Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Cancer patient riding his Harley as far as bike, body will take him

Posted by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 2:07 AM
  • 12 Replies
1 mom liked this

by TERESA WOODARD

WFAA

Posted on December 27, 2012 at 10:35 PM

Updated today at 10:23 PM

DALLAS -- When his Harley Davidson cranks on, sure, it's loud. But to Paul Jordan, it's a lullaby; the peaceful sound of peace of mind.

"These are my wings, these are my wheels," Jordan said with a smile. "If it's time to go, I'm gonna have some fun, you know."

He is remarkably content for a man facing death.

"I'm terminal, I'm done -- it's over, clinically," he said, in a matter-of-fact way, "but y'know, it was supposed to be over 14 months ago. They gave me three-to-six weeks to live, and it's been 15 months now. I never was on time, why start now?"

He can joke about his diagnosis now, but when it came, he was nothing short of stunned.

Jordan is originally from Dallas, but in November 2011, he was working as the executive sous chef at Galveston's famous Hotel Galvez. Excruciating pain sent him to the hospital and it took several days for doctors to find the source. Jordan had stage-four pancreatic cancer.

"When I got my diagnosis, I lay in the hospital bed just floored. I had no idea. I'm 52 and this isn't supposed to happen," he recalled. "But one of the ways I got through that night was a bucket list."

"I wanted to buy a bike and go down the road, y'know," Jordan concluded.

He found serenity sitting on his Harley.

Jordan left Dallas Thursday on what he knows may be his final ride. He named it "Chef Paul's Bucket Ride for Pancreatic Cancer."

Dallas Harley Davidson helped outfit his bike to keep him safe and warm on the journey. He has a new windshield to fight the cold wind, a new headlight, and packs and bags to hold pills and bottles.

"I know that when he went to his doctor, his doctor said he should prescribe Harley Davidsons to everyone, because it made him vibrant," said Kristin Draves of Dallas Harley Davidson.

His first stop was to be Galveston for a large fundraiser this weekend. Then he's planning to travel to Florida, and maybe even further if his body allows.

There are benefits scheduled all along the way, but none of the donations are for him.

"None of this goes to me," he said. "I'm not raising a dime, even though I'm out of money and have no treatment. Cobra dropped me, Medicare, Medicaid won't pick me up."

"This is all for research," he said, "so that those coming along behind me have a little better chance."

Jordan is updating his blog and his Facebook page along his journey, and he's also taking donations online.

"The treatment of cancer, I truly believe, is 90 percent your heart and head. Heart and soul. Ten percent is this little guy," he said, pointing to a port under his skin, "where they put the medicine in. This ten percent won't work without the 90, the 90 won't without the ten. It has to come together."

E-mail twoodard@wfaa.com

by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 2:07 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
glitterteaz
by Ruby Member on Dec. 29, 2012 at 3:28 AM

BUMP!

dustinsmom1
by JENN on Dec. 29, 2012 at 9:13 AM

Very cool, if ever get diagnosed (god forbid) w/ anything but the most benign cancer, i will not seek treatment. I will continue to live my life and manage w/ pain meds towards the end. The "life saving" cancer treatments killed my Mother, more slowly and painfully then cancer ever could.

ShadowLark
by Bronze Member on Dec. 29, 2012 at 9:17 AM
1 mom liked this
SO cool! Love that guy's spirit!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
hopealways4019
by Silver Member on Dec. 29, 2012 at 9:28 AM
2 moms liked this
He is so brave! Bless his heart, my son died from cancer this summer. This boy couldn't stop smiling. Rip Garrison
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Euphoric
by Bazinga! on Dec. 29, 2012 at 9:47 AM
1 mom liked this
Awesome.
irishgal63
by Member on Dec. 29, 2012 at 11:29 AM

I  hope  that  Paul  has  MANY  more  rides  on  his  harley  AND  lives  to  be  100   !

(some  meds  work, &  some  cause  more  trouble  than  they're  worth) .

glitterteaz
by Ruby Member on Dec. 29, 2012 at 3:36 PM
1 mom liked this

sorry for your loss.

Quoting hopealways4019:

He is so brave! Bless his heart, my son died from cancer this summer. This boy couldn't stop smiling. Rip Garrison

TCgirlatheart
by TC on Dec. 29, 2012 at 3:43 PM
1 mom liked this
I'm so sorry for your loss. ((Hugs))

Quoting hopealways4019:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
survivorinohio
by René on Dec. 29, 2012 at 4:29 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting hopealways4019:

((((HUGS)))) mama.  Cancer sucks:(

How far you go in life depends on your being: tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of both the weak and strong.  Because someday in life you would have been one or all of these.  GeorgeWashingtonCarver

shadenn766
by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 5:46 PM
1 mom liked this

ride in the wind all you want...god bless

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)