Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

New Laws go in effect: a $3 per person tax for going to a strip club

Posted by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 7:59 PM
  • 58 Replies
1 mom liked this

New Laws Take Effect In Missouri & Illinois

Posted on: 5:46 pm, January 1, 2013, by 

ST. LOUIS, MO (KTVI) – There is a huge difference this year between Missouri and Illinois when it comes to the number of new laws going into effect January 1.  In Missouri, employees paid the minimum wage are getting a ten cents an hour raise to $7.35.

Meanwhile, in Illinois more than 150 new laws take effect in 2013. Among them, a $3 per person tax for going to a strip club. The money raised is supposed to fund counseling for victims of sexual violence.

In Illinois, it is also now illegal for an employer to ask for access to an employee`s social media account.

Another new Illinois law targets underage drinking by creating stricter penalties for parents who allow it at home or anyplace else they control.

The most curious new Illinois law makes illegal the sale, purchase or trade of shark fins.  It comes in response to the inhumane practice of cutting fins off live sharks and throwing the fish back into the ocean.  The fins are then sold to Asian restaurants which serve shark fin soup.

One other change happening January 1 in Missouri is not a new law, but an old law allowed to expire which had restricted access to government records about preventing terrorist attacks and structural plans for government buildings.

by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 7:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Jan. 1, 2013 at 8:02 PM
3 moms liked this

I'm not seeing one, mentioned above, that I really disagree with.

mehamil1
by Platinum Member on Jan. 1, 2013 at 8:09 PM

I live in Illinois. If I go into a job and they want access to my facebook, cafemom, and twitter accounts, I will tell them to go fuck themselves. 

I have a feeling that law will be challenged and it will hopefully be ruled unconstitutional. I have a right to privacy. Employers wanting to know I do/say on the internet is an invasion of privacy. 

Quoting FromAtoZ:

sweet-a-kins
by Emerald Member on Jan. 1, 2013 at 8:13 PM
1 mom liked this

a $3 per person tax for going to a strip club

lol

Claire-Huxtable
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 8:14 PM

You also don't have a right to a job with them if you want your stuff to be private.

Quoting mehamil1:

I live in Illinois. If I go into a job and they want access to my facebook, cafemom, and twitter accounts, I will tell them to go fuck themselves. 

I have a feeling that law will be challenged and it will hopefully be ruled unconstitutional. I have a right to privacy. Employers wanting to know I do/say on the internet is an invasion of privacy. 

Quoting FromAtoZ:

hockytwndhampyr
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 8:19 PM
Why would you want it ruled unconstitutional if the law is saying that it is illegal for them to ask for that information.

Quoting mehamil1:

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Jan. 1, 2013 at 8:22 PM

Quoting mehamil1:

Quoting FromAtoZ:

I thought I read that it is now illegal for an employer to ask for such access?

I would most certainly tell any one who dared ask for such a thing to screw off. I would not want to work for some one who would ask such a thing.

~*~Youth is when you're allowed to stay up late on New Year's Eve. Middle age is when you're forced to.~*~

bellaamore
by Bronze Member on Jan. 1, 2013 at 8:22 PM

How is it the patrons of the strip clubs responsibility to pay for treatment for victims of sexual violence? Did they violate them?

momtimesx4
by Silver Member on Jan. 1, 2013 at 8:28 PM

Government taking that $3 right out of the g-string of a single mom working her way through college.

momtimesx4
by Silver Member on Jan. 1, 2013 at 8:28 PM

No jobs to be had anyway

Quoting Claire-Huxtable:

You also don't have a right to a job with them if you want your stuff to be private.

Quoting mehamil1:

Quoting FromAtoZ:

cueballsmom
by Silver Member on Jan. 1, 2013 at 8:29 PM
Quoting Claire-Huxtable:

actually, you do. What you do in your house isn't your employers business, or what you do in the park. Online is the same thing.

Unless you are accessing it at work. That's a different story.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured