 at 12:13 PM
YES YES YES!!! I love that movie!!!

Quoting TruthSeeker.:

Kill Bills are ok. My absolute favorite is Reservoir Dogs.

Quoting Mommy_of_Riley:

I've seen them all except this one... We own all of his movies except the Kill Bills...

Quoting TruthSeeker.:

Quoting Mommy_of_Riley:

People can make movies about what they like... I don't care.

And I LOVE Tarantino!

Me too!! I think I've seen every Tarantino movie made and own many. Can't wait to see this movie also.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rfurlongg
by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 2:37 PM

I do not think Tarantino has ever known a historical movie maker. He is above all an entertainer. 

singlemom1208
by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 4:35 PM
Yep

Quoting stormcris:

Just upon reading the gist of this movie, it seems the slavery is geared toward the type of slavery still going on. Short of suggesting an actual person who has been a slave making the movie the question seems to be tragically errant in the understanding that slavery was/is more than just something that happened at a set time in history to only a select race.

EireLass
by Ruby Member on Dec. 29, 2012 at 4:57 PM

Because the white man owned the slaves? Haven't seen the movie, but perhaps it's from the white mans perspective? But also, he's a great director, and knows to interview and follow the right people for the right perspective, so perhaps he interviewed people who can easily trace back their geneology.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)