Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Dad drinks while Mom is Pregnant..Fair?

My husband I use to enjoy an adult beverage togther a few times a week..sometimes it was a happy hour drink or just a glass of wine with dinner. Now WE are pregnant and he doesnt understand that even though it may have been a stressful day at work for him and a glass of wine sounds great, I had the same amount of stess and can't have the relaxing glass of wine. I've metioned this to him and it didnt get a great response. Suggestions on explaing why this isn't fair? Or should I just drop it? 

by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 9:56 PM
Replies (121-130):
trulyblessed618
by Bronze Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 2:48 PM
How often does he drink at home?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
talia-mom
by Gold Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 3:01 PM
I was more upset about giving up sushi than alcohol.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Bitchess
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 3:31 PM

You're pregnant he is not so he should be able to enjoy a glass or two of wine/beer whatever adult beverage. When I was expecting I didn't tell my husband he couldn't have band practice and not enjoy a beer. Same thing when we went out to eat, I didn't pitch a fit because I couldn't drink.  You shouldn't have gotten pregnant if you didn't like the fact you weren't able to drink and others are still able to.

boo   Daisypath Anniversary tickers

jillianmayasmom
by Bronze Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 3:31 PM
"We" aren't pregnant. You are pregnant and expecting him to stop drinking because you can't is childish and ridiculous.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
wenchmommy381
by Wenchy on Jan. 3, 2013 at 4:02 PM

My bigger concern would be if either (or both) of you NEED a drink at the end of the day. I would be the last person to say don't drink (hell, some people still have a sip or two while pregnant), but telling him he can't drink because you can't drink is unfair.

And unless he's about to pass a 7-something pound life through his unmentionables, he is NOT pregnant. 

LindaClement
by Thatwoman on Jan. 3, 2013 at 4:06 PM

Fair? I'd say 'drop it.'

He also doesn't get to revel in the joy of personally creating and sustaining a whole new life.

You get to feel smug about living a healthy lifestyle for a new life (and yourself).

LynnyNick
by New Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 4:21 PM

Drop it. I never expected SO to give up drinking because I'm pregnant. Just seems a little silly.

Aislinn
by Silver Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 4:23 PM

I never really understood this. So my husband drank when I was pregnant. Heck, my baby shower turned into a frat party. lol Maybe if I was not vomiting constantly and actually wanted a drink, I would have felt differently? Of course, different strokes for different folks. I understand your point.

samanthastaatss
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 4:24 PM

If it bothers you that he drinks, I would hope he would be considerate enough to quit for you. Me and my husband occasionally have drinks together but if he wanted to quit or I wanted to quit, we would do it together. Seems more meaningful that way.

nova.mommy
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 4:25 PM

Drop it.  YOU are carrying a child, not him.  Is life equal?  No!

My DH is diabetic.  Does he expect/request/demand me to never eat candy again?  No.

I am on medication that does not react well to alcohol.  There for I have not had more than a sip or two here and there since I was 13(30+ years).  Even at our wedding I only had a sip of champagne at the toast.  I would never request him not to drink(not that he drinks that much anyway).

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)