Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Netflix to share viewers' histories......Congress approved

Posted by   + Show Post

I just came across this and am looking for more information, because this is news to me. I should think Netflix would have to tell its customers. While I don't give two figs if people know what I watch, I think this is crossing a line, and it may just be the line that ends my affiliation with Netflix....

File photo of a Netflix envelope in front of a television (© Charles Krupa/AP)

Netflix can now tell everyone about the cheesy movies you watch

8 hrs ago

Be careful what you watch on Netflix because the video streaming service has received the OK from Congress to share your viewing habits. Laws previously required users or renters to give an OK each time a provider wanted to share the information, but the new change in the law will allow Netflix to share what you've seen after only asking you once - and they won't have to ask again for two years. So while your queue might be full of high-brow documentaries and the like, if you aren't careful everyone will soon know you really watch "The Vampire Diaries" over and over. [Source]

Click to see more on msnNOW.com, updated 24 hours a day.

by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 8:28 AM
Replies (41-46):
Luv.My.Kidz
by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 5:56 PM

Glad I got rid of Netflix..... it was starting to weed out the good movies anyways. It's not worth the money.

ms-superwoman
by Silver Member on Dec. 29, 2012 at 6:01 PM
Lmfao I highly doubt the government gives a rats ass about what you are watching. This is an easy fix, simply select no. And/or don't link your accounts.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cjsbmom
by Lois Lane on Dec. 29, 2012 at 7:18 PM

But why do people even want to share that stuff? Really? I don't think all my friends really care what I'm watching, just like they probably don't care that I'm now making dinner. Yanno what I mean?

Quoting katy_kay08:

that's why you have the ability to control what you see from your friends.  You control the "clog". 

Quoting cjsbmom:

Meh, I just think it's more oversharing that I don't need. I don't give two shits what you watched on Netflix, and don't really want my newsfeed on FB clogged with that stuff. It's just one more example of oversharing in today's world.

LovemyQ
by Bronze Member on Dec. 29, 2012 at 8:55 PM

Oh, ok. that is something I would be comfortable with.

Quoting katy_kay08:

The bill is less than a page long and is quite clear in what it is allowing.  The request for approval must be in a distinct and separate form from it's TOS and at any time the consumer can revoke the approval.  

http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/BILLS-112hr6671enr/pdf/BILLS-112hr6671enr.pdf

glitterteaz
by Ruby Member on Dec. 29, 2012 at 11:41 PM

It states they ask you once every two years if they can share. So...just say no! easy peasy!

stormcris
by Christy on Dec. 30, 2012 at 2:47 AM

Wow their subscribers must be way down to pull this free advertising ploy that is usually something a start up would do.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured