Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Dad drinks while Mom is Pregnant..Fair?

My husband I use to enjoy an adult beverage togther a few times a week..sometimes it was a happy hour drink or just a glass of wine with dinner. Now WE are pregnant and he doesnt understand that even though it may have been a stressful day at work for him and a glass of wine sounds great, I had the same amount of stess and can't have the relaxing glass of wine. I've metioned this to him and it didnt get a great response. Suggestions on explaing why this isn't fair? Or should I just drop it? 

by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 9:56 PM
Replies (151-160):
paganbaby
by Teflon Don on Jan. 4, 2013 at 12:44 AM

I don't know about abstaining but I say it's not fair for him to drink in front of you.

If he wants a glass of wine he can go somewhere else then brush his teeth. It's not fair to you.

frogbender
by Captain Underpants on Jan. 4, 2013 at 12:47 AM
1 mom liked this

So, by your reasoning, if there is a food that makes you sick during pregnancy that your husband loves, he should not eat it. Or do anything that you cannot do while pregnant. That's just kind of sad. 

Bookwormy
by Platinum Member on Jan. 4, 2013 at 12:48 AM
I was ttc off & on for 3 years & quit drinking every cycle we tried. My partner knew well before I got pregnant that once I was pregnant I didn't want her to drink either, & she was fine with that. And she was fine with that. At least that's what I recall now. We basically just didn't have alcohol in the house any longer while I was preggers. But this is something we discussed ahead of time. I'm not sure why I cared so much in retrospect, except I was ttc for so long, & every cycle was treated like was pregnant. I spent so much time acting like I was pregnant when I wasn't! I just wanted some solidarity in the process I guess. Then I had a miserable 1st & 3rd trimester. I don't know what to tell you. If he doesn't agree I wouldn't want to argue about it. My partner was very agreeable, so it was no biggie.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Mommy_of_Riley
by Jes on Jan. 4, 2013 at 12:59 AM
3 moms liked this
Some of you crack me up! If you don't want to give up your alcohol every night then don't get pregnant...

And making your SO cut out things you can't have while pregnant is just asking for resentment...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Tara922c
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 2:08 AM

Drop it. My husband can't drink when he is on-call for work, but would NEVER tell me not to have a glass of wine because he is on call. I didn't drink on new year's eve, so that I could drive home. My dh enjoys a been when he is not oncall with dinner. There is no way I would take that away from him simply because I am pregnant.

MWood18
by Member on Jan. 4, 2013 at 8:14 AM
I would drop it. I didn't even think about my husband drinking while I was pregnant. he wasn't!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
janessa27
by Janessa on Jan. 4, 2013 at 9:25 AM

I rarely ever drank- but I keep having dreams of strawberry daiquiris! lol

I honestly do not care if he has his occasionally beer when we go out to dinner. I get the joy of feeling our 3rd little boy moving and jumping around in my belly~ that 100% outweighs a drink!

pregnancy week by week
witchybabymomma
by Member on Jan. 4, 2013 at 10:36 AM

I say drop it. Personally it wouldn't bother me. Try to find a different stress reliever.

batmansgirl
by Bronze Member on Jan. 4, 2013 at 11:10 AM

Drop it. Your the one who's carrying a fetus.

dustinsmom1
by JENN on Jan. 4, 2013 at 11:11 AM

Uhm WE are not pregnant, YOU are pregnant. Him drinking will not effect the babies health. You CAN have a Glass of wine here and there, ask your doctor. If you feel you shouldn't or cant, suck it up, youre preggo Momma, not him.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)