Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

2% Payroll Tax Reduction to End

Posted by   + Show Post
For the last 2 years we have received a 2% payroll tax reduction on our first $113K earned. I know that my partner & I will miss that 2% in our paychecks. Anyone else?

Maybe we should have fallen off the darn cliff & waited for the new Congree to start tomorrow. I still think that there shouldn't have been any tax cuts for those making above $250K. Now Obama has no bargaining power to protect Social Security, Medicaid, & Medicare either. This is going to bite him on the tushy later.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 6:45 PM
Replies (71-72):
LauraKW
by "Dude!" on Jan. 8, 2013 at 7:39 PM
What? Life isn't fair?!?

Quoting luckystars2012:

You do realize that the working poor and most of the so called middle.class pay zero, right?

To say that my 30% is equal.to someone elses 10% is to say that their money is worth more than mine. That my hard work.is worth less that theirs. Which is simply not true, and horribly unfair to even.consider.

Quoting Bookwormy:

Economists have exlained very clearly that (my numbers are examples, not theirs) 10% for the working poor is equivalent to 20% for the middle class which is equivalent to 30% for the upper class. This is economic theory of progressive versus regressive taxes. I don't want to live in a regressive society. I hear you that you think that would be fair. But economists have said it isn't & they are the professionals, so I choose to listen to them.

Quoting luckystars2012:

No, what's unfair is expecting the upper middle class andhigher to pay the majority of the expenses for the nation. We all live here. We should all contribute appropriately.

Quoting Bookwormy:

I'm not for a flat tax rate because economists explain very clearly that it is regressive & hurt the poor. 30% to the poor & working poor is much more significant than the middle class & a world apart from the wealthy. It is simply unfair.

Quoting luckystars2012:

As I said, I dont know what category you fall into, and I was speaking in general terms (thus me saying "general you").

I understand what youre saying, that not everyone who gets a tax return doesnt pay taxes.

I was referring to those who get back more than they pay in.  For example, if you pay 2000 in taxes throughout the year, and get 2001.00 back, you have effectively paid no taxes.  It may be due to certain credits and exemptions, but in the end you (and this is still a general you) have still paid no taxes.  Romney may be a dipwad, but he was correct in saying that 47% of american pay no taxes.  Now 18% of those people are elderly, disabled, ect and dont really have income to soeak of with which to pay taxes. I get that.  But theres also a huge chunk of able bodied americans who get back everything they pay in, plus many get MORE than they pay in.  And thats crap.

I am for a fair and equal tax.  you pay 30%, I pay 30%(or whatever the percentage).  The only way to get a tax return is if you pay more than your percentage, no refundable credits, no credits for popping out kids, nothing.  The ONLY type of credits I would vote for would be education credits, for people going to college and/or paying on student loans, because they are doing something to increase their earning potential.

Quoting Bookwormy:

When I get a tax return its because I overpaid the govt. I pay taxes, usually significantly more than I owe. They keep a portion & refund me the rest. If I could get it right I wouldn't get a refund, I would just pay exactly what I owe. But I overpay in order to not owe them money when I don't have any extra to give them. So the IRS gets to collect interest on my money every year. But I do pay taxes. However, there are lots of crimes committed by tax payimg folk. & overpopulation is committed by them too. And some tax paying folk are lazy. I know some "kept" women. I don't mean SAHMs. That's all well & good. The kids are long grown & gone. I mean women who don't work because of their social status.

Ultimately it isn't my place to judge others. It isn't Talia's either. Her comment was classist. I am for a progressive tax structure. She is for what economists call a regressive tax structure.

I don't pretend to care. My life history is such that I care very much, as I detailed earlier in this thread. My mother paid taxes too. It didn't get her past 47yo. She was no sloth working 3 jobs. I don't know if Talia does that. My mom was no criminal & was self-sufficient most of her life. And her dying due to a lack of adequate healthcare & insurance in the US was wrong. Dead wrong.

Quoting luckystars2012:

I believe Talia is speaking about those of us who pay into the system and dont get these big fat tax returns.  I have no idea if you fit into that category or not, of course-but if you (general you) get a tax return equal to or bigger than the amount you paid in taxes, then you are NOT the ones getting screwed here, because you still dont pay anything into the government.

Quoting Bookwormy:

Usmiddle class citizens contribute greatly already. And we are now paying 2% more again as well! We don't contribute nothing but more kids, crime, & sloth! Sounds like everyone, the poor, working poor, middle class, & rich to me!

Quoting talia-mom:

Make those that contribute pay even more for the flipping takers that provide nothing but more kids, crime, and sloth.

Bookwormy
by Platinum Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 8:16 PM
Wow, this was days ago I believe. You're still that upset about it? OK, use whatever poor language you like. Just expect that assertive women like myself may call you out on it. Its my thread, & its a public forum. I felt I had every right to do so. Still do.

I feel pretty good about myself. Thanks though for your concern, LOL.

Quoting parrishsky:

If you're an adult why did you come after me when I never even quoted you? I was simply stating that we all should pay taxes, the tax break we had was temporary... (read my original comment) Whining about it gets you nowhere. If you can't handle people using the abbreviation for stfu that's not my problem so don't attack me. I don't go after people that say the tiniest thing that may upset me... life is way to short to get bent like you are.
I still do not see where I was rude to you, I was stating we're all grown ups and if you don't like the words or abbreviations I choose that's your problem not mine.
Again, good luck. You clearly need a self evaluation.

Quoting Bookwormy:

Look at all the wealthy complaining here. Apparently whining is what the wealthy do! I have a backbone & I'm assertive enough to call folks out for being rude. You're right; we're all adults. I simply expect that we will all act & type like adults. Maybe you tell folks that in person at work or in your friendships. I treat others with respect & expect respect in return.

Good luck with your lack of grace & concern for others.

Quoting parrishsky:

First of all I never "quoted" you, I was speaking in general to the group and those complaining about paying their taxes. I can say STFU if I choose to do so. We're grown ups here and most of us have back bones and can take a dose of reality.

Good luck with your whining.

Quoting Bookwormy:

Why must you be so rude? I wasn't rude to you. I didn't tell you to shut up, let alone to shut the F up. You can use some common courtesy with me as well.

Quoting parrishsky:

It was a nice gift when many of us needed it most.

Welcome to the real world people, pay your taxes and stfu. It was only temporary after all.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN