Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Netflix to share viewers' histories......Congress approved

Posted by   + Show Post

I just came across this and am looking for more information, because this is news to me. I should think Netflix would have to tell its customers. While I don't give two figs if people know what I watch, I think this is crossing a line, and it may just be the line that ends my affiliation with Netflix....

File photo of a Netflix envelope in front of a television (© Charles Krupa/AP)

Netflix can now tell everyone about the cheesy movies you watch

8 hrs ago

Be careful what you watch on Netflix because the video streaming service has received the OK from Congress to share your viewing habits. Laws previously required users or renters to give an OK each time a provider wanted to share the information, but the new change in the law will allow Netflix to share what you've seen after only asking you once - and they won't have to ask again for two years. So while your queue might be full of high-brow documentaries and the like, if you aren't careful everyone will soon know you really watch "The Vampire Diaries" over and over. [Source]

Click to see more on msnNOW.com, updated 24 hours a day.

by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 8:28 AM
Replies (11-20):
Euphoric
by Bazinga! on Dec. 29, 2012 at 10:24 AM

Eek creepy. I've never had Netflix, and now I'm glad I don't.

nysa76
by Silver Member on Dec. 29, 2012 at 10:38 AM

If what I'm reading is accurate, it says they must ask you once every 2 years.  The difference is that they use to have to ask each time.  Simply answering no when they ask seems a simple enough task.  I'm not really concerned about it.

katy_kay08
by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 11:11 AM

The bill is less than a page long and is quite clear in what it is allowing.  The request for approval must be in a distinct and separate form from it's TOS and at any time the consumer can revoke the approval.  

http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/BILLS-112hr6671enr/pdf/BILLS-112hr6671enr.pdf

Mommy_of_Riley
by Jes on Dec. 29, 2012 at 12:11 PM
They have to ask permission. If you click yes then that gives them permission to share info for 2 years. If you click no, no sharing.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mommy_of_Riley
by Jes on Dec. 29, 2012 at 12:12 PM
1 mom liked this
Geez people... Just click no.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TruthSeeker.
by Milami on Dec. 29, 2012 at 12:43 PM

Just put your account under a random email that does not have your name on it. Problem solved:)

I'm curious, but who are they going to share your views with? I'm sure my friends already know I'm obsessed with Greys Anatomy and have watched all 7 seasons 3 times now. lol

katy_kay08
by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 12:46 PM

They want to have the functionality to "share" it on FB like many of the other sources that share the things you are doing there.  

So it could possibly say "Truth is watching My Pretty Pony" via Netflix.  

Their thought is someone will go "Oh, I didn't know I could get MPP on Netflix" and run off to create an account.  

Quoting TruthSeeker.:

Just put your account under a random email that does not have your name on it. Problem solved:)

I'm curious, but who are they going to share your views with? I'm sure my friends already know I'm obsessed with Greys Anatomy and have watched all 7 seasons 3 times now. lol

cjsbmom
by Lois Lane on Dec. 29, 2012 at 12:49 PM

Apparently, Facebook is one of them. Ever see those "so and so just listened to ** on Spotify" notices on your wall? It'd be like that. Every time you watched something, all your friends on FB would see a notice like that.

But that's not the only way they're allowed to share it. It says share with anyone who asks to see it. So to me, that's anyone in the world. And why would anyone else give two shits about what we're watching on Netflix? I don't trust them,and feel this privilege will be abused. This is the company that didn't see fit to tell its subscribers that it was losing its Starz license, and that it was raising its rates, and that it would separate it's DVD and streaming services. We had to hear about it in the media. Netflix isn't known for being good at communicating with its customers.

Quoting TruthSeeker.:

cjsbmom
by Lois Lane on Dec. 29, 2012 at 12:51 PM

It's not just exclusive to Facebook. It says they can share the information with anyone who requests it. Do you want to be used by some advertising agency to make money without your consent or being compensated for it?

Quoting katy_kay08:

They want to have the functionality to "share" it on FB like many of the other sources that share the things you are doing there.  

So it could possibly say "Truth is watching My Pretty Pony" via Netflix.  

Their thought is someone will go "Oh, I didn't know I could get MPP on Netflix" and run off to create an account.  

Quoting TruthSeeker.:

TruthSeeker.
by Milami on Dec. 29, 2012 at 12:51 PM

How can they link it to my facebook if I use a different email?

Quoting cjsbmom:

Apparently, Facebook is one of them. Ever see those "so and so just listened to ** on Spotify" notices on your wall? It'd be like that. Every time you watched something, all your friends on FB would see a notice like that.

But that's not the only way they're allowed to share it. It says share with anyone who asks to see it. So to me, that's anyone in the world. And why would anyone else give two shits about what we're watching on Netflix? I don't trust them,and feel this privilege will be abused. This is the company that didn't see fit to tell its subscribers that it was losing its Starz license, and that it was raising its rates, and that it would separate it's DVD and streaming services. We had to hear about it in the media. Netflix isn't known for being good at communicating with its customers.

Quoting TruthSeeker.:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN