Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Dad drinks while Mom is Pregnant..Fair?

My husband I use to enjoy an adult beverage togther a few times a week..sometimes it was a happy hour drink or just a glass of wine with dinner. Now WE are pregnant and he doesnt understand that even though it may have been a stressful day at work for him and a glass of wine sounds great, I had the same amount of stess and can't have the relaxing glass of wine. I've metioned this to him and it didnt get a great response. Suggestions on explaing why this isn't fair? Or should I just drop it? 

by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 9:56 PM
Replies (131-140):
Peaceful.chaos
by Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 4:26 PM
The only reason you're not drinking is because you're growing a baby. He is not. I think it's stupid to expect him not have a drink during your pregnancy. The whole "no fair" is childish.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cabrandy03
by Bronze Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 4:34 PM

I'd drop it.  My husband would have a drink or two here or there when I was pregnant and I didn't let it bother me.

bethgoedeken
by Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 4:37 PM
1 mom liked this

I'd let it go, its not like he's getting trashed and expecting you to take care of him. (My ex did that, it pissed me off!) A drink here and there is no big deal. Why not get some sparkling cider or fancy soda and drink it out of a fancy glass with him? You can still enjoy the time with him and feel a pretty.

Kace323
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 5:17 PM

I understand why it upsets you, buttttt you should be happy he's just coming home and having a glass of wine.  My daughter's dad used to leave nearly every night and get hammered drunk and not come home until 3 or 4 a.m. (YES I LEFT HIM. LOL)

He's home and he's still sober! Be happy and go ahead and let it slide! =)

LilyofPhilly
by Gold Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 5:21 PM
He just shouldn't do it in front of you. It's concerning, though, that you make it sound like you need booze to relax.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
ANSLUASI
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 5:43 PM

I am allergic to wheat and haven't gotten to eat a "normal" cookie, cake, pie, pizza, toast, pancake, noodle or bread since 4th grade. I still miss it like crazy. Should my family not be allowed to eat it in front of me so that I don't have to watch them enjoying something I can't have?

If you have to get up to nurse the baby, do you plan on making him sit up with you so that you are both equally sleep deprived?

Stop keeping score and being petty. It isn't 6th grade.

Find something else to relax with. Try a cup of tea. If you HAVE to have a glass of wine to relax, then you have a bigger problem than jealousy to deal with.

toomanypoodles
by Ruby Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 5:44 PM

We don't drink---I don't even get the attraction to the stuff. 

jynkx
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 5:49 PM

just drop it.  

JanuaryBaby06
by Bronze Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 5:56 PM

i agree with you. its both of your baby, he should be doing it to support you.

RandiBear
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 7:07 PM

Quoting mommymanning08:

My husband I use to enjoy an adult beverage togther a few times a week..sometimes it was a happy hour drink or just a glass of wine with dinner. Now WE are pregnant and he doesnt understand that even though it may have been a stressful day at work for him and a glass of wine sounds great, I had the same amount of stess and can't have the relaxing glass of wine. I've metioned this to him and it didnt get a great response. Suggestions on explaing why this isn't fair? Or should I just drop it? 

Okay, so while I understand that (right before we found out I was preg we'd just bought a huge pack of my fav wine coolers...bummer for me)... I think maybe it's just the act of having a drink with him that you miss the most. What hubby and I did, was he would pour the wine cooler into a wine glass and I would get a sparkling cider or white or red grape juice or something. It was nice to  just be able to sit and sip with him without it being made CLEAR we had different drinks (and bonus is the grape juice is EXCELLENT for a preg woman's digestive system!)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)