Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Senate outraged at having to work over the weekend

Posted by on Dec. 30, 2012 at 5:01 PM
  • 27 Replies

WASHINGTON (The Borowitz Report)—Howls of protest filled the halls of the U.S. Senate today as dozens of Senators expressed their outrage at having to work through the weekend to save the United States from financial Armageddon.

“We’re hearing a lot about the country plunging back into recession and millions of people being thrown out of work,” said Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Kentucky). “What we’re not hearing much about is how our Sunday is being completely and irrevocably ruined.”

Senator McConnell said that when President Obama called the Senate back to work on a budget deal this weekend, “At first I thought he was kidding. Not only have I never worked on a weekend, I’ve never met anyone who’s done such a damn fool thing.”

The Senate Minority Leader added that “if saving this country means working Saturday and Sunday, then I’m not sure this is a country worth saving.”

“Yes, I know that the fiscal cliff is a ticking time bomb that could destroy the U.S. economy for years to come and take the rest of the world with it,” he said. “I also know that Sunday is Week seventeen of the N.F.L. season and now I’m missing all my games.”

Mr. McConnell said that while “saving the nation may be important to be some people,” he worries that forcing the Senate to work on a weekend is setting a dangerous precedent.

“For years, people have run for Congress because they knew that serving here was synonymous with not working,” he said. “If that’s going to change all of a sudden, a lot of us are going to feel very betrayed.”

Read more: http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/borowitzreport/2012/12/senate-outraged-at-having-to-work-weekend-to-save-nation.html#ixzz2GZiYjLa3

Does this attitude make anyone else sick?

by on Dec. 30, 2012 at 5:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
terpmama
by Silver Member on Dec. 30, 2012 at 5:03 PM
2 moms liked this

Please tell me this is the onion!!!

Emilytrademark
by Bronze Member on Dec. 30, 2012 at 5:04 PM

Buncha hypocritical asshats right there.

BabyFruit Ticker
UpSheRises
by Platinum Member on Dec. 30, 2012 at 5:06 PM

I realize this is a joke but it it's kind of a double joke...calling what they do "work".

joshlor2
by on Dec. 30, 2012 at 5:06 PM
Military, amongst others, work weekends and holidays. So should the government.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
rfurlongg
by on Dec. 30, 2012 at 5:07 PM

Poor,poor, babies. My heartbreaks for them.

Had they been more productive when they should have been, they would not be there. 

I do feel for their families, particularly their children. I am sure they are missed at home.

miss_lisa
by on Dec. 30, 2012 at 5:08 PM
No, but the author is a comedian.

Quoting terpmama:

Claire-Huxtable
by on Dec. 30, 2012 at 5:10 PM
You do realize what the Borowitz Report is?
MeAndTommyLee
by Platinum Member on Dec. 30, 2012 at 5:11 PM

Boo Hoocrying

sweet-a-kins
by Emerald Member on Dec. 30, 2012 at 5:13 PM
Me too please!!

Quoting terpmama:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AllofFive19
by Bronze Member on Dec. 30, 2012 at 5:14 PM

I'd tell him to quit then.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN