Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Texas judge OKs ban on Planned Parenthood funding

Posted by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 3:00 PM
  • 159 Replies

Texas judge OKs ban on Planned Parenthood funding

Last edited Mon Dec 31, 2012, 02:14 PM USA/ET 

Source: Dallas Morning News

Published: 31 December 2012 12:21 PM 

AUSTIN, Texas (AP) — Texas may cut off funding to Planned Parenthood’s family planning programs for poor women, a state judge ruled Monday. 

Judge Gary Harger ruled that Texas may exclude otherwise qualified doctors and clinics from receiving state funding if they advocate for abortion rights, attorney general spokeswoman Lauren Bean said. 

“We are pleased the court rejected Planned Parenthood’s latest attempt to skirt state law,” Bean said. “The Texas Attorney General’s office will continue to defend the Texas Legislature’s decision to prohibit abortion providers and their affiliates from receiving taxpayer dollars through the Women’s Health Program.” 

Another hearing is scheduled with a different judge for Jan. 11, where Planned Parenthood will again ask for an injunction to receive state funding. 

Read more: http://www.dallasnews.com/news/state/headlines/20121231-texas-judge-oks-ban-on-planned-parenthood-funding.ece 
by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 3:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Sekirei
by Nari Trickster on Dec. 31, 2012 at 3:02 PM

See... Texas is not cool.. not cool at all

blues_pagan
by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 3:09 PM

Blah, hate that state.  Some of the people in it are ok but overall severe dislike for that state.

Arroree
by Ruby Member on Dec. 31, 2012 at 3:14 PM
10 moms liked this

I see, so the state with one of the highest amounts of low income women in need of cheap care is going to cut off access to that care. Which will in effect cause their rates of unwanted pregnancies to go UP, making it so that they have to pay MORE for things like Medicaid, food stamps, WIC, Welfare, etc, and the states around them will have higher rates of abortion from the women going out of state to get them.

Oh yeah, that makes TONS of sense...

Arroree
by Ruby Member on Dec. 31, 2012 at 3:16 PM
6 moms liked this

It also means that more women will have to go without necessary womens medical care and prevention, such as pap smears, STD checks and care, etc.

I guess the state just doesn't care about that sort of thing, after all they're just womens problems...

Bookwormy
by Platinum Member on Dec. 31, 2012 at 3:17 PM
1 mom liked this
I hate living in hell, I mean TX. TX is so darn backwards. Bunch of sexist idiot judges...
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Bookwormy
by Platinum Member on Dec. 31, 2012 at 3:18 PM
No, we really don't. Simply pathetic.

Quoting Arroree:

It also means that more women will have to go without necessary womens medical care and prevention, such as pap smears, STD checks and care, etc.

I guess the state just doesn't care about that sort of thing, after all they're just womens problems...

coupon_ash_back
by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 3:20 PM
It really is backwards. I will be happy to leave this overly conservative state.

Quoting Bookwormy:

I hate living in hell, I mean TX. TX is so darn backwards. Bunch of sexist idiot judges...
Bookwormy
by Platinum Member on Dec. 31, 2012 at 3:20 PM
We's rather they starve to death or die from lack of healthcare in TX. Backwards state I live in, I swear...

Quoting Arroree:

I see, so the state with one of the highest amounts of low income women in need of cheap care is going to cut off access to that care. Which will in effect cause their rates of unwanted pregnancies to go UP, making it so that they have to pay MORE for things like Medicaid, food stamps, WIC, Welfare, etc, and the states around them will have higher rates of abortion from the women going out of state to get them.

Oh yeah, that makes TONS of sense...

Bookwormy
by Platinum Member on Dec. 31, 2012 at 3:22 PM
We hope to move July 2014.

Quoting coupon_ash_back:

It really is backwards. I will be happy to leave this overly conservative state.

Quoting Bookwormy:

gludwig2000
by Gina on Dec. 31, 2012 at 3:28 PM

It is such a shame that poor women are being used to further someone else's agenda! Whether or not you believe in abortion, your beliefs should not doom someone to harm, which is what they are doing here because without these funds, poor women will not get the care some of them need.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN