Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

15yr Old Shoots Would Be Burglars

Posted by   + Show Post

HOUSTON - The teenage son of a Harris County Precinct 1 deputy shot a home intruder Tuesday afternoon in the 2600 block of Royal Place in northwest Harris County, deputies said.

The 15-year-old boy and his 12-year-old sister had been home alone in the Mount Royal Village subdivision when around 2:30 p.m. a pair of burglars tried the front and back doors, then broke a back window.

The teenager grabbed his father's assault rifle and knew what to do with it.

"We don't try to hide things from our children in law enforcement," Lt. Jeffrey Stauber said. "That young boy was protecting his sister. He was in fear for his life and her life."

The home invaders fled, leaving a trail of blood.

Shortly afterwards, two suspects showed up at Tomball hospital. One was an adult and was hit at least three times. Lifeflight flew him to Memorial Hermann hospital in the Medical Center. The second suspect, a juvenile, was taken back to the crime scene, authorities said.

Neighbors said burglars had recently struck the two houses next door, including the deputy's home.

"They stole everything -- what they have inside. They already did it one time," Rafael Cortez said. Source here. 

Thoughts?

by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 1:46 PM
Replies (41-49):
lizzielouaf
by Gold Member on Jan. 2, 2013 at 8:25 PM
1 mom liked this

No this is NRA/gun lobbyist specifically going back in time and selecting certain stories to pull at the raw emotions of recent tragedies involving guns in order to diminish the focus on guns.  One can easily go through a similar timeline and promote stories of teenagers accidentally shooting themselves and/or others by unsecured guns. For example; 

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2226471/Boy-14-accidentally-shot-dead-assault-rifle-prank-scare-friend-buys-weapon-Craigslist.html

TruthSeeker.
by Milami on Jan. 2, 2013 at 8:29 PM

I am not a member of the NRA nor am I a gun lobbyist, so I have no idea who you are talking to.

Do you have anything specific to add about this particular story? Like "it's great that kid was taught how to defend himself" or "I can't believe a parent would allow a 15 yr old to have access to a weapon at that age"? Just curious.

Quoting lizzielouaf:

No this is NRA/gun lobbyist specifically going back in time and selecting certain stories to pull at the raw emotions of recent tragedies involving guns in order to diminish the focus on guns.  One can easily go through a similar timeline and promote stories of teenagers accidentally shooting themselves and/or others by unsecured guns. For example; 

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2226471/Boy-14-accidentally-shot-dead-assault-rifle-prank-scare-friend-buys-weapon-Craigslist.html

lizzielouaf
by Gold Member on Jan. 2, 2013 at 8:31 PM
2 moms liked this

lol ya I do...while this two year old story had a "happy" ending, teenagers should not have access to assault rifles. Ok "Truthseeker"

TruthSeeker.
by Milami on Jan. 2, 2013 at 8:40 PM

Quoting lizzielouaf:

lol ya I do...while this two year old story had a "happy" ending, teenagers should not have access to assault rifles. Ok "Truthseeker"

Well now see we can agree on something because, in general, I don't think "most" teens have any business having access to an assault rifle while alone.  

lga1965
by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 9:12 PM

If I might add my opinion, I don't think anyone needs an assault weapon except for the military , the national guard or the police. Hunting rifles and/or possibly a small handgun are suffice for the ordinary citizen.

The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you'll go.”
Dr. Seuss

Due9
by Bronze Member on Jan. 2, 2013 at 9:20 PM

I agree with Iga1965 and Sekirei. Certian ages do not need access to weapons. This is a one in a million chance story where this young kid happened to have a gun and know how to use it at the right time.

Quoting lga1965:

Quoting Sekirei:

Quoting TruthSeeker.:

Quoting Sekirei:

Quoting TruthSeeker.:

Quoting Woodbabe:

These are the kinds of stories we need to hear about in the media instead of glorifying the criminals!

I couldn't agree more, but MSM won't even pick this story up. You don't see these stories make national news.

it's a 2 year old story, that's why it won't be picked up

It wasn't picked up then. That was the point. These stories do not make National news and they happen all the time.

it would have made national news if the robbers had tried to sue the dad... 

which has happened and the  robbers have won a few of the cases. 

I will stand by my belief that under 18 should not have access to weapons. But, I can't stop anyone from letting their kids use them either

I agree. AND then there are senior citizens who probably shouldn't be using weapons either. Last month a grandfather here in southern Minnesota shot his granddaughter who was coming home from a late night get together with her friends. He thought someone was breaking in so he shot at the figure in the dark who happened to be his granddaughter. What a tragic story---it could have been avoided too. You just don't shoot in the dark.That was bad judgement ,coming from fear and desperation. That is too common--shooting mindlessly, not thinking, due to fear.

juggling

TruthSeeker.
by Milami on Jan. 2, 2013 at 9:29 PM

Quoting lga1965:

If I might add my opinion, I don't think anyone needs an assault weapon except for the military , the national guard or the police. Hunting rifles and/or possibly a small handgun are suffice for the ordinary citizen.

Of course no one "needs" them, but on whether we should be able to own them is a topic we will have to part ways on.  I do still respect your opinion though.

EireLass
by Ruby Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 11:37 AM

I did a search on Google for murders in the US by 'assault weapons'. This was put together by a group wanting to ban assault weapons. There aren't any listed. I do not see the need for the average citizen to own an 'assault weapon' either....but an assault weapon is one that is fully automatic, or a semi that can be easily converted to fully by the owner. A semi-automatic weapon does not qualify as an assault weapon.

Quoting lga1965:

la_bella_vita
by Bella on Jan. 3, 2013 at 1:06 PM

Smart kid

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)