Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Why does everyone question my sons name?? Edit

Posted by   + Show Post

I don't mind that it's questioned, so much as when people won't let it go. I used to explain that Bubba was a nickname but then I would be pestered by people wanting to know his real name and God forbid they find out, they'll call him it. Which drives him up the wall. So I finally just stopped explaining and started saying, Yes this is his real name.

Yesterday at 7-11 they guy behind the counter asked what my son's name was. (we're regulars) I told him Bubba. He paused for a sec and said, "Really?" "Is that his real name?" I looked him dead in the eye and said "Yes it is."

That is the name my son chose. If he wants people to know what his given name is, he'll tell them.

Now I know it's an unusual name. But so is my daughter's Audi. Yet no one goes around demanding to know her real name. So what gives?

by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 8:28 PM
Replies (21-30):
paganbaby
by Teflon Don on Jan. 2, 2013 at 8:46 PM

He said he hates it :-( *Whispers* It's Kaleb. But the looks don't bother him. He can be pretty oblivious sometimes,lol. It's me who's bugged. Not so much that it's questioned, I know it's almost always a nickname, but that people won't leave it alone. Like they HAVE to know what his "real" name is.

Quoting rfurlongg:

Wow, he really must not like his given name. I will generally call people be whatever they introduce themselves as. If he prefers to be called Bubba, he should probably get use odd looks now and then. 

Quoting paganbaby:

I asked him if I could say and he said NO! It's Bubba! LOL

Quoting rfurlongg:

Since we don't interact with your son, can you tell us his real name ;-)?

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

futureshock
by Ruby Member on Jan. 2, 2013 at 8:46 PM

You seriously don't know why people question that name?

TruthSeeker.
by Milami on Jan. 2, 2013 at 8:48 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting talia-mom:

Do you have a banjo?

Just curious, but what is that suppose to mean? Only uncouth inbred male rapists call their kids Bubba? 

rayroe2
by Bronze Member on Jan. 2, 2013 at 8:49 PM

I am confused, does he have a "real" name or is his real name bubba? Bubba is a common nickname that is why people would question it, because mostly family just uses nicknames. So people prob do get confused.

JTROX
by Gold Member on Jan. 2, 2013 at 8:50 PM
1 mom liked this

My sd ss is called Bubba

PinkParadox
by Bronze Member on Jan. 2, 2013 at 8:51 PM
Bubba is a form of "Bubby" or brother. Like Sissy being a form of sister. Granted, Sissy has been used as a given name...but is certainly not common. Bubba tends to carry the stigma of being "country" or redneck, so...people probably wonder if you actually named your child that. Unfortunately people judge, as we all know. Knowing it's a nickname, people probably wouldn't think too much of it. Thinking you named your child that, they would probably assume a lot of things.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
talia-mom
by Gold Member on Jan. 2, 2013 at 8:52 PM

Only?   Not at all.

She has a child she calls Bubba.   He didn't pull that name out of thin air at 2.

I just wondered if she had one and how backwoods she is if she thinks Bubba is actually a name that is going to help her child in life.

Quoting TruthSeeker.:

Quoting talia-mom:

Do you have a banjo?

Just curious, but what is that suppose to mean? Only uncouth inbred male rapists call their kids Bubba? 

amyme63
by Member on Jan. 2, 2013 at 8:55 PM
I feel awkward calling kids I don't really know by their nicknames. We had some friends whose son thy called "papi", or however you spell that. I know that's a traditional Hispanic nickname for little boys, but it was very awkward for us. I don't have the accent down, so I felt stupid saying it. He didn't even know his real name, and he was like 5. We all just avoided calling him anything at all. Awkward...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
katy_kay08
by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 8:55 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting TruthSeeker.:

Quoting talia-mom:

Do you have a banjo?

only inbred male rapists have banjos?  

Veni.Vidi.Vici.
by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 8:55 PM
1 mom liked this

This is the second post I've read, by you, about your son's name being Bubba. Isn't it sad that I recall that?

:face palm:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)