Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Does a white guy have any business making a movie about slavery?

Posted by   + Show Post
I was just listening to an interview about Quentin Tarantinos new film Django Unchained. The interviewer mentioned that she was black then asked him why he, a white guy, was the right person to tell this story.

Seemed like kind of a weird question...its not like Peter Jackson is a Hobbit.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 28, 2012 at 7:04 PM
Replies (81-90):
blues_pagan
by on Dec. 30, 2012 at 1:18 AM

I don't see an issue with it.  I don't think that anyone living in the US today can honestly say they know what it feels like to be a slave.  

frogbender
by Captain Underpants on Dec. 30, 2012 at 1:27 AM

Mel Brooks did.

blues_pagan
by on Dec. 30, 2012 at 1:29 AM

LOL Blazing Saddles!

Quoting frogbender:

Mel Brooks did.

AdellesMom
by on Dec. 30, 2012 at 1:30 AM
I don't see the problem.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
frogbender
by Captain Underpants on Dec. 30, 2012 at 1:30 AM
1 mom liked this

One of the best movies ever about slavery. =)

Quoting blues_pagan:

LOL Blazing Saddles!

Quoting frogbender:

Mel Brooks did.

piratepixie
by Member on Dec. 30, 2012 at 1:34 AM

not all slaves were of a ethnic minority, so i don't understand why people think that only a black person can make a movie about the subject. if people were to look into the history of a lot of different minorities they would discover that pretty much all of them had slaves and most where those of there own color or race. the only reason that people think of slavery and black people is because while slavery was never something new they were one of the most widely exploited ethnic groups in recent history.  which is probably why today most black people believe that they are owed some kind of compensation for there past treatments and there for asum that "white" people do not understand things....

which of course i think is stupid, and i personally believe that if we are doing to compancate for one ethic group we should do so for all of them, because as i said. we all were treated like slaves at one point!!!!

a white person has as much right to make a movie on the subject as the next person, if people have a problem with that then just dont watch the movie. its nothing to get your panties in a bunch over.

kailu1835
by Ruby Member on Dec. 30, 2012 at 1:52 AM

Really?  That was a serious question?  I would think anybody would be able to tell the story of slavery just as much as anyone else.  It's not like there are any black people living in America today (that didn't immigrate here within the last two generations) who have ever experienced slavery, so why would a black person be any better to tell the story than a white person?

Meadowchik
by Silver Member on Dec. 30, 2012 at 5:19 AM

What was his response?

UpSheRises
by Platinum Member on Dec. 30, 2012 at 6:07 AM

Quoting Meadowchik:

What was his response?

I don't remember it exactly but he talked about how his movies are action movies more than anything. He said thought when people went to see a movie about slavery or the holocaust they expect it to be horribly sad and that the action element made it different than other movies on the same subject.

It was a much better answer than i can articulate.

Meadowchik
by Silver Member on Dec. 30, 2012 at 6:11 AM

Sounds like he did not allow himself to be baited, then. 

Quoting UpSheRises:

Quoting Meadowchik:

What was his response?

I don't remember it exactly but he talked about how his movies are action movies more than anything. He said thought when people went to see a movie about slavery or the holocaust they expect it to be horribly sad and that the action element made it different than other movies on the same subject.

It was a much better answer than i can articulate.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)