Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How much do you pay to keep your house warm? Like to get some ideas on keeping cost down

Posted by   + Show Post

I haven't opened my bill yet, sort of scared to lol.  Every winter, I always try to see if others have suggestions on what they do to keep their electric/gas bills down.  To share what we have done to help lower our bills.  My winter Electric bill is usually around $100/mo.  (haven't checked my current one).  Sometimes, when I'm not home a lot, vacations etc.  it's lower.  My gas is usually around $75/mo. or so.  My applicances are gas.  So, I don't use my oven.  I don't use my dryer, I hang my clothes outside.  I can get away with it even in Winter. 

I never use my central heat/air.  I use a oil-filled heater & bascially hang out in my bedroom.  (it's kinda small).  The rest of the house is very cold.  We have a fireplace though, that we also use a lot.  Before, winter comes we take our truck & go up to the local Mountains & get our wood.  Then, we also buy a cord of wood.  That usually last 2 Winters.   I have 2 rooms that get a lot sun through the windows, so I use the natural heat from the sun to warm those rooms.  It's my bedroom & a big bonus room.  Even right now, without turning on the portable heater, it's very warm :)  That's how I save on my utilities.  How does everyone else.?

by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 2:19 PM
Replies (51-60):
Naturewoman4
by Platinum Member on Jan. 2, 2013 at 3:30 PM

We have propane too here in CA.  I believe it's about the same as what you pay.  (I'll have to go back & check).  I hear furnances cut your bills down I believe.  You live in a State that is really cold, so I can just imagine the high bills.  We're starting to use our fireplace all day now, I just went out to bring in the wood.  Then, I will work in the living room/kitchen soon.  So, I will be warm while doing it.  I think I couldn't survive here without a fireplace.  Plus, it's coozy!  :)  I always thought living in States like Minnesota, since I've lived here in CA all my life, that the utilities living in that part of the Country wouldd be horrible.  So, I wanted to ask some that have some tips to share.  Thanks

Quoting sweetmissy_05:

We got a brand new high efficiency furnace last year when our old one broke down.  So it cut our bill in half thank goodness....we have propane and it's like $1.40 a gallon or so and minimum fill of 100 gallons.  We have had it filled once.  Will have to go check to see what the percentage is again.  We live in Minnesota.

survivorinohio
by René on Jan. 2, 2013 at 3:32 PM

Quoting xMamaMiax:

Our bill went up this month it's $260.  That's electric and gas.  The electric is at least $100 even in the winter.  They switch places in the summer where my gas is low and electric high.  The peak bill in summer/winter is usually August/January $350.

We have all new windows so that helps.  Other then that idk what else would really work.

Windows are only as good as their installation I swear.  We had lead abatement and they installed good replacement windows but there is a lot of cold around the windows. If the exixting frame has been well insulated than we would be ok I guess but even with my nice new windows I have hung plastic.

How far you go in life depends on your being: tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of both the weak and strong.  Because someday in life you would have been one or all of these.  GeorgeWashingtonCarver

Naturewoman4
by Platinum Member on Jan. 2, 2013 at 3:32 PM

$200/mo seems not too pay to keep your house at 73.  I think ours would be double that!

Quoting deadlights86:

Ours is about 200 a month and we have crappy insulation and windows but we keep the heat at 73

JP-StrongForTwo
by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 3:34 PM

Yeah the electric companies (srp and APS) both offer a flat rate fee in the summer. i never use enough energy to make it worth it though. my aunt does though. my summer bill is usually 120 or so. this is our first summer in a house though, so it may be different this year lol. 

Quoting Naturewoman4:

Wow, how nice :)  Yes, I have a sister & mom that lives in AZ.  My sister in the So. part & my mom the No. part.  My sister once said, not sure it's the same now.  She paid a flat fee in the summer, so she could have her house cool all summer long.  She said she paid (at that time several yrs. ago) $150/mo.  Is that the same now?  How much do you pay to keep your house cool, if I can ask.  Is it similiar to what my sister said she does.

Quoting JP-StrongForTwo:

We dont spend anything. We live in southern arizona, the temps outside get pretty cold at night, 30s 40s, and 50s and 60s during the day. but the house is nice and insulated, and stays around 65 during the day and over night. with warm clothing and extra blankets, we do fine. i dont turn the heater on at all. 

its summer time that we suffer lol. there is no way around using the AC when its 120* outside. 

deadlights86
by Bronze Member on Jan. 2, 2013 at 3:36 PM
Yeah our neighbor said look forward to 400 dollar bill cause that's what the previous tenets had but maybe they had the heat way up.

Quoting Naturewoman4:

$200/mo seems not too pay to keep your house at 73.  I think ours would be double that!

Quoting deadlights86:

Ours is about 200 a month and we have crappy insulation and windows but we keep the heat at 73

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Naturewoman4
by Platinum Member on Jan. 2, 2013 at 3:39 PM

That seems pretty cheap for keeping your house that warm, when it gets down to the teens.  Perhaps, in your State your utilities are cheaper. 

Quoting angeleyes16:

I am in MI, so the heat is on about 1/2 of the year. We keep it at 68-70 during the day and 65 at night. (Bundle up in bed). We insulate the window with plastic, and we put towels in the doors. Our heat is gas, so it's a bit cheaper than electric heat. Our bill is about 120.00 a month for gas. Remember though, it's in the teens here. 

CjEmmemommy
by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 3:40 PM

Last month the gas was 65 and the electric was 100.

So much better than the summers whn gas is 25 but electric is 300-500+

jesusismyfriend
by Silver Member on Jan. 2, 2013 at 4:08 PM
We spend $1000 on oil a year. We don't ever use it all even at 72. We have double insulation and double weather windows.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
EireLass
by Ruby Member on Jan. 2, 2013 at 4:12 PM

We have never turned on the furnace in this house. It is 3 stories, probably 2500sf. We have a wood stove on the lower level, a pellet stove on the middle level. We probaby buy 4 ton's of pellets/year @ $230/ton. We use 2 cord of wood @ $200/cord. So it looks like about $1200/year. We live in Maine.

LindaClement
by Linda on Jan. 2, 2013 at 4:14 PM

We have an oil furnace and pay about $900 a season, depending on the cost of the fuel.

We keep our thermostat at 18C (64F) all day and night.

Our house was designed for this climate: huge south-facing windows with a deep overhang, so in the summer the sun is too high to heat the house, and right now I'm baking in a sunbeam because it's directly through the windows.

Our electricity (not heat, but dryer and hot water) is $65/mo --it's an equal payment that's readjusted annually, and it's probably going down again since we haven't had any kids at home for a year. I dry clothes on the rack and line as much as possible.

It is important (for the building) not to let the indoor temperature get so low that condensation builds up in the walls. In most places, that's about 15C/59F degrees. It can severely damage your building, destroying the insulation in the walls, rotting the timbers and attracting things like damp wood termites.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured