Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Why does everyone question my sons name?? Edit

Posted by   + Show Post

I don't mind that it's questioned, so much as when people won't let it go. I used to explain that Bubba was a nickname but then I would be pestered by people wanting to know his real name and God forbid they find out, they'll call him it. Which drives him up the wall. So I finally just stopped explaining and started saying, Yes this is his real name.

Yesterday at 7-11 they guy behind the counter asked what my son's name was. (we're regulars) I told him Bubba. He paused for a sec and said, "Really?" "Is that his real name?" I looked him dead in the eye and said "Yes it is."

That is the name my son chose. If he wants people to know what his given name is, he'll tell them.

Now I know it's an unusual name. But so is my daughter's Audi. Yet no one goes around demanding to know her real name. So what gives?

by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 8:28 PM
Replies (251-260):
paganbaby
by Teflon Don on Jan. 3, 2013 at 3:05 PM

Because if I do, I'll bugged into revealing his real name so they can call him that.

Quoting momto3B:

Then how about just saying that he chose it himself and he likes it. That is pretty cute. 

Quoting paganbaby:

I didn't chose it. He did.

Quoting momto3B:

Unfortuantely, you chose a name that althought attached to many positive, lesser known public figures, has been more clearly defined by the film industry as having negative connotations. 

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

XandersMomma07
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 3:06 PM
1 mom liked this

Not a problem. I understand being defensive when it comes to your kid, I'm the same way. My own family told me I was crazy for naming my son Xander.  It would be pretty funny to hear annouced though people would think I had lost my mind for giving a kid that for a name. LOL

Quoting paganbaby:

I'm sorry, you're right. I was just being a tad defensive.

Idk, I think it would be cute to hear weasel over the intercom LOL

Quoting XandersMomma07:

I wasn't saying anything about calling him Bubba that is your choice and his choice until you and your son decide differently.  My son would prefer to be called the weasel but he started school (pre k) this year and I didn't think that would go well because he is supposed to learn his name address and all that. I can just imagine him getting lost in a store and someone trying to help him and across the loudspeaker they say can the parents of the weasel please come to the courtesy desk. At least Bubba wouldn't be bad for that lol.

Quoting paganbaby:

If he wants to use his real name later that's great. In the mean time I'll continue calling him Bubba.

And totally respect your son wanting to be called Xander. My son's the exact opposite though. He'll tell you, don't call me Kaleb, call be Bubba,lol.

Quoting XandersMomma07:

Instead of saying it his real name tell people that he goes by Bubba. As he gets older he will want to use his real name. It is great that you let him have a say in what he wants to be known as but in some cases you have to be careful. For example I have a little stuffed weasel I have had since I was little whenmy son was 2 he asked what it was, I told him and he started saying I'm the weasel, our electric went out one night and he all of a sudden yells out I'm the weasel inthe dark (I couldn't help but laugh) He is 5 now and if it was up to him he would still be the Weasel so its his nickname but if someone calls him that besides family he will tell them NO my name is Xander.

talia-mom
by Gold Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 3:08 PM
If you think Nurse Bubba is going to be in demand, okay.

Quoting laineylarue:

My brother's nickname is Bubba & he has always gone by it, yet he had a good run in the navy,  he is a city firefighter & is finishing up his pre-reqs for nursing school.   I don't think in his 27 yrs it has done him any harm.  

Quoting talia-mom:

Do you have a professional job? If not, you have no clue what you are doing to him. Allowing him to live his life as Bubba is going to hurt him.

Quoting paganbaby:

That's why he has a professional name to fall back on if he choses to use it. I myself go by my nickname and have ever since I was a baby. My mom gave me a "grown up" name as well but I haven't had the desire to use it.

Quoting talia-mom:

If he insists on Bubba, be prepared for people to think he and your family is certain way.   Many are going to look down on you.   You may not care, but when he is applying for scholarships, Bubba vs Jonathan is going to put him at a disadvantage. 

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
WandaSue
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 3:10 PM
1 mom liked this

I think people associate Bubba with a nickname. However no one has the right to judge you. Its your right

lizzielouaf
by Gold Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 3:10 PM
1 mom liked this

Now you're just being a responding like a petulant child.

Quoting talia-mom:

Quoting laineylarue:

My brother's nickname is Bubba & he has always gone by it, yet he had a good run in the navy,  he is a city firefighter & is finishing up his pre-reqs for nursing school.   I don't think in his 27 yrs it has done him any harm.  

Quoting talia-mom:

Do you have a professional job? If not, you have no clue what you are doing to him. Allowing him to live his life as Bubba is going to hurt him.

Quoting paganbaby:

That's why he has a professional name to fall back on if he choses to use it. I myself go by my nickname and have ever since I was a baby. My mom gave me a "grown up" name as well but I haven't had the desire to use it.

Quoting talia-mom:

If he insists on Bubba, be prepared for people to think he and your family is certain way.   Many are going to look down on you.   You may not care, but when he is applying for scholarships, Bubba vs Jonathan is going to put him at a disadvantage. 

paganbaby
by Teflon Don on Jan. 3, 2013 at 3:10 PM

I love the name Xander! When I was pregnant with dd, the boy name we chose was Alexander and I planned on shorting it to Xander.

Speaking of family, I got so much crap for naming him Kaleb. My sil's name is Kayla and they thought the names sound to much alike. Yeah...don't care. But now it doesn't matter cause we don't even call him it LOL

Quoting XandersMomma07:

Not a problem. I understand being defensive when it comes to your kid, I'm the same way. My own family told me I was crazy for naming my son Xander.  It would be pretty funny to hear annouced though people would think I had lost my mind for giving a kid that for a name. LOL *Giggles*

Quoting paganbaby:

Quoting XandersMomma07:

I wasn't saying anything about calling him Bubba that is your choice and his choice until you and your son decide differently.  My son would prefer to be called the weasel but he started school (pre k) this year and I didn't think that would go well because he is supposed to learn his name address and all that. I can just imagine him getting lost in a store and someone trying to help him and across the loudspeaker they say can the parents of the weasel please come to the courtesy desk. At least Bubba wouldn't be bad for that lol.

Quoting paganbaby:

If he wants to use his real name later that's great. In the mean time I'll continue calling him Bubba.

And totally respect your son wanting to be called Xander. My son's the exact opposite though. He'll tell you, don't call me Kaleb, call be Bubba,lol.

Quoting XandersMomma07:

Instead of saying it his real name tell people that he goes by Bubba. As he gets older he will want to use his real name. It is great that you let him have a say in what he wants to be known as but in some cases you have to be careful. For example I have a little stuffed weasel I have had since I was little whenmy son was 2 he asked what it was, I told him and he started saying I'm the weasel, our electric went out one night and he all of a sudden yells out I'm the weasel inthe dark (I couldn't help but laugh) He is 5 now and if it was up to him he would still be the Weasel so its his nickname but if someone calls him that besides family he will tell them NO my name is Xander.

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

laineylarue
by Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 3:12 PM
1 mom liked this

It's ok, just let her be.  She's just mad that I busted her bubble :)  

Quoting lizzielouaf:

Now you're just being a responding like a petulant child.

Quoting talia-mom:

Quoting laineylarue:

Quoting talia-mom:

Quoting paganbaby:

Quoting talia-mom:

XandersMomma07
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 3:15 PM
1 mom liked this

That is exactly what we did his dad wanted Alexander but I had been teased by a kid with that name when i was younger so we shortened it and his middle name is Nicholas which was his dads best friend who was killed in a car accident when he was a teenager.

Quoting paganbaby:

I love the name Xander! When I was pregnant with dd, the boy name we chose was Alexander and I planned on shorting it to Xander.

Speaking of family, I got so much crap for naming him Kaleb. My sil's name is Kayla and they thought the names sound to much alike. Yeah...don't care. But now it doesn't matter cause we don't even call him it LOL

Quoting XandersMomma07:

Not a problem. I understand being defensive when it comes to your kid, I'm the same way. My own family told me I was crazy for naming my son Xander.  It would be pretty funny to hear annouced though people would think I had lost my mind for giving a kid that for a name. LOL *Giggles*

Quoting paganbaby:

Quoting XandersMomma07:

Quoting paganbaby:

Quoting XandersMomma07:

laineylarue
by Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 3:15 PM

I have a Xander, he's 7 & I got the same thing!  They even had to make sure I was spelling it corectly LOL  Oh & to top it off my 10 yr olds name is Kaiden..gasp...I have all kinds of crazy going on here haha

Quoting XandersMomma07:

Not a problem. I understand being defensive when it comes to your kid, I'm the same way. My own family told me I was crazy for naming my son Xander.  It would be pretty funny to hear annouced though people would think I had lost my mind for giving a kid that for a name. LOL

Quoting paganbaby:

Quoting XandersMomma07:

Quoting paganbaby:

Quoting XandersMomma07:

XandersMomma07
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 3:20 PM

I know what you mean my family actually told me in the hospital when he was born that th nurses wrote it wrong because it should be spelled Zander. My bf's dad can't pronounce it right either he says its a wierd name but calls him Sander or Lander. The way I see it if he don't like his first name when he's older he can use the middle one which is nicholas.

Quoting laineylarue:

I have a Xander, he's 7 & I got the same thing!  They even had to make sure I was spelling it corectly LOL  Oh & to top it off my 10 yr olds name is Kaiden..gasp...I have all kinds of crazy going on here haha

Quoting XandersMomma07:

Quoting paganbaby:

Quoting XandersMomma07:

Quoting paganbaby:

Quoting XandersMomma07:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN