Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Why does everyone question my sons name?? Edit

Posted by   + Show Post

I don't mind that it's questioned, so much as when people won't let it go. I used to explain that Bubba was a nickname but then I would be pestered by people wanting to know his real name and God forbid they find out, they'll call him it. Which drives him up the wall. So I finally just stopped explaining and started saying, Yes this is his real name.

Yesterday at 7-11 they guy behind the counter asked what my son's name was. (we're regulars) I told him Bubba. He paused for a sec and said, "Really?" "Is that his real name?" I looked him dead in the eye and said "Yes it is."

That is the name my son chose. If he wants people to know what his given name is, he'll tell them.

Now I know it's an unusual name. But so is my daughter's Audi. Yet no one goes around demanding to know her real name. So what gives?

by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 8:28 PM
Replies (271-280):
Kace323
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 5:21 PM
1 mom liked this

All over the place is right!!! I live in the sticks, so we have "Bubba's" all over.  I know a Bubba whose name is Jerry Lynn, another who is named Elias. 

Quoting stormcris:

Because it is very common for that to be a nickname more often and their real name can range all over the place.

jean_marie1987
by Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 5:27 PM
We have a similar issue. Our son goes by 'B'. People ask his real name, and when I say Billy, they say, "Well, is that short for William?"
. Nope, just Billy, but he goes by B.
I have relatives that refuse to call him B, though. :-(

Quoting paganbaby:

He said he hates it :-( *Whispers* It's Kaleb. But the looks don't bother him. He can be pretty oblivious sometimes,lol. It's me who's bugged. Not so much that it's questioned, I know it's almost always a nickname, but that people won't leave it alone. Like they HAVE to know what his "real" name is.

Quoting rfurlongg:

Wow, he really must not like his given name. I will generally call people be whatever they introduce themselves as. If he prefers to be called Bubba, he should probably get use odd looks now and then. 

Quoting paganbaby:

I asked him if I could say and he said NO! It's Bubba! LOL

Quoting rfurlongg:

Since we don't interact with your son, can you tell us his real name ;-)?

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
paganbaby
by Teflon Don on Jan. 3, 2013 at 6:02 PM

That was jis real name? Cool! lol

And this right here.
If the child wants to be clled by their given name fine, but if they want to be call by a nickname thats fine too.

Quoting Danyell9301:

I grow up with a few guys called Bubba. Only one of them Bubba was his real name. There are people out there who will always question a childs name. Not much to do, but just go with the flow. If the child wants to be clled by their given name fine, but if they want to be call by a nickname thats fine too. 

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

LucyMom08
by Gold Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 6:15 PM

So my daughter is Thor...pretty badass...haha...

paganbaby
by Teflon Don on Jan. 3, 2013 at 6:22 PM

sidesplittinglaughter

Quoting lizzielouaf:

Clearly your "reality" is not the reality for Bubba the soon to be nurse. If you legitimately can not see how your comments are venomous regarding the name of a child, then in the words of John Boehner...

Quoting talia-mom:

Or telling you the reality.

Quoting lizzielouaf:

Now you're just being a responding like a petulant child.

Quoting talia-mom:

If you think Nurse Bubba is going to be in demand, okay.

Quoting laineylarue:

My brother's nickname is Bubba & he has always gone by it, yet he had a good run in the navy,  he is a city firefighter & is finishing up his pre-reqs for nursing school.   I don't think in his 27 yrs it has done him any harm.  

Quoting talia-mom:

Do you have a professional job? If not, you have no clue what you are doing to him. Allowing him to live his life as Bubba is going to hurt him.

Quoting paganbaby:

That's why he has a professional name to fall back on if he choses to use it. I myself go by my nickname and have ever since I was a baby. My mom gave me a "grown up" name as well but I haven't had the desire to use it.

Quoting talia-mom:

If he insists on Bubba, be prepared for people to think he and your family is certain way.   Many are going to look down on you.   You may not care, but when he is applying for scholarships, Bubba vs Jonathan is going to put him at a disadvantage. 

kaitybird
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 9:34 PM
1 mom liked this

This seems to be the world we live in these days.  WE feel the NEED to know anything and everything about everyone.  I grew up knowing a lot of Bubba's.  By the time I usually found out their real names it didn't fit them as well as Bubba did.  :)  I even know a guy by the name of Jimbo, that is a name that isn't so common anymore. 

If your sone likes bubba then bubba it is and if he would like to reveal his real name we will be around!  :)  

dustinsmom1
by JENN on Jan. 3, 2013 at 9:45 PM

We call my son Bubba too! :) My Dads brother was "Bubba" as well!! :) Tha being said, i know some people are uncomfortable calling children by their parents pet names or nick names.

JanetMonroe1991
by Bronze Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 10:11 PM

Quoting paganbaby:

Quoting rfurlongg:

Are you often in the habit of running things by your son before doing them? 

HollyBoBolly
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 10:15 PM

My family has had several Thor's over the years. I'm of Norwegian-descent and it's pretty common, even today.

Quoting Mommy_of_Riley:

I'd rather call someone Bubba than half the names in my son's school...

Treasure. Pepper. Thor (no I'm not kidding). Rainbow.

Do I need to go on?

paganbaby
by Teflon Don on Jan. 4, 2013 at 12:35 AM

Quoting JanetMonroe1991:

Quoting paganbaby:

Quoting rfurlongg:

Are you often in the habit of running things by your son before doing them? 

When it's something that concerns him and him alone, yes.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN