Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

2% Payroll Tax Reduction to End

Posted by   + Show Post
For the last 2 years we have received a 2% payroll tax reduction on our first $113K earned. I know that my partner & I will miss that 2% in our paychecks. Anyone else?

Maybe we should have fallen off the darn cliff & waited for the new Congree to start tomorrow. I still think that there shouldn't have been any tax cuts for those making above $250K. Now Obama has no bargaining power to protect Social Security, Medicaid, & Medicare either. This is going to bite him on the tushy later.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 6:45 PM
Replies (31-40):
stormcris
by Christy on Jan. 2, 2013 at 8:32 PM

They are still going to increase social security tax to the higher rate. That was a given to happen as was the 2% reduction dropping. However, what did happen is there are now no spending cuts at all.

Bookwormy
by Platinum Member on Jan. 2, 2013 at 8:39 PM
Spending cuts will be negotiated in two months & Obama has no bargaining power now.

Quoting stormcris:

They are still going to increase social security tax to the higher rate. That was a given to happen as was the 2% reduction dropping. However, what did happen is there are now no spending cuts at all.

stormcris
by Christy on Jan. 2, 2013 at 8:45 PM

What bargaining power did he have before? He wants the debt ceiling raised so its countered with the spending cuts the Republicans want.

Here is the big thing though, Republicans signed a bill to prevent the fiscal cliff without one cut. Sorry but the currency war and trade agenda and possible food crisis will trump out all of it and they will sign whatever it takes to keep our dollar low and increase our profits. Congress is driven much more by the external factors than they are by this person or that person's bargaining chips.

Quoting Bookwormy:

Spending cuts will be negotiated in two months & Obama has no bargaining power now.

Quoting stormcris:

Would you prefer to be barbecue or teriyaki?
Aivlys_
by Member on Jan. 2, 2013 at 8:52 PM
I love living in California! Taxes are high, and it isn't for everyone. If that 2% helps to pay back our deficit, I am all for it, this country is broke and we can't borrow anymore $$$$. I would have welcomed the cut of the bush era tax cuts and all those other Tax credits.. we need to pay our debt down..

Quoting Bookwormy:

If you chose to live somewhere with a more reasonable cost of living and if you chose to have a smaller family like myself, you would be wealthy. No choice I make will make my income wealthy in the US. I do live in a much lower cost area than you & have one child. I'm middle class. We make less than $100K & *know* that $100K is middle class even though it is more than I make.

But the real point of my OP was that our pay checks are going down by 2%! Does that bother you? It bothers me!

Quoting Aivlys_:

Yes and its ridiculous, France is going down the drain! So since Dh and I chose wise thriving careers and make over what you think is rich, we should pay more! Hmmm.. I am sure those making under 100k think you are rich too.. I know you are not rich and depending where you live it isn't much. I am not rich, we are very comfortable and we live in California, 4 kids,.... But Rich, NO!

Quoting Bookwormy:

France has a *huge* tax on the wealthy right now. Glad to see how patriotic & charitable our wealthy are.

Quoting Aivlys_:

Lol.. so I am upper class then and should pay more. This is the only country in the world that rewards mediocrity.. thankfully I am prepared and aren't worried of paying for more Crap taxes (ACA).

Quoting Bookwormy:

Because $100K is middle class & $250K is upper class. Big dif!

Quoting Aivlys_:

Oh yes. I know, I Was just wondering, why op didn't want to lower taxes from $250k. Lol

Quoting smalltowngal:

Quoting Aivlys_:

Lol... Why start at the ones making $250k and above why not $100k and above... Lol

I think it was raised  for those making 400k and above. 

stacymomof2
by Ruby Member on Jan. 2, 2013 at 9:06 PM

Since you didn't understand my indirect reference, I am saying that your "takers" comment is proof that you care about no one except maybe your pocketbook.  I wouldn't be throwing around the word "selfish" too cavalierly if I were you.

Quoting talia-mom:

I don't have to provide any evidence.  She stated others should pay more, but she shouldn't.  I can't help it if she is too selfish to help others.

Quoting stacymomof2:

Who do you care about?  I didn't see any evidence of it from your comment.  You aren't even "pretending."

Quoting talia-mom:

No.   Just honest.   You want certain people to pay more, but not yourself.   Completely selfish.   Oh well, I guess I just don't pretend to care like you.   I actually care.

Quoting Bookwormy:

She thought a classist comment was appropriate.

Quoting stacymomof2:

What?

Quoting talia-mom:

Make those that contribute pay even more for the flipping takers that provide nothing but more kids, crime, and sloth.

stacymomof2
by Ruby Member on Jan. 2, 2013 at 9:09 PM

Uh, aren't you doing exactly what you are accusing her of doing?  Are you saying you are willing to pay more taxes?  Because if so I apparently misunderstood your position.

Quoting talia-mom:

Being called a classist bigot is really amusing when you think you shouldn't be paying more but others should.

I can't help it that you pretend to care when you really only care about keeping your taxes low.

Quoting Bookwormy:

We don't pretend. We will always be middle class because my partner & I both have MSSWs. We have chosen not to go into private practice & work with the "worried well". But that's OK. I know we're good people. I don't need the approval of online classist bigots.

Quoting stacymomof2:

Who do you care about?  I didn't see any evidence of it from your comment.  You aren't even "pretending."

Quoting talia-mom:

No.   Just honest.   You want certain people to pay more, but not yourself.   Completely selfish.   Oh well, I guess I just don't pretend to care like you.   I actually care.

Quoting Bookwormy:

Quoting stacymomof2:

What?

Quoting talia-mom:

Make those that contribute pay even more for the flipping takers that provide nothing but more kids, crime, and sloth.

stacymomof2
by Ruby Member on Jan. 2, 2013 at 9:12 PM

I don't think you are pretending.  And it's true, you don't need anyone's approval, especially someone just snarking on the internet.

Quoting Bookwormy:

We don't pretend. We will always be middle class because my partner & I both have MSSWs. We have chosen not to go into private practice & work with the "worried well". But that's OK. I know we're good people. I don't need the approval of online classist bigots.

Quoting stacymomof2:

Quoting talia-mom:

Quoting Bookwormy:

Quoting stacymomof2:

What?

Quoting talia-mom:

Bookwormy
by Platinum Member on Jan. 2, 2013 at 10:11 PM

Thank you!

And, for the record, economists call higher taxes for wealthier folks progressive tax plans & equal taxes for all income folk regressive taxes.  So, for instance, sales tax is regressive.  Taxing higher income folks, like those that earn $250K or $400K & above at a higher rate than the rest of us is progressive.

I wouldn't feel so strongly except my mom did pay taxes for several years, & was working poor.  In fact she worked 3 jobs & had no health benefits from any of them when she got ill at 44yo.  Poor health care & no health insurance until she was disabled by congestive heart failure at 44yo ultimately led to her death at 47yo.  This was simply wrong.  Dead wrong.

The truth is my family will survive a 2% decrease in take home pay.  My mother wouldn't have survived that.  The working poor get screwed every which way & sideways.  & it literally kills them.  This is why class issues (& feminist issues & healthcare) are so very important to me.  They are actually life & death.  47yo is too young to die.  My DD is turning 6yo tomorrow & never knew her Mimi because Mimi has been gone 19 years.  That's just wrong.  Dead wrong.

So this is personal for me.  But not really because I don't want to pay 2% more.  Its personal because I know that the working poor can't afford to pay 2% more.

Quoting stacymomof2:

I don't think you are pretending.  And it's true, you don't need anyone's approval, especially someone just snarking on the internet.

Quoting Bookwormy:

Quoting stacymomof2:

Quoting talia-mom:

Quoting Bookwormy:

Quoting stacymomof2:

What?

Quoting talia-mom:

Hate Is NOT a Family Value.

UpSheRises
by Platinum Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 8:58 AM

I'm not sweating it but maybe it's because i don't make that much.

radioheid
by Libertarian on Jan. 3, 2013 at 9:25 AM

Well, if we want to continue borrowing and spending like the world is going to end, we have to fund it somehow.

The top tax bracket will be nearly 40%. Can you imagine losing 40% of your income and paying hundreds of thousands (or even millions) in taxes? Half of this country pays no federal income taxes at all. God forbid folks are made to pay taxes for services they will certainly use.

"Roger that. Over."

R   A   D    I    O    H    E    I    D

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)