Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

What makes your state great?

Posted by on Dec. 30, 2012 at 1:01 PM
  • 61 Replies

I am always looking around and seeing how people talk about the US in general.  I can say that I have lived in many places throughout the US and those places really vary when it comes to their views on politics and current events.  I grew up in the Bible Belt of Missouri but now live in Vermont.  I can say that given my view of the world I fit in Vermont much more than Missouri lol.

So what makes my state of Vermont great to me?  Here is my list

They turned down the NLCB waiver which would have made public education corporate

The are paving the way for Universal Healthcare

My state doesn't have party registration and holds open primaries

We are very environmentally conscious people (we also have the cleanest lake in the nation, Lake Champlain).

We are looking for alternative energy and are placing windmills throughout the state so as to stop relying on nuclear and coal energy

Anyone here can carry a concealed weapon (I am very much pro-gun)

Vermont residents demand that we know about GMO's in our food. Additionally we are also a pro-Buy Local state. 

The state appears to be liberal when it comes to Presidential elections but for the most part we are an even split.  Many in the state know that the middle is where we want to be, not extreme left or right.

Gay Marriage is legal here

Pot for medical use is legal here and we are currently working to completely legalize MJ.

Oh and it is beautiful!

That is all I can think of right now.

So do you fit into your state?  What makes your state great?

by on Dec. 30, 2012 at 1:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
NWP
by guerrilla girl on Dec. 30, 2012 at 1:19 PM

I moved here a little over a year ago and am still figuring that out. I don't know much about my new state in general, but I LOVE my city! It is famous for the beautiful architecture, parks and history, one famous transexual and one woman who loves butter. I just wish we had a better foodie culture here.

As for my state, I was pleasantly surprised that it was less red overall than I thought it would be. Obama only lost by 7 points. With the increase in minority voting, we may be a swing state in the next election.

One can only hope!

blues_pagan
by on Dec. 30, 2012 at 1:20 PM

Oh yeah, we are total foodies up here.  I love that.  But then there is nothing better to do than eat during the winter months lol.

Quoting NWP:

I moved here a little over a year ago and am still figuring that out. I don't know much about my new state in general, but I LOVE my city! It is famous for the beautiful architecture, parks and history, one famous transexual and one woman who loves butter. I just wish we had a better foodie culture here.

As for my state, I was pleasantly surprised that it was less red overall than I thought it would be. Obama only lost by 7 points. With the increase in minority voting, we may be a swing state in the next election.

One can only hope!

Sisteract
by Whoopie on Dec. 30, 2012 at 1:25 PM
2 moms liked this

The weather. Snow if you want it- or not if you do not.

Diversity and acceptance.

The variety: mountains, valleys, deserts, ocean-

Respect for the planet

Live and let live attitude.

Fertile soil and great, fresh, healthy food, right from the source.

A state that values people over things-

blues_pagan
by on Dec. 30, 2012 at 1:26 PM

Sorry just had to post this :)

Sisteract
by Whoopie on Dec. 30, 2012 at 1:31 PM

I love Vermont- Very quaint and beautiful!

christina0607
by on Dec. 30, 2012 at 2:23 PM
1 mom liked this
I live in Massachusetts.... smartest state in the nation. I love it here for the history, seasons, beauty and culture.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
SRUsarahSC
by Bronze Member on Dec. 30, 2012 at 2:24 PM

Love mine for the coastline and the rich, long, and complicated history.

owl0210
by Bronze Member on Dec. 30, 2012 at 2:27 PM

This

Quoting christina0607:

I live in Massachusetts.... smartest state in the nation. I love it here for the history, seasons, beauty and culture.

TCgirlatheart
by TC on Dec. 30, 2012 at 3:24 PM
2 moms liked this
Seasons, lakes, tons if indoor and outdoor activities, pretty good school systems with affordable housing, an awesome state fair,"Minnesota nice", and me, if course. ;)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
autodidact
by Platinum Member on Dec. 30, 2012 at 3:36 PM
2 moms liked this

redwoods, the Paciifc, mountains, desert (if you like that sort of thing, I don't. Big Sur cliffs, rolling green hills, wide open spaces, San Francisco, Disneyland, some great universities, wonderful weather, Santa Cruz, BIg Sur, great architecture, the Grateful Dead, Dave Brubeck Quartet, Journey,The Doobie Brothers, Richie Valens, etc.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN