Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

How much do you pay to keep your house warm? Like to get some ideas on keeping cost down

Posted by   + Show Post

I haven't opened my bill yet, sort of scared to lol.  Every winter, I always try to see if others have suggestions on what they do to keep their electric/gas bills down.  To share what we have done to help lower our bills.  My winter Electric bill is usually around $100/mo.  (haven't checked my current one).  Sometimes, when I'm not home a lot, vacations etc.  it's lower.  My gas is usually around $75/mo. or so.  My applicances are gas.  So, I don't use my oven.  I don't use my dryer, I hang my clothes outside.  I can get away with it even in Winter. 

I never use my central heat/air.  I use a oil-filled heater & bascially hang out in my bedroom.  (it's kinda small).  The rest of the house is very cold.  We have a fireplace though, that we also use a lot.  Before, winter comes we take our truck & go up to the local Mountains & get our wood.  Then, we also buy a cord of wood.  That usually last 2 Winters.   I have 2 rooms that get a lot sun through the windows, so I use the natural heat from the sun to warm those rooms.  It's my bedroom & a big bonus room.  Even right now, without turning on the portable heater, it's very warm :)  That's how I save on my utilities.  How does everyone else.?

by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 2:19 PM
Replies (61-70):
PinkButterfly66
by Gold Member on Jan. 2, 2013 at 4:22 PM
1 mom liked this

Calk all draft causing areas around windows.  Insulate behind light switches and outlet covers with foam sheets or insulating foam in a can.  Get a programable thermostat to turn the heat down at night when everyone is sleeping.  Close doors and vents to rooms not used.  Put flannel or fleece sheets on the bed with down comfortors so you're cozy and warm with the thermostat down.

Install insulation strips around exterior doors and draft stopping threshold plate. 

toomanypoodles
by Ruby Member on Jan. 2, 2013 at 6:50 PM

We average a $100 a month.  I like a cool house so I don't put the heat on too much...but I DO run my A/C a lot in the summer. 

lga1965
by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 7:03 PM

My townhome is 1600 square feet and its a one level center unit which I think helps keep heat in. I set my thermostat to 68 in the day and 66 at night. I have a down quilt on the bed and it is really toasty warm. I have a portable heater to use when I take a bath or shower so its more comfortable. My heat bill has reached 145.00 occasionally when the temp has been below zero often. Last winter was unusually warm and so far we have only had one day of below zero this year but its usually colder in January and February.. In the summer my A/C is set at 78.

angeleyes16
by Member on Jan. 2, 2013 at 9:01 PM

Gas for heat and appliances are cheaper than electric. My electric bill runs about the same though all year around. (70.00). In the summer gas is hardly anything. 

Quoting Naturewoman4:

That seems pretty cheap for keeping your house that warm, when it gets down to the teens.  Perhaps, in your State your utilities are cheaper. 

Quoting angeleyes16:

I am in MI, so the heat is on about 1/2 of the year. We keep it at 68-70 during the day and 65 at night. (Bundle up in bed). We insulate the window with plastic, and we put towels in the doors. Our heat is gas, so it's a bit cheaper than electric heat. Our bill is about 120.00 a month for gas. Remember though, it's in the teens here. 

CeceliaRosella
by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 9:38 PM
Our apartment includes heat so we run the thermostat at 77. I will be afraid of the bill if we ever move.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Ziva65
by Gold Member on Jan. 2, 2013 at 9:45 PM

We pay alot- easy 700+/ mo. year round. Summer it'[s heating the pool; winter is the house heater. I like the house at about 70 in the winter. We have a few great rooms, and I think they just steal the heat- they are surrounded by windows, which doesn't help.

We've completely remodeled everything a few years ago- new windows, double pane, fully insulated, new appliances- we had plumbers and electricians here to review eveyrthing as our bills were REALLY high (something was wrong).

We occassionally build a fire, even though its a new fireplace but the least bit of smoke causes us to have allergy problems so we rarely use it- it has some special fan which does put out nice heat though. We were able to get our bill down to what it is now after the major remodel. Guess I'm just not really willing to do much more than that. It does go down during the day when everyone goes back to school and to our offices. But, even then, we keep it a bit warm for our pets. We have a special cover for our macaw with his own heater or he gets sinus infections, so at least the whole house heater can be turned down. Hubby is talking ot someone to have a second heater put in for the back part of the house, near the bedrooms and away from the great rooms, that might help...

We also put solar in for our pool heat, that might help by next summer... we'll see. Still looking at going with more solar, but the bids have been the cost of someones house- not worth it, yet.

It will occassionally get down to the high 20's here, no snow. We are in the San Francisco Bay Area. We've lived in other places, and never paid this much. Our neighbors are all about the same- lower for those who keep thier houses colder... I just don't want to do that. I wear a sweater all the time anyway, and lots of down comforters at night. I HATE to be cold.

trippyhippy
by Gold Member on Jan. 2, 2013 at 9:46 PM
I just read that bubble wrap on the windows is a great cheap insulator. You just spray a little water on the window and it sticks to the window.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
katy_kay08
by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 9:48 PM

our winter electric/gas bill is around $175 - 200 depending on how cold it was the month before.  

We don't change the temp. of the house much at all so the furnace doesn't have to run for an extended period of time to bring it up to temp or hold the temp.  

Aislinn
by Silver Member on Jan. 2, 2013 at 9:49 PM

For the future, I would ditch the fireplace and buy an insert wood stove. They heat so much better. Black out curtains work wonders. And, can I say, I am sooo jealous of your electric bill. That is mine, in the summer, running nothing and always having the lights off...lol

Stephanie329
by Platinum Member on Jan. 2, 2013 at 9:51 PM
We don't really do much except use a space heater like you do. I think it's great how you're saving energy.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN