Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

House passes fiscal cliff package

Posted by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 11:11 PM
  • 20 Replies

http://news.yahoo.com/house-gives-final-passage-fiscal-cliff-bill-040430229--finance.html

WASHINGTON (AP) — Legislation to block the "fiscal cliff" is headed to the White House for President Barack Obama's signature. The bill will avoid, for now, the major tax increases and government spending cuts that had been scheduled to take effect with the new year.

Final approval came in the House on New Year's Night. The vote was 257 to 167.

The Senate passed the bill less than 24 hours earlier.

The measure raises tax rates on incomes over $400,000 for individuals and $450,000 for couples, a victory for Obama.

It also extends expiring unemployment benefits for the long-term jobless, prevents a cut in fees for doctors who treat Medicare patients and cancels a $900 pay increase due to lawmakers in March.

Another provision is designed to prevent a spike in milk prices.

RebeccaNYE-vi

by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 11:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
PurdueMom
by Sherri on Jan. 1, 2013 at 11:17 PM

Sweet.

Bookwormy
by Ruby Member on Jan. 1, 2013 at 11:19 PM
1 mom liked this

I was just about to post this myself.

IMO this is why they should have not extended tax cuts for those making $250K or more, as well as included spending cuts, FYI:

http://www.abc.go.com/: As lawmakers wrestled with the legislation, the non-partisan Congressional Budget Office estimated that the bill's added spending combined with the cost of extending tax cuts for those making under $400,000 would actually add $3.9 trillion to the deficit over the next 10 years. The Joint Committee on Taxation reached a similar conclusion.

However, we also needed the tax cuts for the rest of us.  & we needed milk prices to not go through the roof.  So I 'm glad that they passed something.

I wish that they hadn't waited until the last minute.  I wish that my partner's paycheck tomorrow weren't going to be so much lower because her employer had to assume that we were crashing off the cliff.  I hope my employer has time to to pay me properly next Friday.  THe majority of US voters seem to be holding Republicans responsible for this Fiscal liff debacle, as I do.  I hope that they remember this in the next 2 & 4 year elections, & even longer.

Hate Is NOT a Family Value.

survivorinohio
by René on Jan. 1, 2013 at 11:19 PM

Good

mustbeGRACE
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 11:26 PM

Democrats.

They've given up on life and are always looking around at other people's stuff.

sweet-a-kins
by Emerald Member on Jan. 1, 2013 at 11:27 PM
Congrats to the POTUS and the American people who won't have to pay $8 milk this week and our credit won't get down graded again
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sweet-a-kins
by Emerald Member on Jan. 1, 2013 at 11:27 PM
Republicans as well...they voted yes

Quoting mustbeGRACE:

Democrats.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
emeraldangel2.0
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 11:28 PM
1 mom liked this

i'm not even going to bother with that. i don't want it hijacking my notifications feed.

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

Quoting mustbeGRACE:

Democrats.

RebeccaNYE-vi

BellaMama7
by Member on Jan. 1, 2013 at 11:30 PM

so what does this mean exactly?

NWP
by guerrilla girl on Jan. 1, 2013 at 11:30 PM

Are you sharing your fortune cookie papers from the Conservative Stir Fry joint again?

Do you have anything to say about the actual subject? Or just want to say $hitty things about the side you don't like?

Quoting mustbeGRACE:

Democrats.

Naughty Wittle Puppy

sweet-a-kins
by Emerald Member on Jan. 1, 2013 at 11:31 PM
Ha! Lol

It amuses me anymore...especially since everything she is for is being shut down, voted against and other wiser LOST! Lol

Quoting emeraldangel2.0:

i'm not even going to bother with that. i don't want it hijacking my notifications feed.

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

Quoting mustbeGRACE:

Democrats.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)