Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Does this seem somehow wrong to anyone besides me?

Posted by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 6:05 AM
  • 29 Replies

The party we went to on New Years Eve, had an older couple with a down syndrome son.  The guy was 42 years old and he was getting drunk as hell.  I was told they take him to the bar and allow him to get drunk damn near every night.  For some reason it has been troubling me.

by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 6:05 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kiriis
by Member on Jan. 2, 2013 at 6:09 AM
Well, he is a grown man, I don't agree but it is their choice.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
romalove
by Roma on Jan. 2, 2013 at 6:31 AM

Down Syndrome presents differently in different people.  Some are much more mentally disabled than others are.  What is this man like when sober?  Is he mentally like a 5 year old, a 10 year old, a 15 year old....I think the answers might make me feel differently about them doing such a thing.

Do you know why they are having him drink so much?  Are they doing it on purpose or are they ignoring that he's drinking so much?

Carpy
by Ruby Member on Jan. 2, 2013 at 6:54 AM

He is about like a ten - twelve year old.

Quoting romalove:

Down Syndrome presents differently in different people.  Some are much more mentally disabled than others are.  What is this man like when sober?  Is he mentally like a 5 year old, a 10 year old, a 15 year old....I think the answers might make me feel differently about them doing such a thing.

Do you know why they are having him drink so much?  Are they doing it on purpose or are they ignoring that he's drinking so much?

Carpy
by Ruby Member on Jan. 2, 2013 at 6:55 AM

And they buy it for him.  They drink just as much.

meriana
by Platinum Member on Jan. 2, 2013 at 9:03 AM

Sounds to me like they are alcoholics who now have an alcoholic son. It's just as wrong for them as it would be for anyone else to encourage and enable another to become alcohol dependent.

Jmom4
by Member on Jan. 2, 2013 at 9:18 AM

Yes, I think it seems wrong too.

JoyfulinSD
by Member on Jan. 2, 2013 at 9:20 AM

well, because he has an issue, he's not allowed to have a life?Would you be offended if you found out he had a SO and was having sex?  would you allow him to have a pet?  Would it have been better if he walked up to the bar to get drunk instead of his parents driving him?

LaughingTattoo
by Member on Jan. 2, 2013 at 9:22 AM

Hes a grown man

TwinmomAlicia
by Member on Jan. 2, 2013 at 10:00 AM
The only reason it would concern me is that people with Down's often have related medical problems such as heart issues. Hopefully he is under the care of a doctor who would say something if the drinking was causing health problems.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Euphoric
by Bazinga! on Jan. 2, 2013 at 10:06 AM

I wonder why they would do that. It sounds like the parents are alcoholics, and may need help.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)