Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Why does everyone question my sons name?? Edit

Posted by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 8:28 PM
  • 290 Replies
1 mom liked this

I don't mind that it's questioned, so much as when people won't let it go. I used to explain that Bubba was a nickname but then I would be pestered by people wanting to know his real name and God forbid they find out, they'll call him it. Which drives him up the wall. So I finally just stopped explaining and started saying, Yes this is his real name.

Yesterday at 7-11 they guy behind the counter asked what my son's name was. (we're regulars) I told him Bubba. He paused for a sec and said, "Really?" "Is that his real name?" I looked him dead in the eye and said "Yes it is."

That is the name my son chose. If he wants people to know what his given name is, he'll tell them.

Now I know it's an unusual name. But so is my daughter's Audi. Yet no one goes around demanding to know her real name. So what gives?

by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 8:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
stormcris
by Christy on Jan. 2, 2013 at 8:30 PM
1 mom liked this

Because it is very common for that to be a nickname more often and their real name can range all over the place.

rfurlongg
by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 8:31 PM
1 mom liked this
Since we don't interact with your son, can you tell us his real name ;-)?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
paganbaby
by Teflon Don on Jan. 2, 2013 at 8:32 PM

That may be so. But if I introduce him as such wouldn't you think that's what I want you to call him? Why the need to know his real name? It's not like he wants you to call him that.

Quoting stormcris:

Because it is very common for that to be a nickname more often and their real name can range all over the place.

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

stormcris
by Christy on Jan. 2, 2013 at 8:34 PM

Curiosity.

Quoting paganbaby:

That may be so. But if I introduce him as such wouldn't you think that's what I want you to call him? Why the need to know his real name? It's not like he wants you to call him that.

Quoting stormcris:

Would you prefer to be barbecue or teriyaki?
paganbaby
by Teflon Don on Jan. 2, 2013 at 8:34 PM

I asked him if I could say and he said NO! It's Bubba! LOL

Quoting rfurlongg:

Since we don't interact with your son, can you tell us his real name ;-)?

mlg1989
Watashi wa anata o aishite Mugiwara Kaizokuban <3
Yesterday at 11:49 PM
by Bronze Member on Jan. 2, 2013 at 8:35 PM
1 mom liked this
Because Bubba is typically a nickname. People also associate it with the Guy from Forrest Gump.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
paganbaby
by Teflon Don on Jan. 2, 2013 at 8:35 PM
1 mom liked this

Eh, then they can stay currious :-)

Quoting stormcris:

Curiosity.

Quoting paganbaby:

Quoting stormcris:

TruthSeeker.
by Milami on Jan. 2, 2013 at 8:35 PM
3 moms liked this

Maybe because for a lot of people, at least around here, Bubba is a name only family or close friends call a young boy. Not strangers!! I would be a irked if someone I didn't know called my son by his nickname. Maybe the person was trying to be respectful? 

katy_kay08
by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 8:36 PM
7 moms liked this

because they make the mistake of thinking you aren't odd.  

paganbaby
by Teflon Don on Jan. 2, 2013 at 8:36 PM
1 mom liked this

Love that movie!!!

Quoting mlg1989:

Because Bubba is typically a nickname. People also associate it with the Guy from Forrest Gump.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)