Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Does a white guy have any business making a movie about slavery?

Posted by   + Show Post
I was just listening to an interview about Quentin Tarantinos new film Django Unchained. The interviewer mentioned that she was black then asked him why he, a white guy, was the right person to tell this story.

Seemed like kind of a weird question...its not like Peter Jackson is a Hobbit.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 28, 2012 at 7:04 PM
Replies (71-80):
tambrathegreat
by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 5:00 PM

Yes.

jaxTheMomm
by Platinum Member on Dec. 29, 2012 at 5:07 PM

Sure a white guy can make a movie about slavery.  Whether it's accurate or not, good or not, just depends on the film maker.

I don't like Taurantino films at all and I doubt I'll see this film.  I also doubt it will be an educational, emotional look at the lives of slaves and their owners (God I hate that word in this context) that gives us a true sense of what their lives were like. However, I doubt that's what he's going for.

shadenn766
by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 5:36 PM

dosen't upset me either... yes he's a comedian and it was a joke

Quoting TruthSeeker.:

Quoting mommajen32:

Quoting Lizard_Lina:

He's the star.
And he said its awesome because he gets to kill all the white people.
I seriously just stared at the tv like Wtf did he just say?

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Quoting Lizard_Lina:

Dude Jamie Fox pissed me off the other night talking about this movie. Idk if I even want to see it.

What did he say?  Has he seen the movie?

See that would piss me off too ... it doesn't do the rest of us (black folks) any good when people go out and make statements like that. Even though Mr. Foxx is an individual unfortunately in America folks will take his statement and use it as a reflection of "black people" ...ugh. Stupid, stupid, stupid....and really does he think that will bring people to the movie?? He was probably trying to be funny (tongue-n-cheek) ...I can see where that would be an epic fail. 

It doesn't piss me off in the slightest. He is a comedian!!

mehamil1
by Platinum Member on Dec. 29, 2012 at 5:43 PM
1 mom liked this

You do know that the white people in the film were monsters right? I think that's the context there. I've done a shit ton of research into slavery in this country and the conditions were deplorable. The people who committed that violence against so many people were monsters. Horrifying monsters. 

I can't blame him for saying that. I feel the same way. And I'm white. Those people, at that time, were some of the worst humanity has to offer. 

Quoting Lizard_Lina:

He's the star.
Quoting FromAtoZ:
Quoting Lizard_Lina:

Dude Jamie Fox pissed me off the other night talking about this movie. Idk if I even want to see it.

mehamil1
by Platinum Member on Dec. 29, 2012 at 5:45 PM
1 mom liked this

From what I have read of the reviews, Tarintino depicts slavery as brutal as it was. Think Amistad or Glory. He didn't hold back on it. Including the subjugation and mass rape of black women. Something that is left out and omitted from a lot of slave narratives. The sheer amount of rape that went on. 

Quoting jaxTheMomm:

Sure a white guy can make a movie about slavery.  Whether it's accurate or not, good or not, just depends on the film maker.

I don't like Taurantino films at all and I doubt I'll see this film.  I also doubt it will be an educational, emotional look at the lives of slaves and their owners (God I hate that word in this context) that gives us a true sense of what their lives were like. However, I doubt that's what he's going for.

Lizard_Lina
by Silver Member on Dec. 29, 2012 at 10:37 PM
Yup and he could have said slave drivers instead he said white people, cuz ya know, every white person back in the day treated slaves that brutally. So its fine, especially when the country is currently in such a divide, race and otherwise, to make a comment about how the movie is awesome because he gets to kill all the white people. No. It was bad wording completely. Not funny at all.

Quoting mehamil1:

You do know that the white people in the film were monsters right? I think that's the context there. I've done a shit ton of research into slavery in this country and the conditions were deplorable. The people who committed that violence against so many people were monsters. Horrifying monsters. 

I can't blame him for saying that. I feel the same way. And I'm white. Those people, at that time, were some of the worst humanity has to offer. 

Quoting Lizard_Lina:

He's the star.

Quoting FromAtoZ:
Quoting Lizard_Lina:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mehamil1
by Platinum Member on Dec. 29, 2012 at 10:45 PM

Some slave drivers and foremen were other black slaves. So that wouldn't be accurate. I don't know if Jamie Foxx is aware of that little factoid though. 

I can't say every white person back then was a monster. I know some were not. Some did the best they could to help slaves. 

Jamie Foxx is one guy who thinks he's badass (and he kinda is, can't deny it, just my opinion). He said something stupid and now it's getting whipped around. In due time it'll be forgotten. 

And I still agree with him. 

Quoting Lizard_Lina:

Yup and he could have said slave drivers instead he said white people, cuz ya know, every white person back in the day treated slaves that brutally. So its fine, especially when the country is currently in such a divide, race and otherwise, to make a comment about how the movie is awesome because he gets to kill all the white people. No. It was bad wording completely. Not funny at all.
Quoting mehamil1:

Quoting Lizard_Lina:

He's the star.

Quoting FromAtoZ:
Quoting Lizard_Lina:

sweet-a-kins
by Emerald Member on Dec. 29, 2012 at 10:47 PM
The story isn't about slavery

It's a kill bill with slavery as a backdrop

I want to see the movie but will wait for the DVD
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommajen32
by Platinum Member on Dec. 30, 2012 at 1:11 AM

Quoting UpSheRises:

Quoting mommajen32:

I see no issue with it, Spike Lee is just pissed ...and there are a couple people they can put a mic in front of that will give a sideways opinion too. I heard that it isn't very good though. I will always think of Reservoir Dogs or Pulp Fiction and Kill Bill or Desperato...not real historical movies ....when it comes to Tarentino

During the interview he referred to his films as "revisionist history".

Isn't that before he even saw the movie? The same ownership applied when Eminem hit the hip hop scene (and I was guilty as any for the wth attitude at first). It's like being the "first black" whatever, it's going against the grain and that will have criticism to be expected. So be it, same shoe different foot. Change (in thinking/attitude/color lines) takes time. 

mommajen32
by Platinum Member on Dec. 30, 2012 at 1:16 AM

Quoting shadenn766:

dosen't upset me either... yes he's a comedian and it was a joke

Quoting TruthSeeker.:

Quoting mommajen32:

Quoting Lizard_Lina:

He's the star.

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Quoting Lizard_Lina:

See that would piss me off too ... it doesn't do the rest of us (black folks) any good when people go out and make statements like that. Even though Mr. Foxx is an individual unfortunately in America folks will take his statement and use it as a reflection of "black people" ...ugh. Stupid, stupid, stupid....and really does he think that will bring people to the movie?? He was probably trying to be funny (tongue-n-cheek) ...I can see where that would be an epic fail. 

It doesn't piss me off in the slightest. He is a comedian!!

comedian or not some stuff aint funny given the context and the blow back for the rest of us. In the American context a black dude making a side comment about killing white folks isn't swallowed well....nor would one about killing black, asian or hispanic folks. I certainly see where it would at least be off-putting. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)