Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

How much do you pay to keep your house warm? Like to get some ideas on keeping cost down

Posted by   + Show Post

I haven't opened my bill yet, sort of scared to lol.  Every winter, I always try to see if others have suggestions on what they do to keep their electric/gas bills down.  To share what we have done to help lower our bills.  My winter Electric bill is usually around $100/mo.  (haven't checked my current one).  Sometimes, when I'm not home a lot, vacations etc.  it's lower.  My gas is usually around $75/mo. or so.  My applicances are gas.  So, I don't use my oven.  I don't use my dryer, I hang my clothes outside.  I can get away with it even in Winter. 

I never use my central heat/air.  I use a oil-filled heater & bascially hang out in my bedroom.  (it's kinda small).  The rest of the house is very cold.  We have a fireplace though, that we also use a lot.  Before, winter comes we take our truck & go up to the local Mountains & get our wood.  Then, we also buy a cord of wood.  That usually last 2 Winters.   I have 2 rooms that get a lot sun through the windows, so I use the natural heat from the sun to warm those rooms.  It's my bedroom & a big bonus room.  Even right now, without turning on the portable heater, it's very warm :)  That's how I save on my utilities.  How does everyone else.?

by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 2:19 PM
Replies (161-170):
Mom_to_Lincoln
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 8:49 PM

I live in MN but we don't have gas or oil. everything is electric and our bill's are about $80-100 a month. It would be less if the windows and doors were not so old and drafty but we rent so there not much we can do to help that.

noahmommie2012
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 9:13 PM
i take blankets or towel n put them infront of doors n windows to keep cold air out turn heat down to 72 no higher
Kari_Noelle
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 9:14 PM

At my old house (1700 sq ft) our electric bill was at the least $250 a month even in winter

We just moved to an apartment and I am afraid of the bills

AllNaturalMum
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 9:32 PM

I was curious.

Quoting Veni.Vidi.Vici.:

I'm just gonna leave this reply and say that what I meant to say is that they need insulation desperately. The spell check on that was just too hilarious to erase!

Quoting Veni.Vidi.Vici.:

My inlaws live in a house that's probably about 1200 square feet. In my opinion the meat and solution desperately. My mother in law told me her last bill was $458 for gas.

squeekers
“The bond that links your true family is not one of blood, but of respect and joy in each other's life. Rarely do members of one family grow up under the same roof.”— Richard David Bach (born 1936) Writer
Yesterday at 8:19 PM
by Bronze Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 9:37 PM

We have an all electric apartment. water is covered under our rent. We have a 2 bdrm/2 btrm bottom floor apartment. For the last 3 1/2 years our utilities have not gone over $33/month. In the summer, we run the ceiling fan 24/7 & open windows. In the winter, we add blankets on our beds and wear sweaters/slippers.

I'm an atheistic Humanist.
I love being opinionated about a lot of things.
SAHM of one teen DD. Married since 1989.
Awarenesses I follow: Epilepsy & Down Syndrome.
I am: Lactose & Alcohol intolerant.
DSamuels
by Gold Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 9:45 PM
Our house is a ranch, around 1400 square feet. We keep the heat (gas) at 70 and the a/c at 72. We basically have one or the other on 24/7 365 days. Our highest gas bill in 13 years has been around $130 with electric usually around $40-50. In the summer gas is usually $25 for hot water and highest electric has been around $130.

We keep them on 24/7 because it is cheaper and more efficient to maintain a steady temp than to heat up or cool down a house.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
elk571
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 10:16 PM
Wow that still seems high to me. Ours is all electric and the house is abt 1300 sq ft so maybe that makes a difference in comparison. I just make sure to keep the airflow by leaving doors open to rooms and using the sun when available but closing the shades to insulate when it's not. In addition I called our electric company and had them switch us to the all electric plan since we have no gas- didnt know it existed before and apparently many others don't either! And if course I keep unnecessary things off like lights in rooms we aren't using. I also keep closet doors and things closed! They don't have vents for a reason lol. All that being said, my bill is abt equal to yours and I'm not paying for wood gas and oil on top of it and I AM using all my appliances etc. I also get bold easily so we even keep our thermo pretty hot in comparison to most ppl so I guess my bill is more reasonable than I thought...!
SoKamele
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 10:18 PM

Coal stove........we keep the heat at 65.....I turn most of the lights and stuff off during the day.

But our electric still stays at around $300...a month.

babymaker101
by New Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 10:24 PM
Any suggestions to warm a house without power? New Orleans is giving us a hard time to turn ours on because it was empty over 6 months so all we have is a small kerosene heater. Please quote or send a private message as I'm using my phone.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
LeilaBeansMom
by Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 10:25 PM
We keep our house 72. We have an outdoor wood boiler, and I love love love it! It costs us about $150 per month in wood and electricity. We have a 1800s big old farm house, so it used to cost close to $400 a month in propane before. And that was keeping it 62 in here! I am sooo happy to come into a WARM house now after chores! As far as the electric bill, we have an operating dairy farm, so it runs about $500 a month. Pretty hard to cut anything there with the barn! Although I have tried! Lol!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN