Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Why does everyone question my sons name?? Edit

Posted by   + Show Post

I don't mind that it's questioned, so much as when people won't let it go. I used to explain that Bubba was a nickname but then I would be pestered by people wanting to know his real name and God forbid they find out, they'll call him it. Which drives him up the wall. So I finally just stopped explaining and started saying, Yes this is his real name.

Yesterday at 7-11 they guy behind the counter asked what my son's name was. (we're regulars) I told him Bubba. He paused for a sec and said, "Really?" "Is that his real name?" I looked him dead in the eye and said "Yes it is."

That is the name my son chose. If he wants people to know what his given name is, he'll tell them.

Now I know it's an unusual name. But so is my daughter's Audi. Yet no one goes around demanding to know her real name. So what gives?

by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 8:28 PM
Replies (41-50):
talia-mom
by Gold Member on Jan. 2, 2013 at 9:13 PM
Well, that would be wrong.

It was a redneck assumption.

Quoting TruthSeeker.:

Quoting katy_kay08:

Quoting TruthSeeker.:

Quoting talia-mom:

Do you have a banjo?

Just curious, but what is that suppose to mean? Only uncouth inbred male rapists call their kids Bubba? 

only inbred male rapists have banjos?  

I assumed the banjo comment was a Deliverance reference and I believe it was a correct assumption.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
paganbaby
by Teflon Don on Jan. 2, 2013 at 9:14 PM

Ah, that makes sense :-)

Obnly close family is allowed to call him Bubby,lol.

Quoting TruthSeeker.:

He goes by his given name. The only people that call him by his nicknames are family and his therapists.

Quoting paganbaby:

Oh absolutely. I wouldn't call someone something unless they told me that was thier name. Now I have a question, does your son go by his given name? Or another name other than what you call him?

Quoting TruthSeeker.:

I guess that makes sense. I don't introduce my son by his nickname, but if I called him by his nickname and someone repeated it, I would be none too happy about it.

Incidently, I'm sure your sons given name is a good one regardless of whether he likes it or not. My son has a very different name that I don't share with strangers either. Actually, I don't think my son shares his name with any other person in the entire US :)

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

talia-mom
by Gold Member on Jan. 2, 2013 at 9:15 PM
Do you have a professional job? If not, you have no clue what you are doing to him. Allowing him to live his life as Bubba is going to hurt him.

Quoting paganbaby:

That's why he has a professional name to fall back on if he choses to use it. I myself go by my nickname and have ever since I was a baby. My mom gave me a "grown up" name as well but I haven't had the desire to use it.

Quoting talia-mom:

If he insists on Bubba, be prepared for people to think he and your family is certain way.   Many are going to look down on you.   You may not care, but when he is applying for scholarships, Bubba vs Jonathan is going to put him at a disadvantage. 

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
paganbaby
by Teflon Don on Jan. 2, 2013 at 9:16 PM

Not so much question it. But why they won't let it go and demand to know his "real" name.

Quoting futureshock:

You seriously don't know why people question that name?

TruthSeeker.
by Milami on Jan. 2, 2013 at 9:16 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Veni.Vidi.Vici.:

Quoting talia-mom:

Only?   Not at all.

She has a child she calls Bubba.   He didn't pull that name out of thin air at 2.

I just wondered if she had one and how backwoods she is if she thinks Bubba is actually a name that is going to help her child in life.

Quoting TruthSeeker.:

Quoting talia-mom:

Do you have a banjo?

Just curious, but what is that suppose to mean? Only uncouth inbred male rapists call their kids Bubba? 

We call our son Bubba or Bubby. It's a term of endearment for brother.

We also call our son Bubba or Buddy for the same reason.

To imply we are backwards or redneck because of it is just rude and downright bitchy. It is in no way setting our child up for any kind of failure or future issues and I find the implication that it does to be absurd.

Second paragraph directed at talia.

paganbaby
by Teflon Don on Jan. 2, 2013 at 9:17 PM

He has a given name also.

Quoting rayroe2:

I am confused, does he have a "real" name or is his real name bubba? Bubba is a common nickname that is why people would question it, because mostly family just uses nicknames. So people prob do get confused.

TruthSeeker.
by Milami on Jan. 2, 2013 at 9:19 PM
1 mom liked this

Well I guess that makes an ASS our of you now doesn't it?

Quoting talia-mom:

Well, that would be wrong.

It was a redneck assumption.

Quoting TruthSeeker.:

Quoting katy_kay08:

Quoting TruthSeeker.:

Quoting talia-mom:

Do you have a banjo?

only inbred male rapists have banjos?  

I assumed the banjo comment was a Deliverance reference and I believe it was a correct assumption.

rayroe2
by Bronze Member on Jan. 2, 2013 at 9:19 PM

why doesnt he like his real name?

Quoting paganbaby:

He has a given name also.

Quoting rayroe2:

I am confused, does he have a "real" name or is his real name bubba? Bubba is a common nickname that is why people would question it, because mostly family just uses nicknames. So people prob do get confused.

paganbaby
by Teflon Don on Jan. 2, 2013 at 9:19 PM

When we brought his sister home from the hospital I told him that he was a big brother now. He said, I Bubba now! And from then on, demanded to be called Bubba.

Quoting talia-mom:

Only?   Not at all.

She has a child she calls Bubba.   He didn't pull that name out of thin air at 2.

I just wondered if she had one and how backwoods she is if she thinks Bubba is actually a name that is going to help her child in life.

Quoting TruthSeeker.:

Quoting talia-mom:

Do you have a banjo?

Stephanie329
by Platinum Member on Jan. 2, 2013 at 9:19 PM
Lol.

Quoting katy_kay08:

because they make the mistake of thinking you aren't odd.  

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN