Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

House Republicans pull plug on Sandy aid bill

Posted by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 4:25 PM
  • 18 Replies

House Republicans abruptly pulled the plug Tuesday night on their promise to take up this week an emergency supplemental disaster aid bill for Northeast states damaged by Hurricane Sandy.

The decision is a stunning reversal since just hours before New Jersey lawmakers were preparing for floor debate Wednesday as outlined under a strategy promoted by no less than Majority Leader Eric Cantor (R-Va.).

Indeed the Appropriations Committee had gone so far as to file a $27 billion bill Tuesday together with an amendment to be offered by Rep. Rodney Frelinghuysen (R-N.J.) seeking an additional $33 billion to match the Senate passed package of last week.

Absent a change of heart, the upshot now is that the Senate bill will die with this Congress on Thursday at noon. And the whole affair is sure to bring back memories of the famous Daily News headline in 1975—“Ford to City: Drop Dead.”

“I am stunned, stunned,” Rep. Rob Andrews (D-N.J.) told POLITICO. “I assume there is as tactical consideration here, that the Republican leadership didn’t want to be anywhere near a big spending bill after the fiasco of their handling the tax debate. I understand the tactics but there is a real human need here that is being ignored.”

(PHOTOS: Hurricane Sandy)

Frelinghuysen, a respected member of the Appropriations panel and a close ally of New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie, had been expected to take the lead together with Rep. Peter King (R-N.Y.). “The idea is to get it to $60 billion. We get the vote. That’s all we can ask for,” King had said Monday. And if successful, the strategy was to send the bill quickly over to the Senate and onto the White House.

After weeks of relative silence, the decision to move so fast always seemed a bit of a stretch. But the strategy had Cantor’s blessing and to pull back now after hopes had been raised seems a remarkable tease.

The $27 billion measure — which was to be managed by House Appropriations Committee Chairman Hal Rogers (R-Ky.) — closely mirrored a Republican alternative tested in the Senate last week by Sen. Dan Coats (R-Ind.).

Coats argued then that it should be seen as a first installment to cover the immediate recovery needs of the next three months. While he lost, he drew strong support from fellow Republicans, and Rogers’s plan tracks his work while adding more for the national flood insurance program.

In fact, the flood insurance program is one area where the failure of the House to act could have immediate consequences.

Current estimates are that the fund will have exhausted its borrowing authority by the week of Jan. 7, and the White House has requested an increase of $9.7 billion — included in the Senate bill. It is believed that damage from Sandy will generate as many as 139,000 claims, but without an increase in the borrowing authority only about 12,000 of these can be covered from existing funds.

“I can’t remember a time when we had a very serious storm, tornado, fire, flood where we did not act,” said House Minority Whip Steny Hoyer (D-Md.) “This Congress is apparently leaving town without responding to that emergency. There’s not one of us, not one of us in this Congress that could not be in the same position.

“There are Republicans who are deeply grieved by this action and there are Democrats on this Floor who are deeply grieved by this action. This is not the right thing to do. I would hope it would be reconsidered.”

Join us on the 99% Moms group!
The Ninety-Nine Percent Moms   

If they enforced bank regulations like they do park rules, we wouldn't be in this mess

by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 4:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LauraKW
by "Dude!" on Jan. 2, 2013 at 4:32 PM

C'mon, Christie, praise that Republican leadership some more.

brookiecookie87
by Platinum Member on Jan. 2, 2013 at 4:35 PM

Quoting Peter King

“Boehner is the one,” the New York Republican explained. “He walked off the floor. He refused to tell us why. He refused to give us any indication or warning whatsoeve
This reminds me of when Chris Christie was on the Daily Show and Jon Stewart pointed out:

Quote:

"This is the problem with entitlements. They're really only entitlements when they're something other people want. When it's something you want, they're a hallmark of a civilized society, the foundation of a great people

Veni.Vidi.Vici.
by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 5:06 PM

I read this a couple of hours ago and I didn't want to post it here. I curled my lip while reading it and I felt a little dirty afterward. Disgusting.

yourspecialkid
by Platinum Member on Jan. 2, 2013 at 5:12 PM
2 moms liked this

Perhaps they should have had a bill sent to them that was only about hurricane relief and not another slice off the 'ol ham.  We are going to have to borrow half of it...every penny we spend should actually go for hurricane aid.

stacymomof2
by Ruby Member on Jan. 2, 2013 at 5:59 PM
1 mom liked this

What was in it?  

Why didn't they present their own bill, or did they?

Quoting yourspecialkid:

Perhaps they should have had a bill sent to them that was only about hurricane relief and not another slice off the 'ol ham.  We are going to have to borrow half of it...every penny we spend should actually go for hurricane aid.

AdrianneHill
by Platinum Member on Jan. 2, 2013 at 7:08 PM
Dirty bastards. Not passing a bill because they still feel poorly about averting the fiscal cliff. Majority leader said it was something that should be taken care of by next Congress session as opposed to this one. I wasn't very clear on why that was a smart political move.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
yourspecialkid
by Platinum Member on Jan. 2, 2013 at 7:24 PM

Quoting stacymomof2:

What was in it?  

Quoting yourspecialkid:

150 million for fisheries in Alaska...8 million for new cars for Homeland Security...2 million to repair the roof of the Smithsonian...58 million for tree planting subsidies....a lot of stuff that has nothing to do with the storm.

There were several House and Senate bills.

stacymomof2
by Ruby Member on Jan. 2, 2013 at 7:31 PM

Huh.  So why didn't they vote on one of those?

Quoting yourspecialkid:

Quoting stacymomof2:

What was in it?  

Quoting yourspecialkid:

150 million for fisheries in Alaska...8 million for new cars for Homeland Security...2 million to repair the roof of the Smithsonian...58 million for tree planting subsidies....a lot of stuff that has nothing to do with the storm.

yourspecialkid
by Platinum Member on Jan. 2, 2013 at 7:41 PM
2 moms liked this

Quoting stacymomof2:

Quoting yourspecialkid:

Quoting stacymomof2:

What was in it?  

Quoting yourspecialkid:

You have got me.  IMHO...they have gotten so concerned with how to screw the other party they can't even think straight.  In this case...the Senate sent over a bill knowing the House would balk...thus creating healines like the one above...the House sends over bills sans pork...knowing the Senate will balk...this gets lost on page 50 of google because it just isn't exciting....and in the end "we the people" get screwed.

Honestly....I think they ALL should be fired and replaced by real people that have to live within their means or be homeless.

brookiecookie87
by Platinum Member on Jan. 2, 2013 at 10:48 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting yourspecialkid:

Quoting stacymomof2:

Quoting yourspecialkid:

Quoting stacymomof2:

What was in it?  

Quoting yourspecialkid:

You have got me.  IMHO...they have gotten so concerned with how to screw the other party they can't even think straight.  In this case...the Senate sent over a bill knowing the House would balk...thus creating healines like the one above...the House sends over bills sans pork...knowing the Senate will balk...this gets lost on page 50 of google because it just isn't exciting....and in the end "we the people" get screwed.

Honestly....I think they ALL should be fired and replaced by real people that have to live within their means or be homeless.

I agree with you.

Join us on the 99% Moms group!
The Ninety-Nine Percent Moms   

If they enforced bank regulations like they do park rules, we wouldn't be in this mess

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN