Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

How much do you pay to keep your house warm? Like to get some ideas on keeping cost down

Posted by   + Show Post

I haven't opened my bill yet, sort of scared to lol.  Every winter, I always try to see if others have suggestions on what they do to keep their electric/gas bills down.  To share what we have done to help lower our bills.  My winter Electric bill is usually around $100/mo.  (haven't checked my current one).  Sometimes, when I'm not home a lot, vacations etc.  it's lower.  My gas is usually around $75/mo. or so.  My applicances are gas.  So, I don't use my oven.  I don't use my dryer, I hang my clothes outside.  I can get away with it even in Winter. 

I never use my central heat/air.  I use a oil-filled heater & bascially hang out in my bedroom.  (it's kinda small).  The rest of the house is very cold.  We have a fireplace though, that we also use a lot.  Before, winter comes we take our truck & go up to the local Mountains & get our wood.  Then, we also buy a cord of wood.  That usually last 2 Winters.   I have 2 rooms that get a lot sun through the windows, so I use the natural heat from the sun to warm those rooms.  It's my bedroom & a big bonus room.  Even right now, without turning on the portable heater, it's very warm :)  That's how I save on my utilities.  How does everyone else.?

by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 2:19 PM
Replies (11-20):
Rubberbiscuit
by Bronze Member on Jan. 2, 2013 at 2:36 PM

I live in New England and we go through around two tanks of oil a winter, maybe a bit less.  This is really good for our area.  We live in a single floor ranch, so we only have to heat one floor.  Most important, we use a programmable thermostat and keep it on 68 when we are home, daytime and nights it is set at 62.  If I'm home before it kicks on for the afternoon, I wear sweaters and thick socks. If I'm still having trouble keeping warm, I stay in the back room and warm myself with the space heater.  My thought is that, to keep just one person warm, it's cheaper to heat one room with a space heater than to heat an entire house.  We could save more money by using a wood stove that is in our basement, it's hooked up to it's own duct system, but we don't.  If we were hurting financially, we would probably rethink using the wood stove. 

Dzyre1115
by Silver Member on Jan. 2, 2013 at 2:37 PM

About 2100 square feet of livable space.

Quoting TruthSeeker.:

Quoting Dzyre1115:

Our electric is $300.00 a month and we use about $300.00 every six weeks in gas.

Is your house really big?

Veni.Vidi.Vici.
by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 2:37 PM
My inlaws live in a house that's probably about 1200 square feet. In my opinion the meat and solution desperately. My mother in law told me her last bill was $458 for gas.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
yourspecialkid
by Platinum Member on Jan. 2, 2013 at 2:39 PM

Our house is new, so we have the latest in insulation/windows/energy efficient appliances.  Even with that heating this much space can be spendy.  We have vents closed in seldom used rooms and our thermostat is set on 65.  When I use the oven, dryer or fireplace I set the central heat/air fan to on....so it circulates that heat.

Veni.Vidi.Vici.
by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 2:39 PM
6 moms liked this
I'm just gonna leave this reply and say that what I meant to say is that they need insulation desperately. The spell check on that was just too hilarious to erase!

Quoting Veni.Vidi.Vici.:

My inlaws live in a house that's probably about 1200 square feet. In my opinion the meat and solution desperately. My mother in law told me her last bill was $458 for gas.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
stacymomof2
by Ruby Member on Jan. 2, 2013 at 2:39 PM

Well I am in MN, my gas/ electric (comes in the same bill) is over $300 month in winter.  The best thing to do is to make sure your doors and windows are tight (the foam sealer that sticks around the edges is really cheap) and make sure you turn off appliances you aren't using, etc.  

We keep our thermostat at 63 downstairs because our upstairs gets like 10 degrees warmer (my house is 100 years old, the downstairs is extremely drafty but the upstairs has new double pane windows) and that keps the bill down.  We wear sweaters and slippers around the house.

Other tips...just the usual...only run full loads in the dishwasher or clothes washer, don't leave TV, radio or lights on, all that good stuff.

redbutterfly666
by Bronze Member on Jan. 2, 2013 at 2:40 PM

probably 30 cents lol

TruthSeeker.
by Milami on Jan. 2, 2013 at 2:40 PM

When I hear these huge gas and electric bills I get a lot less jealous of those with larger houses:) My house is only 1200 sq ft. It's small and I often feel it's too small, but I'm glad to not have $300 electric and gas bills!

Quoting Dzyre1115:

Quoting TruthSeeker.:

Quoting Dzyre1115:

Our electric is $300.00 a month and we use about $300.00 every six weeks in gas.

Sisteract
by Whoopie on Jan. 2, 2013 at 2:41 PM
1 mom liked this

Being cold does not bother me- I can always wear a sweater or wrap a blanket around myself- I do not like to be hot though. Luckily, I live on the coast where it's mild; not too hot or cold.

Dzyre1115
by Silver Member on Jan. 2, 2013 at 2:44 PM

The bills are very high in a house this size, it's four bedrooms, two and a half baths with a large den/breakfast room off the back and that is the room that uses the gas.  The rest of the house is electric heat.  Our old house was only 1,000 square feet and the electric bill was $200 a month and that was air and heat as well as all of our appliances and other electrical needs.  I miss the bills at that house, now my tenant reaps the benefits :(

Quoting TruthSeeker.:

When I hear these huge gas and electric bills I get a lot less jealous of those with larger houses:) My house is only 1200 sq ft. It's small and I often feel it's too small, but I'm glad to not have $300 electric and gas bills!

Quoting Dzyre1115:

Quoting TruthSeeker.:

Quoting Dzyre1115:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN