Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Flu vax and got the flu anyway . . .?

Posted by on Dec. 30, 2012 at 11:06 PM
  • 76 Replies

Poll

Question: Get the flu shot, get the flu?

Options:

Never get the shot, never get the flu

never get the shot, seldom (every 5 yrs or less) get the flu

never get the shot, get the flu yearly, or every other

I always get the shot, never the flu

I always get the shot, seldom get the flu

I always get the shot, often (yearly or every other year) get the flu

other

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 96

View Results

More often than not I hear of someone getting the flu vax and getting the flu anyway.  Rarely if ever have I heard of someone say, "I wish I would have gott the flu vax, b/c that flu I had was horrible".

What about you - how often do you have the flu - yearly, every few years, never?  Do you get the flu vav?

My DH and myself and kids do NOT get the vax.  I honestly don't trust the vaccines and since this one is optional we opt out.  Plus they added the swine flu vax with the regular flu vac and weren't very forthcoming with that info - just seems shady.

DH and I may have had the flu when we were kids, but since we were teens we've never had it (we're 32 and 37). This year, however, my DH has it. Right now - and I'm hoping he doesn't share with the kids or I.  I don't feel like I'd feel safer if we had the vax since so many vaxed seem to get it anyway.

What about you?  Thoughts?

CafeMom Tickers

by on Dec. 30, 2012 at 11:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Courtney610
by Member on Dec. 30, 2012 at 11:14 PM
I've only had one flu shot. I did not get the flu that year. I have had it a few times, certainly not every year. It sucks, but I have a strong enough immune system to fight it off. I will continue to not get be flu shot. My kids don't get one either.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
weirdkids
by Member on Dec. 30, 2012 at 11:18 PM

the few times in my life that i have gotten the shot i got the flu anyway and it lasted longer. i just opt not to get it now. i also didnt get ds one this year either. last year he had one and got the flu the next day. i figured hes just gonna get it anyway why make him go through the extra shot.

stringtheory
by Gold Member on Dec. 30, 2012 at 11:19 PM
I get it every year, and have gotten the flu once since doing so. I do seem to get a head cold almost on cue a week after getting the vaccine, but never full blown flu.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
lga1965
by on Dec. 30, 2012 at 11:20 PM

I always get the flu vaccination and I never get the flu. My kids and grandkids also get the vaccine and no flu.

smalltowngal
by Platinum Member on Dec. 30, 2012 at 11:22 PM

I have never gotten the flu shot and I only got the flu once. It was when H1N1 was first making it's rounds and I got hit pretty hard with it along with my two kids.

Dawn4175
by Member on Dec. 30, 2012 at 11:24 PM
I have never had the vax or the flu. This year seems to be a terrible year for it though.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
OHgirlinCA
by Platinum Member on Dec. 30, 2012 at 11:25 PM
My family gets the flu shot every year. I've only gotten the flu once despite getting the shot, and it was more mild than what others went through. I didn't get the flu from the shot itself, but a few months afterwards.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LntLckrsCmQut
by on Dec. 30, 2012 at 11:26 PM

Many years ago, I was pretty religious about the flu shot. Every year I received it, I got the flu. Not right after I got the shot or anything, but I still ended up getting it and it wasn't a mild case either.

It's been quite a few years since I've had it and guess what? I haven't had the flu since. I won't say that getting the shot made me get the flu but vaccines weaken your immune system so you are are more likely to catch something.

We don't vaccinate as it is but flu shots are one of the dumbest vaccines made.

JCB911
by Bronze Member on Dec. 30, 2012 at 11:28 PM

Those of you who opt out of the shot - why?

For us we find it unecessary.  I guess I'll see if my DH opts in after this or not.

Around here everyone is saying it's just a quick 24 hour deal and then you're better. I'm hoping they are right.  And I'm hoping he stays quarentined to the bedroom like I've asked.

lga1965
by on Dec. 30, 2012 at 11:36 PM

Quoting LntLckrsCmQut:

Many years ago, I was pretty religious about the flu shot. Every year I received it, I got the flu. Not right after I got the shot or anything, but I still ended up getting it and it wasn't a mild case either.

It's been quite a few years since I've had it and guess what? I haven't had the flu since. I won't say that getting the shot made me get the flu but vaccines weaken your immune system so you are are more likely to catch something.

We don't vaccinate as it is but flu shots are one of the dumbest vaccines made.

Vaccines STRENGTHEN your immunity to diseases. The flu vaccine is harmless. All of the vaccinations save lives If you didn't have any vaccines, you would be vulnerable to everything. There is no way your own immune system will protect you from serious disesases, only from ordinary colds, but not polio, measles, mumps, etc.. Trust me. Don't listen to the Quacks.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)