Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

First Lawsuit From Sandy Hook Incident, $100 Million Claim Filed!

Posted by on Dec. 28, 2012 at 11:11 PM
  • 116 Replies

Not sure if anyone has posted this yet. This makes me ill, how could they have forseen this? Sounds like a laywer taking advantage of the situation to line their pockets. Your thoughts? 

http://news.yahoo.com/claim-seeks-100-million-child-survivor-connecticut-school-003646074.html

Claim seeks $100 million for child survivor of Connecticut school shooting

MERIDEN, Connecticut (Reuters) - A $100 million claim on behalf of a 6-year-old survivor is the first legal action to come out of the Connecticut school shooting that left 26 children and adults dead two weeks ago.

The unidentified client, referred to as Jill Doe, heard "cursing, screaming, and shooting" over the school intercom when the gunman, 20-year-old Adam Lanza, opened fire, according to the claim filed by New Haven-based attorney Irv Pinsky.

"As a consequence, the ... child has sustained emotional and psychological trauma and injury, the nature and extent of which are yet to be determined," the claim said.

Pinsky said he filed a claim on Thursday with state Claims Commissioner J. Paul Vance Jr., whose office must give permission before a lawsuit can be filed against the state.

"We all know its going to happen again," Pinsky said on Friday. "Society has to take action."

Twenty children and six adults were shot dead on December 14 at the Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Connecticut. The children were all 6 and 7 years old.

Pinsky's claim said that the state Board of EducationDepartment of Education and Education Commissioner had failed to take appropriate steps to protect children from "foreseeable harm."

It said they had failed to provide a "safe school setting" or design "an effective student safety emergency response plan and protocol."

Pinsky said he was approached by the child's parents within a week of the shooting.

The shooting, which also left the gunman dead, has prompted extensive debate about gun control and the suggestion by the National Rifle Association that schools be patrolled by armed guards. Police have said the gunman killed his mother at their home in Newtown before going to the school.

by on Dec. 28, 2012 at 11:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
gammie
by on Dec. 28, 2012 at 11:23 PM

$100, million that is crazy! The school did everything they could so she may lose?

TranquilMind
by Platinum Member on Dec. 28, 2012 at 11:27 PM
1 mom liked this

Oh, for goodness sakes.  100 million?  What exactly was the Board of education supposed to do, arm every single school? 

This was no more "foreseeable" than any explosion or car crash is foreseeable. 

This is a political statement by a knee jerk liberal, nothing more.

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Dec. 28, 2012 at 11:29 PM
11 moms liked this

This makes me sick to my stomach.

That child is alive.

The parents of this child should be ashamed of themselves.

Seems they found themselves a dignified lawyer.

NWP
by guerrilla girl on Dec. 28, 2012 at 11:29 PM

Any idiot with a retainer fee can file a lawsuit. SMH

yourspecialkid
by Platinum Member on Dec. 28, 2012 at 11:39 PM
2 moms liked this

Wow...that is just what the schools need...another 100 million out of an already struggling budget.

I don't see what more the school could have done...the doors were locked...he literally broke in!

turtle68
by Mahinaarangi on Dec. 28, 2012 at 11:42 PM
4 moms liked this

wow...how disgusting.  I feel for that little child but how do parents make this decision without spitting on the kids that died?

lga1965
by on Dec. 28, 2012 at 11:48 PM
That is just grossly unfair to sue the school. Disgusting.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mommy_of_Riley
by Jes on Dec. 28, 2012 at 11:50 PM
1 mom liked this
"We all know its going to happen again," Pinsky said on Friday. "Society has to take action."

Because 100 million will solve all the world's problems and totally make criminals stop shooting people...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mommy_of_Riley
by Jes on Dec. 28, 2012 at 11:51 PM
6 moms liked this
I think the parents should be happy their child is alive.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
annabl1970
by Platinum Member on Dec. 28, 2012 at 11:52 PM
1 mom liked this
At first I thought it was on behalf of the victims. Now I see it is for one surviving child. I am happy he is alive, I really believe he traumatized and will need psychological/medical care. But it's too soon and amount is too high. Where the school will get that kind of money? Greed is not a good adviser.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)