Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Netflix to share viewers' histories......Congress approved

Posted by   + Show Post

I just came across this and am looking for more information, because this is news to me. I should think Netflix would have to tell its customers. While I don't give two figs if people know what I watch, I think this is crossing a line, and it may just be the line that ends my affiliation with Netflix....

File photo of a Netflix envelope in front of a television (© Charles Krupa/AP)

Netflix can now tell everyone about the cheesy movies you watch

8 hrs ago

Be careful what you watch on Netflix because the video streaming service has received the OK from Congress to share your viewing habits. Laws previously required users or renters to give an OK each time a provider wanted to share the information, but the new change in the law will allow Netflix to share what you've seen after only asking you once - and they won't have to ask again for two years. So while your queue might be full of high-brow documentaries and the like, if you aren't careful everyone will soon know you really watch "The Vampire Diaries" over and over. [Source]

Click to see more on msnNOW.com, updated 24 hours a day.

by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 8:28 AM
Replies (21-30):
TruthSeeker.
by Milami on Dec. 29, 2012 at 12:52 PM

LOL. My 7 yr old actually does watch My Little Pony on my Netflix account.

Quoting katy_kay08:

They want to have the functionality to "share" it on FB like many of the other sources that share the things you are doing there.  

So it could possibly say "Truth is watching My Pretty Pony" via Netflix.  

Their thought is someone will go "Oh, I didn't know I could get MPP on Netflix" and run off to create an account.  

Quoting TruthSeeker.:

Just put your account under a random email that does not have your name on it. Problem solved:)

I'm curious, but who are they going to share your views with? I'm sure my friends already know I'm obsessed with Greys Anatomy and have watched all 7 seasons 3 times now. lol

JanuaryBaby06
by Bronze Member on Dec. 29, 2012 at 12:55 PM

yeah, i think i will be done with netflix.

katy_kay08
by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 12:59 PM

They have to be clear in their request for approval and the consumer has the option to say 'no' at the time as well as remove consent if they decide they no longer what the information shared.  

We are already "used" by advertising agencies without compensation or our consent and the fact that I can say "no" when Netflix asks if I want to share that I'm watching Sonic the Hedgehog for the 15th time shows me this is really not the paranoid "big brother" issue that "hard hitting" sites like Jezebel would like me to believe it is.  I mean this and Martha Stewart using YOLO.  The world is ENDING!

Quoting cjsbmom:

It's not just exclusive to Facebook. It says they can share the information with anyone who requests it. Do you want to be used by some advertising agency to make money without your consent or being compensated for it?

Quoting katy_kay08:

They want to have the functionality to "share" it on FB like many of the other sources that share the things you are doing there.  

Their thought is someone will go "Oh, I didn't know I could get MPP on Netflix" and run off to create an account.  

Quoting TruthSeeker.:

Just put your account under a random email that does not have your name on it. Problem solved:)

I'm curious, but who are they going to share your views with? I'm sure my friends already know I'm obsessed with Greys Anatomy and have watched all 7 seasons 3 times now. lol

katy_kay08
by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 1:05 PM

The only thing the amendment changed was to incorporate that the consent could be obtained over the internet as well as to outline how said consent must be presented to the consumer, the duration of time the approval can last and how the consumer can revoke said approval.  

Here is the current wording.  

http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/2710

2) A video tape service provider may disclose personally identifiable information concerning any consumer—

(A) to the consumer;
(B) to any person with the informed, written consent of the consumer given at the time the disclosure is sought;
(C) to a law enforcement agency pursuant to a warrant issued under the Federal Rules of Criminal Procedure, an equivalent State warrant, a grand jury subpoena, or a court order;
(D) to any person if the disclosure is solely of the names and addresses of consumers and if—
(i) the video tape service provider has provided the consumer with the opportunity, in a clear and conspicuous manner, to prohibit such disclosure; and
(ii) the disclosure does not identify the title, description, or subject matter of any video tapes or other audio visual material; however, the subject matter of such materials may be disclosed if the disclosure is for the exclusive use of marketing goods and services directly to the consumer;
(E) to any person if the disclosure is incident to the ordinary course of business of the video tape service provider; or
(F) pursuant to a court order, in a civil proceeding upon a showing of compelling need for the information that cannot be accommodated by any other means, if—
(i) the consumer is given reasonable notice, by the person seeking the disclosure, of the court proceeding relevant to the issuance of the court order; and
(ii) the consumer is afforded the opportunity to appear and contest the claim of the person seeking the disclosure.

--------

text of the changes approved this week

SECTION 1. AMENDMENT.

Section 2710(b)(2) of title 18, United States Code, is amended by striking subparagraph (B) and inserting the following:

‘(B) to any person with the informed, written consent (including through an electronic means using the Internet) in a form distinct and separate from any form setting forth other legal or financial obligations of the consumer given at one or both of the following times--

‘(i) the time the disclosure is sought; and

‘(ii) in advance for a set period of time or until consent is withdrawn by such consumer;’.

survivorinohio
by René on Dec. 29, 2012 at 1:24 PM

I dont care if they tell the world we watch curious george a lot.

cjsbmom
by Lois Lane on Dec. 29, 2012 at 1:33 PM

After two years. You cannot object in the middle of the two-year agreement to share your information. At least that's the way I'm reading it.

Quoting katy_kay08:

They have to be clear in their request for approval and the consumer has the option to say 'no' at the time as well as remove consent if they decide they no longer what the information shared.  

We are already "used" by advertising agencies without compensation or our consent and the fact that I can say "no" when Netflix asks if I want to share that I'm watching Sonic the Hedgehog for the 15th time shows me this is really not the paranoid "big brother" issue that "hard hitting" sites like Jezebel would like me to believe it is.  I mean this and Martha Stewart using YOLO.  The world is ENDING!

Quoting cjsbmom:

It's not just exclusive to Facebook. It says they can share the information with anyone who requests it. Do you want to be used by some advertising agency to make money without your consent or being compensated for it?

Quoting katy_kay08:

Quoting TruthSeeker.:

The_Doodle
by Member on Dec. 29, 2012 at 1:37 PM

Eh. This doesn't bother me.

katy_kay08
by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 1:38 PM

it can be revoked at any time.  The "two year" is the maximum amount of time the consent can last, it doesn't mean it cannot be revoked before it.  The bill is quite clear on that so I'm not sure what you are reading.  

From the bill

‘‘(II) is given in advance for a set period of time, 

not to exceed 2 years or until consent is withdrawn 

by the consumer, whichever is sooner; and 

‘‘(iii) the video tape service provider has provided an 

opportunity, in a clear and conspicuous manner, for the 

consumer to withdraw on a case-by-case basis or to withdraw from ongoing disclosures, at the consumer’s election;’’.

Quoting cjsbmom:

After two years. You cannot object in the middle of the two-year agreement to share your information. At least that's the way I'm reading it.

Quoting katy_kay08:

Quoting cjsbmom:

Quoting katy_kay08:

Quoting TruthSeeker.:

Arroree
by Ruby Member on Dec. 29, 2012 at 1:41 PM

Quoting cjsbmom:

Quoting jakesmom323:

Oh no, they will find out I watched straight to DVD movies, flops, and cartoons!!! Eeeks! The shame...;)

I think this goes beyond them sharing it with Facebook. The language says they can share it with *anyone* and I'm assuming that means the government as well. Is this the government's way of spying on its citizens (and what they watch) without obtaining a warrant to do so? Makes me wonder.

Like you, I watch boring stuff and my kid mostly watches cartoons on there. But still....it's no one's business. Netflix isn't a free service, so they can't say that it comes with the territory of using a free service.

The reality is that every cable and satelite company does this already, this would be no different. This is how the producers and networks find out which shows have the most viewers/are the most popular.

Healthystart30
by Silver Member on Dec. 29, 2012 at 1:48 PM
Everything we do is stored! It's crazy! When I was pregnant enfamil sent me coupons and mail every month and I have no idea how they knew I was pregnant!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN