Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

How much do you pay to keep your house warm? Like to get some ideas on keeping cost down

Posted by   + Show Post

I haven't opened my bill yet, sort of scared to lol.  Every winter, I always try to see if others have suggestions on what they do to keep their electric/gas bills down.  To share what we have done to help lower our bills.  My winter Electric bill is usually around $100/mo.  (haven't checked my current one).  Sometimes, when I'm not home a lot, vacations etc.  it's lower.  My gas is usually around $75/mo. or so.  My applicances are gas.  So, I don't use my oven.  I don't use my dryer, I hang my clothes outside.  I can get away with it even in Winter. 

I never use my central heat/air.  I use a oil-filled heater & bascially hang out in my bedroom.  (it's kinda small).  The rest of the house is very cold.  We have a fireplace though, that we also use a lot.  Before, winter comes we take our truck & go up to the local Mountains & get our wood.  Then, we also buy a cord of wood.  That usually last 2 Winters.   I have 2 rooms that get a lot sun through the windows, so I use the natural heat from the sun to warm those rooms.  It's my bedroom & a big bonus room.  Even right now, without turning on the portable heater, it's very warm :)  That's how I save on my utilities.  How does everyone else.?

by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 2:19 PM
Replies (31-40):
angeleyes16
by Member on Jan. 2, 2013 at 3:07 PM
1 mom liked this

I am in MI, so the heat is on about 1/2 of the year. We keep it at 68-70 during the day and 65 at night. (Bundle up in bed). We insulate the window with plastic, and we put towels in the doors. Our heat is gas, so it's a bit cheaper than electric heat. Our bill is about 120.00 a month for gas. Remember though, it's in the teens here. 

TranquilMind
by Platinum Member on Jan. 2, 2013 at 3:08 PM

What I do is keep all the south, east, west facing windows uncovered all day (when it is sunny), and keep the temperature at 64, like I do.

The house is nice and cool and the bill is low.   

You have it down to an art form though.  My AC is on most of the year because cool air is easier to breathe. 

aimhawk
by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 3:08 PM

I think it could be even cheaper in this trailer if it were insulated properly and everything. Its free so I am not complaining. Lol. They say putting plastic over the windows in the winter helps keep the heat in.

Quoting Naturewoman4:

That's pretty good, perhaps because it is a small trailer.  Something, we've also considered.  We use window air. cond. in two of our rooms.  It works GREAT!  We can keep it as cool as we want & our bill is usually not over $50 in the summer.  That problem is solved.  We're going to put another one this summer, the biggest they make & put in the living room.

Quoting aimhawk:

We are currently staying in a small two bedroom trailer while saving money to buy a house in a few months. There is an electric window unit that heats and cools. Our last month's bill was around $130.

Naturewoman4
by Platinum Member on Jan. 2, 2013 at 3:08 PM

That's so good!!  Do you try & not turn on the gas/electric, & just use a wood-stove or fireplace, & wear warm clothes inside.  When it's really cold, I wear a hat & scarf.  Plus, heavy pants & sweater. 

Quoting OHgirlinCA:

In a "bad" month my bill usually doesn't exceed $150.00 for both gas and electric. 

Quoting Naturewoman4:

That's seems to me utility bill would be kinda high though?  Right now my house (with just using the sunlight to warm my house) is under 60.  55 or so.  I'm cold, but I stay in the warm room of my house. 

Quoting OHgirlinCA:

We keep the thermostat at 62 at night and while we're away, and 68 when we're home. 

April620
by Member on Jan. 2, 2013 at 3:08 PM
This almost exactly. If the heat is on it is set absolutely no higher than 68 because I overheat, especially at night as we cosleep. We have about 2200 sq ft and our bill averages 65 - 95$ a month

Quoting The_Doodle:

Honestly we don't really do anything. We keep it at a cool temperature but that's just because I get overheated easily and have problems with hives (which get worse with heat). We live in a 950 square foot apartment with really crappily insulated doors and windows and we pay about 90-120 a month in gas and electric.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Joqui
by Joqui on Jan. 2, 2013 at 3:09 PM

I am fortunate enough to have my water and electric (no gas) included in my rent.

Ms.KitKat
by Platinum Member on Jan. 2, 2013 at 3:10 PM

I turn the heat on and enjoy me some warmth!

Seriously though- I keep the heat to 68 during the day when everyone is home otherwise it goes down to 64 at night and when we are out. A pot of soup on the stove does wonders to heat the house and it does give a little warmth when consumed too.

We have insulated our home with siding and windows. But aside from that I will not suffer and lock myself in 1 or 2 rooms of my home and refuse to use the stove. We are fortunate to make a decent living and gosh darn it I work my butt off to be able to come home to a nice warm cozy 2700+square foot home. I am going to enjoy every inch of it with warmth.

Naturewoman4
by Platinum Member on Jan. 2, 2013 at 3:10 PM

We have dual pane windows, that helps a lot.  I heard of that plastic or something over your windows.  I think I'm going to try that.  It would be from the inside though right?  Maybe, I need to google that & see exactly what type of covering I should use. 

Quoting aimhawk:

I think it could be even cheaper in this trailer if it were insulated properly and everything. Its free so I am not complaining. Lol. They say putting plastic over the windows in the winter helps keep the heat in.

Quoting Naturewoman4:

That's pretty good, perhaps because it is a small trailer.  Something, we've also considered.  We use window air. cond. in two of our rooms.  It works GREAT!  We can keep it as cool as we want & our bill is usually not over $50 in the summer.  That problem is solved.  We're going to put another one this summer, the biggest they make & put in the living room.

Quoting aimhawk:

We are currently staying in a small two bedroom trailer while saving money to buy a house in a few months. There is an electric window unit that heats and cools. Our last month's bill was around $130.

JP-StrongForTwo
by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 3:11 PM

We dont spend anything. We live in southern arizona, the temps outside get pretty cold at night, 30s 40s, and 50s and 60s during the day. but the house is nice and insulated, and stays around 65 during the day and over night. with warm clothing and extra blankets, we do fine. i dont turn the heater on at all. 

its summer time that we suffer lol. there is no way around using the AC when its 120* outside. 

Naturewoman4
by Platinum Member on Jan. 2, 2013 at 3:13 PM

Yes, I agree if you work & make good money, you do deserve it.  I guess, being I was a SAHM & even when I worked p/t, I still had to be very careful with our expenses.  Even now the kids are gone, we still have to be careful.  I guess, people choose what to spend their money on.  I like my gym & taking traveling.  So, that's what I don't mind spending my money on.  So, I have to cut corners in all the other areas.

Quoting Ms.KitKat:

I turn the heat on and enjoy me some warmth!

Seriously though- I keep the heat to 68 during the day when everyone is home otherwise it goes down to 64 at night and when we are out. A pot of soup on the stove does wonders to heat the house and it does give a little warmth when consumed too.

We have insulated our home with siding and windows. But aside from that I will not suffer and lock myself in 1 or 2 rooms of my home and refuse to use the stove. We are fortunate to make a decent living and gosh darn it I work my butt off to be able to come home to a nice warm cozy 2700+square foot home. I am going to enjoy every inch of it with warmth.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)