Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

How much do you pay to keep your house warm? Like to get some ideas on keeping cost down

Posted by   + Show Post

I haven't opened my bill yet, sort of scared to lol.  Every winter, I always try to see if others have suggestions on what they do to keep their electric/gas bills down.  To share what we have done to help lower our bills.  My winter Electric bill is usually around $100/mo.  (haven't checked my current one).  Sometimes, when I'm not home a lot, vacations etc.  it's lower.  My gas is usually around $75/mo. or so.  My applicances are gas.  So, I don't use my oven.  I don't use my dryer, I hang my clothes outside.  I can get away with it even in Winter. 

I never use my central heat/air.  I use a oil-filled heater & bascially hang out in my bedroom.  (it's kinda small).  The rest of the house is very cold.  We have a fireplace though, that we also use a lot.  Before, winter comes we take our truck & go up to the local Mountains & get our wood.  Then, we also buy a cord of wood.  That usually last 2 Winters.   I have 2 rooms that get a lot sun through the windows, so I use the natural heat from the sun to warm those rooms.  It's my bedroom & a big bonus room.  Even right now, without turning on the portable heater, it's very warm :)  That's how I save on my utilities.  How does everyone else.?

by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 2:19 PM
Replies (171-180):
mamabirch88
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 10:26 PM

We keep our heat on about 65 honestly. We have a fire place heater in our bedroom and we are in there more times than not (we work 10 hour shifts and don't get home til after midnight) so we don't really need the rest of the house to stay too warm. Our electic is about $100 and our house is about 1800 sq feet.

Autumn19
by Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 10:27 PM

we just got our first full month of electric in our house and it was 265 its over 100 more than our last house and only 1/3 the size.

Melissa_4
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 10:27 PM

We have an unusual house in that the old section (built in '68) is poorly insulated,dark, started life out as a hunting lodge, and the new section (built in '95) is well insulated and full of sunshine with it's skylights, wall of windows in the kitchen, etc.  We have oil heat.  We go through about 10 gallons a day in this bitter cold weather (we live in northwestern NJ).  The oil heat powers the hot water as well, as the water goes through a coil in the furnace.  We don't have a water bill as we have a well, but the electric bill is between $250 and $400 a month (highest in summer with window a/c usage).   

We have a five zone heating system.  The first floor is our foyer, hubby's music room, the laundry room, the family room, and one full bath.  We keep the heat down there set at 55-60.  Upstairs is the great room and my office (used to be the dining room, but since it's too small our family I turned it into my office).  That section is it's own heat zone.  We only turn the heat on in those two rooms twice a year...thanksgiving and Christmas day.  The great room is 25 x 20 so it's too big to keep warm on a daily basis, and poorly insulated.  Our bedroom is off of the great room, and has it's own heat control.  Because it has the crawl space, three exterior walls and a sloped roof, that room gets VERY cold, so we keep the heat in there at 58 during the day, and turn it up to about 63 at night.  

Then the kitchen is past my office, and the heat in there controls the kitchen, the hall bathroom, and the boy's bedrooms. The master bedroom (gave it to our daughters) is another heat zone. The heat in kitchen is kept at 55 all day, and I warm it up to 60 when the kids get home from school, and put it at 65 for a little while before bedtime.  With the boy's room's doors shut, they stay nice and toasty (especially since the 8-year-old likes to bunk with big brother, lol).  The girl's room heat doesn't go below 55, so that room is the warmest during the day on that side of the house, but at night we turn their heat up to 58 (it actually feels very warm under all those blankets, especially compared to the rest of the house).  Go over 60 and they feel like their sweltering.  

We have a big fireplace in the great room, but waited too long to get wood this season, so we've been buying packs of it at the A&P or cases of firelogs.  That gets expensive, and you have to have the fire going for at least 24 hours to really make a difference in this room.  It gets so cold in the great room that I can see my breath.  I can't wait for spring!!!

pittymama
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 10:31 PM

our gas is about.. 35-40 a month (gas appliances) and electric is about 150 a month during winter (we use space heaters right now because we have a leak in our gas furnace, otherwise our electric would be a lot cheaper). we keep it at 72 in the house during winter.

during summer electric is about 350 because it gets 120+ here and there's no way to NOT run your a/c all day/night. we keep it at 78 during summer. i only do laundry when needed but we cloth diaper and i have to do a load every other day. we keep up on keeping lights off, turning our electronics off, etc.

rfurlongg
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 10:32 PM
Our electric for the winter is about $100 and our gas is about the same ($100). In the Summer our electric will double and our gas will drop to about $10-15.

We recently purchased new energy efficient windows and that helped a great deal. We use the fire place (heats up playroom on one side and family room in the other) regularly. We keep the thermostat at 70 in the winter and 78 in the summer. In the summer all the ceiling fans run regularly. We also had our insulation re-done.

Our house is 2900 sq ft.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
pittymama
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 10:32 PM

oh and we live in a 1250 sq foot manufactured home that's very well insulated.

babygirl4326
by Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 10:56 PM

BUMP!

stacey541
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 11:14 PM

We are in a 1900 sq ft manufactured that we rent-all electric. Its a beast-the electric last month was right around 300 without running it too much. We have been running it constantly this month (It was -2 outside last night and we keep the house at 65) I expect the bill to be around 450

Bauxite-17
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 11:21 PM

We have 1 space heater in the bedroom, and then when I cook or bake something, it warms up the rest of the house. Its a small house. Its not much at all.

jilleh143
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 11:35 PM
I have Eden pure heaters in my living room and bedroom. The kids have space heaters and in the play room I use an oil filled electric radiator. My kitchen is usually cold but I hang sheets on the door ways downstairs and plastic the windows. I went from spending 4 grand a winter on oil to a $165 electric bill and 600 a winter on oil. My house is old as shit and 1900 square feet. That's amazing!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN