Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Netflix to share viewers' histories......Congress approved

Posted by   + Show Post

I just came across this and am looking for more information, because this is news to me. I should think Netflix would have to tell its customers. While I don't give two figs if people know what I watch, I think this is crossing a line, and it may just be the line that ends my affiliation with Netflix....

File photo of a Netflix envelope in front of a television (© Charles Krupa/AP)

Netflix can now tell everyone about the cheesy movies you watch

8 hrs ago

Be careful what you watch on Netflix because the video streaming service has received the OK from Congress to share your viewing habits. Laws previously required users or renters to give an OK each time a provider wanted to share the information, but the new change in the law will allow Netflix to share what you've seen after only asking you once - and they won't have to ask again for two years. So while your queue might be full of high-brow documentaries and the like, if you aren't careful everyone will soon know you really watch "The Vampire Diaries" over and over. [Source]

Click to see more on msnNOW.com, updated 24 hours a day.

by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 8:28 AM
Replies (31-40):
wickedfiress
by Kellie on Dec. 29, 2012 at 3:14 PM
I don't really care if someone knows I'm watching a nerdy fantasy or sci-fi show. If they know me, they already know im a huge dork, and chances are they watch it too! Lol
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Tish_Hughes
by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 3:27 PM

Now people will know that I watch slasher movies and Oscar's Oasis all day, everyday.

caito
by Silver Member on Dec. 29, 2012 at 4:31 PM

Lol I don't care if anyone knows if I watch TVD, I love that show :D

But I don't understand *why*. What purpose does it serve? Why does anyone give a shit?

meriana
by Platinum Member on Dec. 29, 2012 at 4:45 PM

Just one more reason NOT to deal with Netflix. We did try them for a bit awhile back but had them send us DVD's...about the third time we got one that was unwatchable due to it's having been damaged (one actually had a large crack in it), we stopped dealing with them. It just wasn't worth the aggrevation of looking foward to a movie only to find the DVD was damaged and unwatchable and I don't like streaming movies to my computer..that's what the T.V is for. If we want to watch a movie we just wait for it to show up on a movie station or we purchase it

cjsbmom
by Lois Lane on Dec. 29, 2012 at 5:11 PM

Meh, I just think it's more oversharing that I don't need. I don't give two shits what you watched on Netflix, and don't really want my newsfeed on FB clogged with that stuff. It's just one more example of oversharing in today's world.

1Giovanni
by Becca on Dec. 29, 2012 at 5:45 PM

I think this has to do with something else... A few months ago or maybe even a year or more ago...they started a program in other countries for you to share your stuff on facebook or something like that. If was against the law here, so know they finally passed it. I don't think it has to do with spying.

Let me see if I can find more info on it.

notuseless
by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 5:50 PM

nnooooooo now everyone will know i watch Thomas the train and my little ponies oooohhhh the shame!!!

katy_kay08
by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 5:52 PM
1 mom liked this

that's exactly what it is about and the law isn't specific to netflix.  Essentially all the other types of companies and applications people use on FB are able to get online consent whereas the Video Rental law (forgot the actual name) had not been updated to reflect the new ways people share and obtain information and required it be done in writing.  

Quoting 1Giovanni:

I think this has to do with something else... A few months ago or maybe even a year or more ago...they started a program in other countries for you to share your stuff on facebook or something like that. If was against the law here, so know they finally passed it. I don't think it has to do with spying.

Let me see if I can find more info on it.

katy_kay08
by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 5:52 PM

that's why you have the ability to control what you see from your friends.  You control the "clog". 

Quoting cjsbmom:

Meh, I just think it's more oversharing that I don't need. I don't give two shits what you watched on Netflix, and don't really want my newsfeed on FB clogged with that stuff. It's just one more example of oversharing in today's world.

mehamil1
by Platinum Member on Dec. 29, 2012 at 5:55 PM

I got nothing to hide. Fine. Let everyone know my stupid love of Bollywood musicals and B Science Fiction movies. Also my undying love for Anna and the King. Gonna judge me on how many times I've watched Ever After? Screw you assholes. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN