Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

How much do you pay to keep your house warm? Like to get some ideas on keeping cost down

Posted by   + Show Post

I haven't opened my bill yet, sort of scared to lol.  Every winter, I always try to see if others have suggestions on what they do to keep their electric/gas bills down.  To share what we have done to help lower our bills.  My winter Electric bill is usually around $100/mo.  (haven't checked my current one).  Sometimes, when I'm not home a lot, vacations etc.  it's lower.  My gas is usually around $75/mo. or so.  My applicances are gas.  So, I don't use my oven.  I don't use my dryer, I hang my clothes outside.  I can get away with it even in Winter. 

I never use my central heat/air.  I use a oil-filled heater & bascially hang out in my bedroom.  (it's kinda small).  The rest of the house is very cold.  We have a fireplace though, that we also use a lot.  Before, winter comes we take our truck & go up to the local Mountains & get our wood.  Then, we also buy a cord of wood.  That usually last 2 Winters.   I have 2 rooms that get a lot sun through the windows, so I use the natural heat from the sun to warm those rooms.  It's my bedroom & a big bonus room.  Even right now, without turning on the portable heater, it's very warm :)  That's how I save on my utilities.  How does everyone else.?

by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 2:19 PM
Replies (181-190):
mmtosam06
by Bronze Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 11:46 PM

My electric bill is 72.95 but my 20.00 from last month rolled over so its 92.95 which isnt bad seeing as how I dont run my heat/air alot im more of a "hippie" lol

soon2bmomof3619
by New Member on Jan. 4, 2013 at 12:31 AM

I just got my electic bill yesterday and almost died when I saw it, I thought last months was high at $261, I wish my bill was that low this month. $345 I was like WTF!!!!! I live in a trailer, so lots of lost heat and we were ill prepared this winter. At least we know what to expect next year and will be proactive and put up plastic and actually use the storm windows, and buy 3 tons or pellets for the pellet stove. We switched to using that soley but can't afford a ton currents, and buying by the bag is a lot more expensive, but still cheaper that that ridiculous bill. I can't wait for next months, not.

momsknowbest690
by New Member on Jan. 4, 2013 at 1:10 AM

I have a small 1 bedroom apt. I'm the only one here. I usually stay in my apt. bedroom. My dresser blocks som of the colder air. My computer puts out heat. Plus I have ventilator heat from baseboards gas heat throughout the bldg. I don't use my lights during the day, and usually open my blinds for sunlight. At night I use few lights, and night lights when lights are out. I also bought battery operated  night lights in case the electricity goes out, and I have flashlights. So far I don't think it's gotten to cold. Adjust thermostat accordingly. Sometimes wear sweaters or sweatshirts inside during day or night if needed. Close shades at night, and windows. Try to stay indoors more. ~ Margie Y. Oh and use lanterns when electricity goes out too.

disneyrose
by Member on Jan. 4, 2013 at 2:08 AM

We have a woodstove that works great!  We use it 99% of the time and this is our 2nd year of having it, both last year and this year we got wood from down tree's in the area that fell due to storms.  We live in Washingtons state, kinda mild weather compared to other states.  We use about 5 cords per winter.

MamaCourtney617
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 2:15 AM

I'm not sure how we do it, we have a 2800 sq ft house, gas appliances (laundry and cooking for 5) and keep the winter temp at 77ish (I am ALWAYS cold) and my gas bill was about 120, electric was 90ish with temps in the 30's over night.  There is always somebody home so there is always something on aside from at night I turn the temp down downstairs about 3 or 4 degrees because all of the bedrooms are upstairs.  There is a vent in our entry way that I closed, and closet vents are closed, aside from that the house is only a couple years old so i'm assuming we have decent insulation that is helping.  I will be adding thick curtains in my living room in front of faux wood blinds, it gets really cold right there even with a vent blowing directly on you, so that may allow me to not keep the temp so high and reduce the bill a little more.  I also use the oven as a heater when I'm done using it, but try not to use it for small lunches, instead the toaster oven works perfectly and uses a little bit of energy over gas. 

We rented a place a few years ago and had problems with the heater, we got a few space heater fans that worked well, I recommend those if you only hang out in one room. 

belowzero
by New Member on Jan. 4, 2013 at 4:04 AM

We pay it because we have to. Heating fuel is $6.28 a gallon right now and when it's 25 below for weeks at a time we easily spend about $1,000 month on fuel. Next year I'm hoping to install a wood stove.

*Admin of Marriage and Relationships*

*Air Force National Guard Wife*

*Mother to a beautiful 12 year old daughter*

*Corrections Officer for the State of Aalska*

romalove
by Roma on Jan. 4, 2013 at 6:11 AM

The biggest thing to help with heating costs has been to stop drafts.  I have one of those door stopper things on both sides of my front door, which has helped tremendously.

megshepherd
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 8:34 AM

I have an 1100sq foot home, and we're all electric. bill is about 250.00 a month, which is alot because we keep our heat at 60.

cherylam
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 9:32 AM

an idea is to hang pretty quilts and blankes on the north & west wallls, or whatever direction the wind blows from.  We do that, and it really helps...weuse a tank of propane a year, but our house right now is tiny, an addition is polanned for spring, so we will most likely use a lot more.

supercarp
by Silver Member on Jan. 4, 2013 at 11:21 AM

I put in new windows (16 of them) and more insulation in the attic. I keep my house at 64°F at night and when I'm not home (sorry, kitty) and 67°F when I am home. I wear a sweater. My gas bill is $64/month on the budget plan but lately they've been saying I have a surplus so I don't have to pay.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN