Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Pizza Hut Demotes Delivery Man, Sam Swicegood, for Defending Himself Against Attackers

Posted by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 5:20 PM
  • 19 Replies

Pizza Hut Demotes Delivery Man for Defending Himself Against Attackers

Protect yourself from attackers and receive … a demotion? A pizza delivery man in Maryland who fought off a group of attackers was given just that. Sam Swicegood was demoted from his job at Pizza Hut after he defended himself from being beaten up.

Swicegood described being sucker punched, after which defended himself by covering his face and swinging a small pole at them repeatedly. “I thought that I was about to die,” he said.

Pizza Hut cut his hours and his pay for violating their no weapons policy.

Poor guy. honestly, what was he suppose to do?

by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 5:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
futureshock
by Ruby Member on Dec. 29, 2012 at 5:23 PM
2 moms liked this

That is crazy and outrageously unfair.

ramonafrog
by Bronze Member on Dec. 29, 2012 at 5:43 PM

I agree.

Quoting futureshock:

That is crazy and outrageously unfair.

katy_kay08
by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 5:44 PM

what exactly is a demotion from pizza delivery guy?  

ramonafrog
by Bronze Member on Dec. 29, 2012 at 5:45 PM

they cut his hours and pay

Quoting katy_kay08:

what exactly is a demotion from pizza delivery guy?  

katy_kay08
by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 5:47 PM

so was the pole something he was carrying around on him prior to the attack?  

that does seem like a ridiculous reaction to his attack.  

ramonafrog
by Bronze Member on Dec. 29, 2012 at 5:49 PM

the article doesn't say...there is a news clip below the story. haven't been able to watch...will do now

eta, news story doesn't provide that info

Quoting katy_kay08:

so was the pole something he was carrying around on him prior to the attack?  

audreesmama
by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 5:49 PM
1 mom liked this

I was an area manager for pizza hut for years and I wil NEVER EVER work for them again. Screwy company, women are grossly underpaid, there's so much damn shady business going on and the "upper management" run the company as much as my kids can drive cars. It's terrible. 

This does not surprise me at all.

Godgaveme4
by Platinum Member on Dec. 29, 2012 at 5:52 PM

Anything can be used as a weapon to defend yourself.  I guess Pizza Hut just wants people to lay back and take it.

Farmlady09
by Silver Member on Dec. 29, 2012 at 6:08 PM
1 mom liked this

Sorry, but the boss would get told to find himself another driver if it had been me ~ and might earn the honor of being the first person I ever sued. To be honest, the policy itself is one that I'd never agree to. No employer has a right to tell me I should be injured or just get dead to make some criminal happy. The manager could go deliver his own darn pizzas.

It's one thing if an employee deliberately picks a fight, but allowing a group of people to beat on you is the most ridiculous policy any employer ever came up with. Sure, hand them the money ... but if the little thugs aren't satisfied with that a person has every right to defend themselves. The only way to change such stupidity is for every prospective employee to refuse to agree to that, or for people who don't to look for work elsewhere.

supermomz25
by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 6:17 PM

wtf?! I suppose it would have been better if had been beaten to death. that is ridiculous.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)